Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for JudeC > Reviews

Content by JudeC

JudeC "Jude" (Hove, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
BPS USB Battery Charger for Panasonic DMW-BCG10E,BCG10PP Li-ion Battery,Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 DMC-TZ6,DMC-TZ7,DMC-TZ30,DMC-TZ31 Digital Camera
Offered by BestDeal-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well and light to carry around on holiday, 20 Jun. 2016
At first I thought it wasn't going to work as it seemed much too big for my battery but it attaches at the elements and worked really well, much lighter than the camera charger.

chord TAMB-FL-RD Flower Shaped Tambourine - Red
chord TAMB-FL-RD Flower Shaped Tambourine - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, nice and jangly!, 20 Jun. 2016
Can't wait to try it out

The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles)
The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles)
by Kim Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me - I'll stick to the Hollows, 20 Jun. 2016
I have read all of KH's Hollows books and enjoyed them, following Rachel Morgan's life over many years. Thus, I expected to enjoy her new series and starting with the prequel (printed in the UK edition at the start of the book) I did engage with Peri and Silas immediately. Sadly this disappeared as I started to read The Drafter. It wasn't that it was a complicated premise - although it was - it was the fact that Peri just wasn't a person I wanted to know. She was shallow, selfish, arrogant, killed people ('so long as they have killed me first') but the final straw where I really lost interest was at a time when she was running for her life she stopped to undertake a 600$ shopping trip ending up with with clothes in a suitcase to carry around. I finished the book but didn't care what happened to Peri and most other characters - Taf and Howard were exceptions but even Silas had moved into the 'so what' category. So, I won't be reading the sequel unless there are major changes. This reminded me of when Kelley Armstrong started writing her Nadia Stafford series after several of the Women of the Otherworld books - in the same way I didn't like Nadia and stopped reading them. Well written but not for me.

Flight from Death (Fly by Night)
Flight from Death (Fly by Night)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - not sure if I will read more of this new series, 6 Oct. 2015
I decided to try out Yasmine Galenorn's new series - still based on Otherworld but introducing a new set of characters - who all appeared to have some back story via a couple of short stories/novellas. Our heroine Shimmer is a criminal blue dragon outcast for 5 years to Earth to work for a vampire running a detective agency, Alex. good supporting roles - particularly from Tonya a human witch and Chai, a djinn. Werewolf Ralph was irritiating with the fainting episodes and Alex's friend Patrick didn't add anything to the party. It was just OK, very slow to get going and the relationship developing between Shimmer and Alex was a bit icky. However, and it's an annoyance I can just about ignore in the the D'Artigo Otherworld novels because I like the characters, there are some really jarring expressions of which the most annoying is 's/he gave a soft smile' - what on earth is a 'soft smile'???? So, OK, but without the characters to entice me back I'm not sure I'll go on with this series.

Days of Grace
Days of Grace
by Catherine Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - but perhaps predictable?, 28 July 2015
This review is from: Days of Grace (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book but felt strangely dissatisfied at the end. For much of the time it felt like 'Goodnight Mister Tom' for an adult audience - evacuee Nora even goes to stay in a home next door to a church. I was also reminded of 'Carrie's War' with deep dark secrets never to be told except on a death bed. However, I persevered - I liked the modern relationship between Nora and Rose in particular. The section where Nora and Grace move to London was frankly baffling and unreal - the final denouement was over in seconds. Similarly, 40 years of Nora's life was covered in about a page - a marriage and life as a book-seller. Ultimately there were too many questions - did Nora ever get to have a happy, sexual relationship in her life is just one - and the overlay of Catholic angst and guilt that permeated everything was just too much for me. Others have commented that Nora wasn't very likeable - but it was her victim mentality, her 'it's all my fault and my sin that has caused everything bad to happen' that just got way too much. This felt like a first novel, and I will read more of the author, hoping that some of the rough edges have rubbed off.

VANILLA CLOUD'S SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 MINI PURPLE LEATHER FLIP CASE / COVER WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR
Offered by eFEEL

3.0 out of 5 stars Great colour but plastic isn't strong enough, 24 July 2015
Edges chipping off - I've managed to cut myself already and that was within a few days of use.

Anker PowerCore+ mini (3350mAh Premium Aluminum Portable Charger) Lipstick-Sized External Battery Power Bank for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More (Silver)
Offered by AnkerDirect

Deadly Spells: Prospero's War: Book Three
Deadly Spells: Prospero's War: Book Three

5.0 out of 5 stars Normalising the paranormal, 26 Feb. 2015
book 3 of this Police Procedural/Urban Fantasy series picks up seamlessly from the earlier novels. We catch up with Kate, her family, friends and colleagues as Kate and the MEA start to deal with a new player on the block, attacking coven members and targeting old flame John Volo,s now the Mayor of Babylon. The magic is an integral part of Kate's world - I like the Adepts and Norms handshakes depending on which you are - but essentially this book deals with, and develops, relationships. The family unit of Kate and Danny has now extended to aging witch Baba (and Danny now has an almost girlfriend) and there are clearly jealousies and rivalries (some of which Kate is weirdly oblivious to) between Volos and Morales regarding their jostling for Kate's affections. New to this novel is the development of the role and background of captain of the MEA team - Gardiner. Each novel sees Kate's rose-tinted glasses peeled away a little more as those around her show, yet again, how all-too human they are. Kate's ideals are inexorably ground away yet at the end she has moved forward in her life and is embracing (all too literally) the changes. It's a great take on the police procedural novel and whereas the private investigator is a more common role in urban fantasy the use of a Police detective, bound by rules and regulations, is not. This is where Jaye Wells is beginning to demonstrate real expertise. Finally, Jaye Well's characters and Babylon itself are beginning to grow on me. Sabina and her gang are still my favourites but Kate and Co. are catching up. I'm already looking forward to #4 in this series.

Rusted Veins: A Sabina Kane Novella
Rusted Veins: A Sabina Kane Novella

5.0 out of 5 stars What happened next for Sabina & Team Awesome, 17 Nov. 2014
Loved it - great addition to the Sabina world.

Unbinding (World of the Lupi Book 11)
Unbinding (World of the Lupi Book 11)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the World of the Lupi series, 7 Oct. 2014
this book allowed some of the minor characters in the World of the Lupi to take to the stage and adopt it as their own. Lily and Rule are on honeymoon in Paris so it is a chance for Arjenie and Benedict to be our main characters along with the new(er) characters of Kai and Nathan who are in the San Diego area rather than in the Court of Queen Winter in Faery. The plot is a continuation of that in Ritual Magic involving mad god Daffaya but as ever it is in the inter-relationships that the book shines. Kai, a human, misses home and her partner Nathan, formerly a hell-hound, has a resonance with the Lupi that he has been missing. Thus, we see Kai becoming friends with Arjenie and Nathan with Benedict (in a scenario where fight-to-the-death means friendship). Cullen and Isen also have strong roles as do our FBI buddies. New character of Kai's grandfather plays one of generational relationships that Eileen Wilks creates so well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10