Profile for hula-girl12 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating & highly recommended!, 3 Sept. 2012
I read this book while travelling around China and I found it a really fascinating autobiographical account. I have read reviews here about how this book is too subjective; too made; unreal etc. But I found that it opened my eyes to the interesting history of China.

I look at it as a very well-written and engaging account of one person's family history across three generations which has got me really interested in Chinese history and the cultural revolution in general. There were times in the book which were hard to get through but ultimately, I really enjoyed reading this.

Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher Book 4)
Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent; full of twists to keep you guessing!, 2 Sept. 2012
I've read some reviews about this author which suggests that she's a bit over-the-top with plot twists but I found this book engaging and a definite page-turner.

The story starts with a "is it suicide or is it a murder" which quickly leads to different avenues for the detectives to explore. I enjoyed the twists and turns immensely - you are left guessing until the end which I find refreshing. Normally I guess the ending and just read on to see if I'm right but this author leads you in, waits til you're comfy and then springs a surprise on you.

I enjoyed the pace and even the characters. There's not a lot of personal detail, not a lot of crafting the characters etc. but I think it's a series so maybe I didn't start at the first book. In any event, the characters' personalities did not overshadow my enjoyment of the book (which annoying characters tend to do.)

Definitely recommended if you're looking for something more than your average whodunit.

White Angel Murder - A Thriller (Jon Stanton Mysteries Book 1)
White Angel Murder - A Thriller (Jon Stanton Mysteries Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but didn't live up to expectations, 1 Sept. 2012
I was dying to read this having read about the series on Amazon. Tortured detective, serial killer - right up my street and in my mind, lots of plot twists. I suppose that's the trouble with expectations, you get quite disappointed when they're not met.

The good bits - it was a very enjoyable read, nothing technical you have to get your head round and you keep turning the page (though not out of desperation to find out what happens next).

The bad bits - the plot fails to get you thinking or excited. In fact it's downright "eh?" in places- well actually the majority of the book. It got off to an interesting start but then kinda does a 360 and you're left wondering how in a single page, the protagonist has managed to become a full-blown fugitive. This lasts for around a few chapters and then (again!) in the space of a page, his wife saves the day and it's all good again. No mention of repercussions for the Chief - the two characters just get along again. The real killer is related to a character but it just seemed a bit...well, nothing. The storyline just wasn't tied in very well and there was no real climax.

Readable; yes but am I rushing to purchase the next book...no.

I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes...: . . . From the Frontline of Flatsharing
I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes...: . . . From the Frontline of Flatsharing
by Oonagh O'Hagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant; witty and full of laugh-out-louds!, 31 Aug. 2012
Luckily I never lived in a flatshare with anyone that had inclination to write such notes but this captured all the annoyances and frustrations that we had with each other occasionally; captured very brilliantly too.

Absolutely great and it makes a terrific present too.

Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally! It's OVER!, 31 Aug. 2012
Once I start a series, I must finish it. This is why I had to endure through 3 previous books and finally to this one.

I needed a break after every chapter because Bella's character just annoyed me too much to carry on reading. She was a hell of a lot less annoying previously.

Aside from major character annoyance, the storyline was quite predictable. The highlight (if you can call it that) was probably when they were faced with the Volturis and Bella's powers kicked in. But I can't quite tell whether I enjoyed it because it was good or just because it was near the end.

Your Mother Doesn't Work Here: Painfully polite and hilariously hostile notes
Your Mother Doesn't Work Here: Painfully polite and hilariously hostile notes
by Kerry Miller

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a laugh!, 31 Aug. 2012
I got this as I love this genre having been bought "I Lick My Cheese" so I thought it would make a great present for a friend that has the same sense of humour.

Some of these are really laugh-out-loud while others don't quite hit the spot. However, for a bit of silliness and fun, it is always interesting to get tips on how to complain in future.

Ransom Beach (Stephanie Chalice Thrillers Book 2)
Ransom Beach (Stephanie Chalice Thrillers Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 2nd book; will not disappoint like most sequels, 31 Aug. 2012
I really enjoyed the first book and was intrigued as to whether the second book could hold my attention like the first. It most certainly met my expectations; it was just as funny, witty, gripping and a page-turner as the first one.

From a pure plot perspective, it was sustainable and not too wild in the wind. I enjoyed how the interactions between Stephanie and her mum gave a bit of light-heartedness against the backdrop of this urgent kidnapping. I think the characters could have been developed a little more but to be honest, that's just a side point and I'm just excited to read the 3rd book which I've already downloaded.

Absolutely recommended. :)

Pretty Twisted
Pretty Twisted

3.0 out of 5 stars Teen thriller - you regress and then you're thankful you're an adult, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pretty Twisted (Kindle Edition)
I thought I would give this a go after it came up on my Recommendations a couple of times. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't exactly riveted by it either.

When it's a teen thriller; nothing too dramatic can really happen. Everyone remembers that one love they had which may have ended after university started or after there was some distance; you grow apart and then break up. However, Jonathan seems unwilling to accept growing apart from his girlfriend. He's obsessed - bit stereotypical to have a geek and a beautiful girl together really.

Equally, he meets someone online - a 14 year old ugly duckling who misleads him with a fake photo. Together they track down his wonderful girlfriend who may or may not have gone missing / been abducted by a serial killer and then they end up solving a crime.

Good for a read when you're bored but like I said, after I finished, I was really happy that I am more rational, more confident and most importantly, don't have to ask my parents for lifts or train money.

Unlikely Killer
Unlikely Killer

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlikely Killer - yes but a little too unbelieveable?, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Unlikely Killer (Kindle Edition)
I have to say I couldn't put this book down when I started reading it.

Going through the ups and downs of the plot; discovering body after body was very exciting. I enjoyed how it flitted between the killer's perspective and the protagonist's perspective. Great writing.

My only gripe - the ending was far too unbelievable and I suppose the bit in the middle where she can pass for both a man and a woman; both attractive to the opposite sex! After you get to the end, you realise just how unbelieveable that bit in the middle was. Even so, I give it 4 stars because well, I'm generous with artistic licence and overall, I enjoyed the book immensely. :)

Perfect Crime
Perfect Crime

4.0 out of 5 stars Short Story alert!!, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Perfect Crime (Kindle Edition)
I read the blurb and thought it certainly looked very interesting. I was settling down for a great little read. Turns out, that's exactly what it was - great but "little". As much as I like to get to the ending of murder mysteries, this one was too short even for me.

I must have mis-read that it was really just a short story so for those of you wanting to buy it, I think it took me around 10minutes to finish (if that!).

That being said, I enjoyed what I read. The plot was interesting and I ended up hoping she didn't get caught even if the blurb had told me something different already.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4