Profile for Dr Tolstoyevsky > Reviews

Content by Dr Tolstoyevsky

Dr Tolstoyevsky "Dr Tolstoyevsky" (Pontypridd, Wales United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Soviet Space Dogs
Soviet Space Dogs
by Olessya Turkina

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Fun, 31 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Soviet Space Dogs (Hardcover)
Where do I start?
This is a superb book, beautifully made, designed & presented. Aside from the informative text, about space dogs, the pictures & photographs are exquisite. In fact - I've already run-out of superlatives for this 'glorious' little gem.
It's one of those books that book-lovers buy, to hold, smell & treasure.
Whether you are interested in Soviet history or not this gem would make an excellent gift for any dog / book lover. Believe me; the quality is THAT good.
Treat yourself and email me if you are disappointed!

The Last Patrician: Bobby Kennedy and the End of American Aristocracy
The Last Patrician: Bobby Kennedy and the End of American Aristocracy
by Michael Knox Beran

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 25 July 2017
Fantastic book & great service.
This is one of the best books I've read on RK. It's a top read: objective, informative & enjoyable.

The Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon
The Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon
by Anthony Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 July 2017
Super book & service!! 10/10!

I Love... The Big Tub of Fun Bath and Body Treats Gift Set
I Love... The Big Tub of Fun Bath and Body Treats Gift Set
Offered by PANDY

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 July 2017
This product arrived damaged. It's a metal tin & it wasn't packaged well enough.
Disappointing!

Bitches Brew
Bitches Brew
Offered by MUSIC-2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 7 May 2017
This review is from: Bitches Brew (Audio CD)
I have probably listened to this album over 300 - 400 times, it is (without doubt) one of the greatest, monumentally glorious albums ever produced. Yes, Kind of Blue is the single greatest jazz album ever made (closely followed by Coltrane's These Are a Few of My Favourite Things) - but BB is a joy to listen to. Kids love it & listened to on a good pair of headphones it will take you places only music can.
Forget the philistines who claim it's 'unlistenable' or 'weird' - they not not what they say.
This is music / jazz at its most uninhibited. It's just glorious to listen to on a lush summer's day, with a cold beer & a good book.
If you don't like this - then (I'm sorry to say) you are a corpse...!
Buy & enjoy...I promise you that you'll 'get it'.

The Letters Of John F Kennedy
The Letters Of John F Kennedy
Offered by Wordery

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know JFK, 7 May 2017
I have on my shelves many, many books on JFK (and these are not just about the assassination).
Somehow most biographies are tainted with the personality of the author; oftentimes you can 'feel' the author's opinions, beliefs & political persuasions in their JFK books and Kennedy seems to get a little lost. However, this is not the case with this book.
Aside from providing (in my opinion) one of the best overviews of JFK & his life, the letters written by him / to him means you really get a feel for the man. Books like this are usually dipped into but once I started this I couldn't put it down!
If you are interested in getting to 'know' JFK this book is for you! I cannot tell how delightful it was to read. One chapter of this book is far better, educating, entertaining & enjoyable than an entire month's worth of TV (which is why I don't own one!!)
Buy this & you will not be disappointed!

In Some Lost Place: The First Ascent of Nanga Parbat's Mazeno Ridge
In Some Lost Place: The First Ascent of Nanga Parbat's Mazeno Ridge
by Sandy Allan

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 30 Mar. 2017
I've read many, many mountaineering books (being an incredibly skilled & gifted armchair alpinist I find the armchair the safest way to climb) and so I can state that this is an incredibly good read. It's well written, has some breathtaking pictures & the author's passion comes across in spades. If you enjoy books about mountains, climbing / mountaineering then you will, without doubt, enjoy this.

Natural Himalayan Rock Salt Lamp On Wooden Base. Weight 3-5kg
Natural Himalayan Rock Salt Lamp On Wooden Base. Weight 3-5kg
Offered by The Tiffany Lighting Company

1.0 out of 5 stars Bulb broken & dirty, 13 Feb. 2017
Arrived broken; light bulb smashed & the 'lamp' is filthy. I know this is a natural 'salt lamp' but there's no need for it to arrive in such a disgusting state!

Vivid Arts Sitting Chimpanzee
Vivid Arts Sitting Chimpanzee

1.0 out of 5 stars Fragile, 24 May 2016
Delivered broken...
These are very, very fragile!!
Comment Comment | Permalink

I Still Do
I Still Do
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Blues by the Master, 20 May 2016
This review is from: I Still Do (Audio CD)
This is what Mr Clapton does best: pure blues magic! All the songs (though old) sound fresh, up to date & are incredibly satisfying (if you question the notion that the blues can sound "fresh & "up to date" - just listen)
The guitar playing is glorious, the sound is 'soulful' & I've listened to it 4 times - and it only came this morning!
If you love 'pure' & 'honest' music & if you enjoy blues music then please (PLEASE) believe me when I say to you that you will enjoy this collection of songs. Friday night; kick-back, grab a beer & listen to this...it's what music is for & what the blues was invented to do...
Buy now & email me if you disagree!!
Enjoy...