Profile for Laura Shapland > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Grass-Fed Nation: Getting Back the Food We Deserve
Grass-Fed Nation: Getting Back the Food We Deserve

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative but repetitive., 13 Aug. 2017
There is a lot of decent, accessible science in here, but the tone of the book is rather preachy and unecessarily repetitive. The same information could be given in 2/3 of the length of the book. It definitely makes one think more about the choices one makes at the shops; sadly the shops are often a long way behind in their education.

White Noise Pro
White Noise Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It., 13 Aug. 2017
This review is from: White Noise Pro (App)
I downloaded the free edition of this to my iPod some months ago, so I could study in cafes and other noisy environments. While travelling for 3 weeks this summer my daughter needed a consistent sound for going to sleep in different homes and hotels so I downloaded the Pro edition for her Kid's Kindle. We love it. The timer especially is really helpful for not running down the battery, I can set up the sounds and the timer, and it'll go off after she falls asleep.
It has a huge range of sounds and the options for mixing your own, along with the variability and balance are really simple to operate.

24 Beautiful Flower Window Clings by Articlings - All Different Colours - Non-adhesive Stickers Quickly Decorate and Brighten your Windows
Offered by Supports Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install., 13 Aug. 2017
Does what it says on the box. With small children and a forces life, we've bought lots of window clings over the years both for safety and decoration. These were easy to peel off the backing, and fairly simple to put on the window. These are going to be semi-permanent for us so I used the suggested method of 're-activating' the cling with soapy water; they've only been up an hour though, so I can't comment on their durability!

The Little Pink Book of Etiquette: A Civilized Person's Guide to Getting It Right

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but oh, so necessary, 29 Mar. 2015
90% of the population will know 90% of the content of this Little Pink Book. But it's a nice quick reference if you need a reminder. And perhaps it should be a gift for every 21st birthday.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little bit big., 8 Sept. 2014
The case does a good job of protecting the phone and has all the right cut-outs in all the right places, but it's actually a bit big. The phone slides up and down slightly in the case; no risk of it falling out or the case coming off, but I always have to manually position the phone inside the case to connect the charger.

The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London
The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens' London

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well researched, 1 Jun. 2014
I'm not a fan of Dickens' writing but this is a wonderfully written and researched history of nineteenth century London simply using Dickens' tales as a frame of reference.

Make a Scene: Farmyard
Make a Scene: Farmyard

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3yo loves this, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Make a Scene: Farmyard (App)
I got this for my daughter for our upcoming travels this summer, and she's been playing it ever since she found it on my Kindle. The characters are lovely, and the sounds are excellent, even the birdsong for the blackbird and robin are accurate. The different scene sets and foregrounds are nice and distinctive, and the little extras (ladybird crawling along the picket fence, bees buzzing through the flowers) show that a lot of time and effort has been put into this app.
My only critique is that it would be nice if each of the backgrounds was a new page. At the moment if you set characters on one background, and change the background the characters stay put in front, so in effect you can only build one picture at a time.
Definitely worth the cost and I will be getting one or two of the others in the series in the future.

White Noise Baby
White Noise Baby

4.0 out of 5 stars Great App, could use a couple of improvements, 12 May 2014
This review is from: White Noise Baby (App)
I've only had this a couple of days, but I really like it. It's very clear and simple to use, even sleep deprived, and the timer is a great feature. The rattle is a great addition, my 3 year old will sit and watch/listen for ages, it is very relaxing.
I would second the other reviewers that it would be nice to be able to use other features of my kindle (such as read a book!) while this is running. I'd also love to see a 'rainfall' sound; the sounds available are good, but the grey/white/pink sounds are just variations on a theme, and I would say that the heartbeat is too quiet.

Fireman Sam - Junior Cadet
Fireman Sam - Junior Cadet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a toddler, with a bit of a challenge, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Fireman Sam - Junior Cadet (App)
My 2 1/2 year old has fallen for Fireman Sam on the TV in a big way. She saw the link to this app on my Kindle and that was that. The range of games is excellent, she can easily do the 'hide and seek' and cat rescue on her own, but it will be a little while before she can fill the buckets, or put out the forest fires, so there is plenty of room for development. My only critique is that it's a bit noisy; the constant encouragement and chatter from Sam and his colleagues may be good for the kids, but can get very irritating; it's just a shame that the only alternative is to switch the sound off completely.

BBC Media Player
BBC Media Player

3.0 out of 5 stars update problem needs fixing, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: BBC Media Player (App)
This is really poor quality, come on BBC, the world expects better than this. To all those in the 'update loop', the solution is to delete the app from your kindle and download it again as if new.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4