Profile for Mr. D. Dunn > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Dunn

Mr. D. Dunn "Dean" (Northumberland, UK)

Mini DP to DP, Rankie® Mini DisplayPort MiniDP to DisplayPort Adapter Male to Female
Offered by Rankie-Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini DP to Dual DVI-D Connection, 12 April 2016
I have an unusual setup and needed to go from a Surface Pro 4 to a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor with a Dual DVI-D connector.

The Surface Pro 4 is mini displayport and due to my monitor being 2560 x 1440 resolution I needed something that would correctly pass through the signal so used a Bizlink active adapter (see here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-BizLink-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72). Without the BizLink adapter I would have been limited to 1920 x 1080.

This concerted the output to displayport female allowing me to plug the BizLink adapter in line to the monitor. Worked first time and no issues so far.

U-Shaped Post Anchor with Concrete Anchor Riffler Tool Steel Galvanised lichte Breite: 101 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value, pity nothing like this is available directly ..., 15 Oct. 2015
Amazing value, pity nothing like this is available directly from the UK. Used for a deck where limited ground clearance stopped use of a bolt down post base.

Road Cycling: A Guide To Making The Most Of Your Bike: 2016 Edition
Road Cycling: A Guide To Making The Most Of Your Bike: 2016 Edition

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for anyone other than absolute beginners., 1 Oct. 2013
It's not that the information is incorrect or bad, just that the information is extremely basic and most of it is common sense. If you are an absolute beginner and know nothing about road cycling, the equipment and the sport, then yes it may be worth buying. For anyone else, its just not worth purchasing.

Outside Eternity: Three Feet of Sky: Book Two
Outside Eternity: Three Feet of Sky: Book Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Ayres is a great storyteller!, 31 Mar. 2013
More than a good read, I find myself engrossed in the tiny worlds he creates, so descriptive, I am transported into the Viroverse. Excellent chracterisation and a plot that steams on at a good clip, well worth reading. Looking forward to more from this author.

Eurosport Player
Eurosport Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Euro"ripoff"Sport Player, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Eurosport Player (App)
Would rate 0 stars if I could.

I signed up for this a while ago. Their website is very disengenous and misleading. I thought I had signed up for the iPad
subscription, only to find out I had actually signed up for the PC version.

Okay, it was my mistake, I emailed EuroSport explaining the situation (I was happy to keep my 1 year subscription, I just wanted it on iPad) and they refused to switch. So I am paying a years service for something I will never use.

MAybe the service is okay, bur their customer service and attitude are terrible.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 4:36 PM GMT

Optimal Shop 2 Port USB3.0 USB 3.0 to PCI-E PCI Express Card Adapter Converter w/ Motherboard 20P 20 pin Connector & Low Profile Bracket, NEC Renesas D720201 Chipset

5.0 out of 5 stars USB 3.0 PCI-e Adapter, 18 Dec. 2012
Needed an inexpensive USB 3.0 card for backing up to a USB 3.0 hard drive and didnt want to spend too much. This uses the slightly newer NEC D720201 chipset and installed without needing a driver disk in my Windows 8 PC. Has 2 x USB 3.0 connectors.

Took a while to be delivered as it comes from china or somesuch, but nevertheless a good purchase.

Logitech Squeezebox Boom
Logitech Squeezebox Boom
Offered by david james store

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeezebox - A revolution in listening?, 23 Mar. 2009
It is not often that a piece of technology comes along that totally revolutionises the way you do something. Waxing lyrical? Well, yes!

The Squeezebox Boom is part of a family of products which allow you to listen to music anywhere in your home, in a easy and simple to use way. The music source can be your CD collection (after you have converted it and sucked it into the SqueezeCenter software - more of this later). Or any suitable Internet music source such as an Internet radio station.

The Boom is smaller than I imagined, but packs quite a sonic punch; it has two bass speakers and two tweeters giving a good response for such a little unit. It also comes with a small remote control.

I purchased this for my girlfriend, as she wanted something to listen to her music collection whilst in the kitchen. She is very much a technophobe, and although a music lover was very dubious about the new gadget I had just purchased. After a couple of days, she is now totally sold.

Okay - so a little more on the technology. Other reviews have covered what the device does, however it is how it does it, which for me makes this an outstanding product.

The centre of all this is a piece of free software called SqueezeCenter (used to be called SlimServer). This is available in both Windows and Linux versions, and is the hub that stores all your music and associated settings. You will need a PC to install this on, or a suitably compatible NAS box.

I plumped for the Linux version, and I must say I am very impressed. The software is accessed via a web interface and enables easy control over all your Squeezebox devices from anywhere with a web browser (including your mobile phone!).

You can stream music to individual Squeezebox devices, or synchronise multiple devices. This latter feature means you can walk throughout your house listening to the same music wherever you go on multiple Squeezeboxes, very neat.

The ability to retrieve a piece of music easily, especially if you have a large collection is important, and SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox devices makes this very easy, enabling you to access by artist, track, album etc. The indexing software is very quick and our CD collection was indexed in seconds. It also fully supports album cover art. If you are using their latest Squeezebox Controller with built in colour LCD display this means you can have cover art graphics showing on your remote, another nice touch.

Sound quality from the converted CD collection is excellent (I would recommend ripping your CD collection to .flac, a lossless format), and resource use on the server I installed the SqueezeCenter software on was incredibly low, even with multiple streams of music playing simultaneously.

There are also software only versions of the Squeezebox available for download. SoftSqueeze emulates a real Squeezebox in software, enabling you to listen to your CD collection in yet another way. SqueezePlay does a similar thing but emulates the Squeezebox Controller instead. So, two different ways to play your CD collection on your PC if you don't have a Squeezebox handy!

If you are not sure about whether this technology is for you, why not download SqueezeCenter and give it a go. The Windows version is easier to get up and running, especially if you are not a Linux user. In conjunction with the virtual players mentioned above you will have a fully functioning streaming audio system for nothing but the time it costs to set it up. Believe me though; you will want to try the real thing!

The Squeezebox Boom is a great product, but to fully understand all of its abilities you need to look beyond this to Squeezecenter software. Logitech definitely have a winner on their hands with this.

Barking
Barking
by Tom Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars Woof Woof!, 11 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Barking (Hardcover)
Werewolves, vampires, the undead and lawyers. An evil gathering indeed!!

I stumbled across Tom Holt when looking for something decent to read about 18 months ago, and have read all of his books since that happy time.

This latest offering brings more of a maturity to Tom's writing, although he has not changed and still makes me laugh out loud.

If you dont take your literature too seriously and fancy a not too serious read, i'd strongly recommend a look at this (even my girlfriend liked it - and shes a lawyer with no sense of humour!!)

Vellum: The Book of All Hours
Vellum: The Book of All Hours
by Hal Duncan

2.0 out of 5 stars Did this guy forget how to tell a story?, 10 Mar. 2007
I really tried to finish this book, but gave up after 280 pages (more than most it seems). The feat of endurance required to get to the end outweighed my wanting to find out what it was all about.

I found myself skipping whole pages because I knew it was totally irrelevant flowery prose.

Well written books do not make well read books.