Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
AUKEY Quick Charge 3.0 Car Charger 34.5W Dual Port with AiPower Tech for Samsung Galaxy S7, LG G5, HTC One A9, Nexus 6 and more; Including a 3.3ft Micro USB cable (Black)
Offered by yueying

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Samsung S6, 10 Jun. 2016
It charges my Samsung S6 in fast charge mode !
I use my phone as my GPS because I really love tomtom. The only problem was I had to have a fully charged phone before setting off because by the time I arrived at work or home the battery would have dropped to below 50% using my tomtom supplied 3 Amp charger, which I can't really understand.. but since I bought this one the phone has either charged up on the journey, or maintained the same level. It's nice to have a secondary socket too so my wife can charge her phone (which doesn't support fast charging so she is fine to use the other socket).

It's just a little bit bigger than I would have liked, in that I cannot now close the lid covering my socket when it's not in use. But not a big problem, If I really want to I can remove it and close the lid.

JUSTOP® F20 Air Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard 2.4Ghz With IR Leaning Feature Best For Android TV Boxes KODI TV Boxes Laptops And HTPCs
Offered by DigiDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great remote the airmouse actually works !, 10 Jun. 2016
This is the first "air mouse" that i've found that I can actually control properly.
The speed the cursor moves is just right, you can easily navigate and click around etc.

I happen to have a Justop Android media player, which comes with a nice looking IR remote but has a very narrow window in which you have to aim the remote. So I wanted a radio frequency one that didn't require line of sight. The fact it has a keyboard on the underneath is a big bonus too as it makes input on a media player device a breeze.

The remote comes with a small USB dongle, i'm happy to say it works 100% under Android and Windows.

Clippasafe Electrical Plug Socket Protector (3-Pack)
Clippasafe Electrical Plug Socket Protector (3-Pack)
Offered by Funswim Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good but only for standard size plug, 10 Jun. 2016
Our one year old likes to play with sockets, switches and pull on plugs.
As soon as I fitted it, the little one doesn't bother trying to play with it any longer.

Major drawback is they dont extend out very far, so if you have a power supply that has a large plug it might not fit.

Corsair CC-9011078-WW Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition Windowed Full Tower ATX High Airflow Performance Computer Case - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it twice., 10 Jun. 2016
What an amazing case! This thing is HUGE.

Build quality is excellent, no sharp edges. Hard disk drive bays are great, it takes about 3 seconds to install a regular drive. However, if you have more than 4 SSDs then these will need to be screwed in using four holes on the bottom of each caddy, there are 4 screwless SSD bays.

In one of the pictures, it shows the 750D with all the drive bays installed. A word of warning, it does NOT come with all the bays. It comes with two meaning a possible maximum of 6 hard disks. I happen to have 10 and wanted to use this for a server chassis. So I have had to source and buy the extra two hard drive cages from another site because the only seller on Amazon is selling them for £45 when they cost under £5 if you just do a quick google search for the part number (part number for drive cage is CC-8930032).

I really like the case, am actually buying another one today for my new gaming rig build.
I liked the metal spike in the middle of the motherboard tray which keeps the motherboard perfectly aligned while you put the screws in. Which also means you can assemble the entire thing upright.

The only slightly negative things I have to say (besides it not having all the damn drive cages) is that it could have come with some fans on the top. It has a metal mesh top for airflow, but no fans. But it appears to have the right size/spaced holes in it so I'll just buy a few and add them. The plexiglass window on mine was slightly damaged but to be honest I don't care. It's not a gaming rig and It's not a fast-n-furious LEDs/Neons everywhere thing for me but I suppose it does allow you to see the fans are all spinning. For me this box sits in my garage under loved but working hard in the background doing all my server stuff, the case has made it look and feel much more professional. I think it will last many years and upgrades.

Pro's:
Very sturdy build, no sharp bits
Lots of screws and thumbscrews provided
Looks amazing
Can hold up to 12 HDDs (might need to buy additional drive cages, see above)
Good cable management system for neat cables.
PSU fan filter
Easy access to fans at front with a pop-off cover.

Cons:
I have a modular PSU and the gap between where the cables of the PSU go and the drive cage is VERY tight (see 3rd picture)
Does not come with full complement of drive cages, out of the box it has two for a max of 6 HDDs
USB2 and USB3 on the front... no USB 3.1

Overall very pleased, in fact so pleased I bought it again.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Corsair CC-8930032 - HDD upgrade kit - 300R HDD upgrade kit - 2x hard drive trays and secondary hard drive cage parts - Warranty: 1Y
Offered by love Office Stuffs (VAT Reg.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Giant rip off, 10 Jun. 2016
What a rip-off. These things are under £5 elsewhere

Salter BW04294 Multi-Purpose 3 Blade White Fruit And Vegetable Spiralizer
Salter BW04294 Multi-Purpose 3 Blade White Fruit And Vegetable Spiralizer
Offered by Officestationers2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design, broke in 3 months of very light use., 28 May 2016
I bought this item in February, it's now May and it's totally broken. The handle is connected to the spinning wheel part by a brass nut. The handle now just spins around and around without turning the wheel.

Don't buy one, it's a bad design and it's going to break. I barely used it too, it's been used less than 10 times in 3 months and it's now a piece of broken junk waiting to go in the recycle bin. I'm not sure if I should bother trying to claim under it's warranty because as I see it, this is manufacturing defect and I'm quite sure salter knows about it.

Have to say I'm surprised for a salter, maybe they should stick to making weighing scales because I have two scales by them which are excellent hence why I wanted this one. I wanted to support a British company, and I liked the look of it. However, it's extremely cheaply produced most especially the handle which has now fallen off.

Don't waste your money on this. Whoever designed it was more interested in how it looks than how it functions and obviously nobody tested these things to any degree or they would have found this problem out in the design phase. Very poor quality.

Anker SoundCore (6W Dual-Driver Portable Bluetooth Speaker with Superior Clear Stereo Sound and Groundbreaking 24-Hour Playtime) Bluetooth 4.0 Portable Wireless Speaker with Ultra Low Harmonic Distortion, Enhanced Bass Response and Built-in Microphone for Calls
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quality sound and good build quality., 19 May 2016
I'm editing my review as Anker have provided a replacement speaker from the first one I had which was defective.

This one I'm pleased to say works perfectly. I did have a problem with the distance that I could use the speaker at and crackling sound on the defective unit but I am very happy now the replacement one works as intended and I'm very happy with it. The sound quality is really nice, and has a good level of volume so if I'm in the garden with the speaker I can stream music from inside the house. The unit is solidly built and the buttons feel good and battery life is amazing. No problems with bluetooth either, distance and sound quality excellent.

I also have to say a big thanks to Anker customer service who contacted me after my review to tell me I must have a defective unit and that they wanted to replace it for me. I was sceptical the unit was defective because it sort of worked, but they were right and the replacement works great. So big thumbs up for customer service, they really do care. Thank you !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2016 10:16 AM BST

JUSTOP ® Android TV Box 5.1 Lollipop KODI Fully Loaded TV Box Amlogic S905 64-Bit 2.0GHz x4 Quad Core H.265 HEVC 4K Ultra HD HDMI Out WI-FI
Offered by DigiDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Owned many media players this one is the BEST., 17 April 2016
Great little media player. We don't watch any TV in our house, only netflix and our media collection (mostly documentaries) so we need a good box to play a diverse range of files from MKVs to AVIs and MP4s and different codecs from MPEG2, X.264 and the new X.265. I've had several boxes in the past including AppleTV 1,2, and 3 and a couple of years ago I bought a Minix Neo X7 and I've built 4 home theatre PCs. We are big Kodi / XBMC fans too and use it to play everything.

So far, this is the best box i've ever used. Out of the box it just seems to work. My last media player (the Minix Neo) wouldn't play H.265 encoded videos (it was fine with H.264 but not 5) but this one has no trouble playing it at all. I can now re-rip many of my bluray and DVD movies to this new standard which uses much less disk space than X.264 did while maintaining the quality.

The box comes pre-loaded with tons and tons of plugins and a custom Kodi. The player does warn you at first boot that some of the plugins may be illegal in your country because many of them let you watch say Sky TV or other premium TV channels without a subscription. If you want this sort of thing then I suppose this is great for you. As I said we don't watch TV because we think UK TV is all rubbish repeated low quality programming and I don't care about teens singing or people shagging in Essex... so I don't really care about these plugins but if that's your thing then it comes out in droves on this box. It's all preloaded. I suppose if you are an Ex-pat in need of some UK TV it would be great too. Some of the plugins don't work, but to be fair this is not the fault of the box it just means the plugin needs updating. As for me.. all I need is Kodi and Netflix and both of these work perfectly.

So far, I've managed to play everything in my media collection and I'm super happy about the H.265 support as this was lacking in all my other media players, and lots of stuff now is encoded with it and more and more stuff is going to use it in the future. I don't have a 4K TV so I can't comment on it but 1080p works great and it has the necessary support for HEVC so I imagine 4K will work just fine. But considering the price, by the time I do get a 4K TV if anything does change I don't mind getting a new box.

Why spend over £100 on a Minix that wont play the latest standards or a crippled Apple TV ? This one does it all at a great price.
The only downside I've found is that the supplied remote requires very careful aim. I would have preferred a radio frequency / bluetooth remote but considering what I paid I suppose purchasing a new one won't break the bank. But yeah you do kinda have to be in a straight line with the front of the box for it to work.

Pro's:
Small size about same size as ATV 2.
Nice clock on the front of the box
HEVC / H.265 support for playing the latest media
Plays 100% of everything I've thrown at it including IMAX blurays and high bit rate MPEG-2 transport streams (.ts)
Two USBs and Skype also works !

Cons:
Supplied remote looks nice but requires VERY careful aim.
Startup boot screen is very.... Chinese..and loud..and annoying and stutters ... so I tend to not turn it off.
Really low power
Some plugins don't work but it is not the fault of the box.

EOn Surge Protected Energy Saver Power Down Socket w/TV Remote Sensor, 2 pieces value pack
Offered by JSP online

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, saves on power with no problems at all., 17 Mar. 2016
I like living an eco lifestyle, we have solar power and solar heating and hot water. I'm one of those people who constantly watches how much electricity they use. However, I don't like advice such as to unplug your mobile charger because it burns up all that electricity. The truth is that a mobile charger plugged in but not working costs only fractions of pennies to run. In a year you would be lucky if it cost you £1 to keep it plugged in and turned on. But I also bought myself a device to test how much power appliances are using and I was surprised that my plasma TV and media player and amplifier are using 25 watts when in standby. It's not a huge amount of money but it's still wasted electricity. I bought these which came as a pack of 2 for the price some people sell just one of them and being EOn branded I assume they are of sufficient quality to last a while unlike some cheap Chinese clone. I now have my plasma TV and another TV connected to one of these which powers off the TV and other appliances when in standby for more than a few seconds saving that wasted electric. I've not had any problem with them on both a Pioneer TV and a Sony TV I haven't had it switch off during watching of TV either as some reviewers have said. It's super simple to use as well, just point your remote at the sensor and let it learn from your TV remote, then you simply press the TV remote button once to turn the power on, and again to actually switch the TV on fully. When putting the TV into standby, about 10-15 seconds later the power will be cut completely.

I really like the fact that it has a permanent socket too, so you can plug in a sky box or DVR or in my case my WiFi router and leave than on all the time, but have the other devices turn off when not in use. I have connected a power strip to the other output so I can have my amplifier and media PC turn off when not in use.

Just one piece of advice, if you happen to use a computer / media player with a hard disk inside make sure that you turn it off before turning off your TV. It's not good to have a computer with a hard disk just suddenly loose power. I've had my windows media PC get corrupted by just loosing power so now I have to remember to turn off my media PC first.

Crayola Washable Kids Paint (Set of 10)
Crayola Washable Kids Paint (Set of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy clean fun, 17 Mar. 2016
We bought these four our daughter as we wanted a paint that would clean up easily. I'm really happy to say that she loves the pain and it's really easy to clean up afterwards. I can just use a baby wipe to wipe my daughters hands afterwards and all of the paint comes off easily with no mess left over.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15