Profile for JudeC > Reviews

Content by JudeC

JudeC (Hove, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Insight Flexi Map: Budapest (Insight Flexi Maps)
Insight Flexi Map: Budapest (Insight Flexi Maps)
by APA Publications Limited
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product for use in an unknown city, 16 Mar. 2013
New item - flexible pastic - so useful in the snow and rain. Also lots of info on things to see.

The Two Week Wait
The Two Week Wait
by Sarah Rayner

3.0 out of 5 stars Really doesn't measure up to 'One moment, one morning', 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Two Week Wait (Paperback)
I had massively enjoyed reading the predecessor to The Two Week Wait and I had very high hopes for the sequel. Sadly, they were dashed as this book was just quite boring in comparison. I am happy to admit I wasn't overly interested in the subject matter of IVF and egg-sharing which was gone into in great depth, but even the characters seemed pale imitations of their former selves. Lou is the centre of this novel and perhaps because she was always the voice of reason and sense you really don't get any involvement emotionally with her. Anna, a great character from the previous book has one great scene with Sofia (the soon to be ex girlfriend of Lou) and then fades into the background; similarly Karen is just used as a vehicle to demonstrate parenting skills. Adam, the GP sperm donor has the potential to be interesting but you don't get his back-story at all. The new couple who are sharing Lou's egg donation, Rich and Cath, just seem like caricatures; he's somewhat slow on the uptake and she is totally manic. Looking for pluses the interface between the two women trying to get pregnant and their siblings/parents are the only interesting parts.
I stuck with it because it is set in Brighton & Hove but that wouldn't be enough to get me to buy a third volume without a huge dose of persuasion. I wouldn't even recommend the book to anyone who isn't going through or has been through pregnancy and fertility issues.

Fate's Edge (Edge (Paperback))
Fate's Edge (Edge (Paperback))
by Ilona Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Edge novels go from strength to strength, 7 Nov. 2012
I am increasingly liking the Edge series of novels where the focus is on a star-crossed couple who end up achieving their heart's desires with each other. Having said that we are starting to see ongoing characters and character development which is what I really enjoy seeing. The premise behind the world that Ilona Andrews has created is incredibly complex - much more so than the Kate Daniels series - and that is to IA's credit. It was fun to read Kaldar's story after he was such an irritant in the preceding novel and great to see more of George, Jack and Gaston all of whom deserve to star in their own books.
This was in many ways a much more thoughtful novel - Bayou Moon was very, very violent to a degree that I found unpleasant and I am happy to see that IA does not have to resort to grisly scenes to make a successful book. I am now waiting with baited breath for Steel's Edge - luckily due out this month.

Bayou Moon (Edge (Paperback))
Bayou Moon (Edge (Paperback))
by Ilona Andrews

4.0 out of 5 stars This series is really starting to grow on me!, 1 Nov. 2012
Like many others I too had doubts as to whether the Ilona Andrews team should abandon Kate, Curran and the rest to set up a new series set in the Edge. I still don't quite get the Edge, the Weird and the Broken but it just doesn't matter as the stories are great. I love series and these are not per se a series as they each cover an individual couple and very much have a start and a conclusion (no bad thing). However, they do introduce recurrent characters which ties them together and lets you see how earlier protagonists are getting on in life.
As regards Bayou Moon I really enjoyed the swamp feel and enjoyed both Cerise and William - it is of course a much better read when the heroine really doesn't need protecting or saving but IA are managing to write incredible Paranormal Romance rather than Urban Fantasy. I also liked the Mirror and the Hand - both spy organisations where one is possibly slightly more acceptable as it doesn't fuse things to people to enhance them and also send them mad.
I'm very happy with how IA are developing the Edge and I will read more.

Blood Bound
Blood Bound
by Rachel Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like the 'world' created and the characters didn't appeal either!, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Blood Bound (Paperback)
How disappointing. I have loved RV's Shifters series and I have even managed the first 4 of the If I Die series but this has no appeal at all. For a start I cannot stand the Noble Sacrifice as a premise for a book - I ran away from our love to save you! Then again I didn't really care what happened to any of the heroes/heroines who were all characterised as manipulative liars - and that was their better character traits. The idea of the Skills that people had was an interesting concept for this world but the mafia type violence and aggression displayed by pretty much everyone was a complete turn-off. What a shame. I won't bother with the sequel as I see it is also based in the same setting and with the same group of friends.

Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville 10)
Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville 10)
by Carrie Vaughn

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty back on top form!, 16 Aug. 2012
The Kitty werewolf series must be one of the first urban fantasy ones I started to read as the original 'Kitty and the Midnight Hour' came out in 2005. 'Kitty Steals the Show' is her 10th outing and as you might expect there have been peaks and troughs along the way (Vegas Kitty - 'Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand' was more trough than peak for example). However, Kitty is now back to top form with the story arc regarding the Long Game and it's leader Roman. In this novel we find Kitty in London and I was more than pleased to see that Carrie Vaughn really gets the UK/London. Perhaps this is because she lived in the UK for a year, but it is most refreshing not to see the Dick Van Dyke version of cockney. In fact, CV goes one better providing the Shakespearean English actor Ned Alleyn as a key character and vampire (of course). The action all takes place at a conference - I've been to some pretty deadly conferences in my time but this one definitely takes the biscuit. Another high is Kitty's relationship with Ben which is as strong as ever (despite naughty were-Jaguars) and is now a key part of the novels - this of course goes to make Kitty's inability to have a child all the more poignant and CV covers this with great subtlety and sensitivity. If you like Kitty then I highly recommend that you read it - Kitty is back on track and definitely steals the show. Only downside is the horrible UK cover - so not Kitty but I wouldn't mark down the content for that.

Magick Weaved on a Samhain Eve
Magick Weaved on a Samhain Eve

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible - it was free and NOT worth it, 14 July 2012
I have read various reviews where reviewers have spoken about terrible grammar and spelling without suffering from it myself - well now I have. Despite the author thanking her parents for helping with the spelling every single kindle page has two or more typos on it. Some are grammatical (such as 's and use of plurals) and some are poor spelling - use of the word fraught instead of fought for example. There was even a mistake in the last paragraph of the story. Other than that the story is just very, very average and not remotely original - Alexia 'magicks' her dream man who wants to overpower her and they get together. Not even sexy. The plus side was that it was a short read.
I'm also slightly confused that one of the reviews on Amazon (all 5*) appears to be from Victoria Chisholm - and the book is written by VJ Chisholm. Are authors allowed to post rave reviews?
Avoid at all costs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 10:11 AM GMT

Darkness Unbound: Number 1 in series (Dark Angels)
Darkness Unbound: Number 1 in series (Dark Angels)
by Keri Arthur

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very good - poor follow on from Riley Jenson series, 29 Jun. 2012
Having read and massively enjoyed the Riley series I had high hopes of Keri Arthur's new series. I had plugged the gap prior to it's arrival by reading some of her older books, re-issued once Riley became popular, and it was always easy to see that they were written by a more inexperienced author finding her way. You can easily see the origins of Riley in the Ripple Creek novels and the Nikki and Michael ones have strong psychic and supernatural overtones. I read these books but didn't keep them; I have kept all my Riley ones.
I was thus stunned at how poor this new novel is that features Risa and set 25 years on from the Riley books. Real problem is that Risa (half wolf, half Aedh)and her life are just not interesting and have no depth - I don't find anything to connect with when being told how stunningly attractive she and her friends are, how they live in a stunning home, how they are all loaded with money, have fantastic vehicles etc. The guys Risa fancies are of course all gorgeous and Lucian is of course fantastic in bed, but so what? Just very shallow.
Neither was the plot very engaging - I appreciate it may have been setting up things for later books but I didn't really care about the soul stealing.
Finally, the book felt as if it had been written by an American. Is this a deliberate ploy to engage an American audience, because one of the great things about Riley was how Australian the novels were?
Real disappointment. I won't be reading any more in the series.

Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell)
Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell)
by Jenn Bennett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel to consolidate promising new urban fantasy series, 21 Jun. 2012
A very good sequel with possibly an even better plot-line than the first one in what is appearing to be a very solid series. Halloween and the return of evil child-killers provide the central themes (well those and a teenager's jock-itch).
The plot is good but, as with many series, it is driven by the characters and character development. Cady Bell is a well rounded character - well you've got to like someone who runs a demon-friendly tiki bar haven't you? The developing relationship between her and her much-older demon boyfriend Lon is growing in a very credible way; the fact that they both have halos and he has horns (every so often) is neither here nor there. But what really makes the books is the third party to this - Lon's son Jupe. Cady's relationship with Jupe - she is only in her 20s and he is a teenager so is closer in age to Jupe than Lon - is one which transforms the series into something much more than the sum of its parts. The fantasy world that Jenn Bennett has devised works well and is still different enough to earn her a tick/check in the Originality box. Read them.

Blue-Blooded Vamp: Sabina Kane: Book 5
Blue-Blooded Vamp: Sabina Kane: Book 5
by Jaye Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent conclusion to a great series, 18 Jun. 2012
I am impressed that Jaye Wells has the guts to walk away from a very good series and does it with such a strong conclusion. How many other urban fantasy series are out there that are well past their sell-by date but the authors keep hammering out a book a year?
It was also great to end the series with an old-fashioned quest where Sabina gets to learn as much about herself, what she will sacrifice and her relationships with her non-nuclear family, as solve it. The transition in Sabina throughout the arc of the 5 books is credible and you genuinely do feel that you know her by the end.
Needless to say Gighul and Adam are as great as ever and I loved the Roman holiday. The image of the vampire biker gang chugging around on Vespas will remain for a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11