Profile for D. M. MATALLIN > Reviews

Content by D. M. MATALLIN

D. M. MATALLIN "Origami" (Valencia, Spain)

Tales of a Fragile Mind
Tales of a Fragile Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rorschach Garden with surprises, 25 Jun. 2014
If you don't know Rorschach Garden but you like electronic music, then you should listen to this project. The Rorschach Garden is a band with 7 albums so far. Their music is the perfect equilibrium between minimal electronics, synth-pop, electronic industrial and retro 80's music. But to categorise it would diminish the value of their music. Let's say that if you like John Foxx's Metamatic and some other minimal electronic bands such as File Not Found, you may love Rorschach Garden.

Now, about the album. Tales of a Fragile Mind is their latest album, and it's not my right to say whether it's one of their best or their worst. It wouldn't matter anyway, cos I like almost all their albums more or less the same. What I can assure is that it grows with every listen. If you know their discography, you know that all their albums sound similar and different at the same time. Of course you can say from the first listen that you are in front of a Rorschach Garden album, but at the same time Tales of a Fragile Mind shows some new gimmicks that separate it from every other album (some let's say "house-ish" beats, but no worries there) and from any other similar band (it sounds catchy and experimental at the same time).

Probably my favourite songs so far are My Major Mistake and Faith and Obedience, with Control, Stay in Line, Fun Tastica or Simple Minded really close.

To sum up, if you don't know Rorschach Garden and there are many chances that you don't, it's never too late to mend your mistake. The real virtue of this band is that it may satisfy both fans of conventional synth pop fans and more experimental electronic music fans. You can start with this album, though for a beginner, I would recommend The Toy Factory or Transfer.
And if you know the band, well you know what to expect and you won't be disappointed.

Ege Bamyasi
Ege Bamyasi
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars and rock visited the moon and returned visibly changed, 16 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Ege Bamyasi (Audio CD)
The 70's... great changes are happening in the music scene; bands like The Beatles have established the standards of pop, The Rolling Stones the standards for rock, Pink Floyd are trying to incorporate new technologies and new musical concepts, Faust and Kraftwerk are creating new fields...
and then they came, CAN. Well, actually they had started in the late 60's, but in my opinion, it wasn't until 1971 when they released TAGO MAGO with Damo Suzuki as singer that they redefined music.
Can are not in everyone's mouths as The Beatles or Pink Floyd are; and Can's discography is probably more limited. But what they achieved in 3, only 3 albums, is incomparable and unique.
With Tago Mago they had established in the most brutal and extreme way which was their proposals: long improvisations in which everything could be turned into music: objects crashing against the floor, guitars playes as by aliens, frenetic drums, synths, and a singer who sang partly in English, partly in Japanese, the rest in a surrealistic nonsense language.
And now you think... is this music? can it be listened to and enjoyed? My answer is, definetely yes.
(Listen to Tago Mago: experience it for yourself, no words can make it justice, I rate it as probably one of the 10 best albums I've ever heard)
Now, with Ege Bamyasi some things changed, but their spirit remained intact. This album is more "listenable" and "digestable". It's as if Can said: "well, we have pushed the limits of music against the most extreme limits with Tago Mago. Now let's come back to pop and rock music and make them believe we are normal, just to hit them in their faces when they less expect it" Something like that.
Ege Bamyasi is the way Can saw pop and rock music. Suzuki even sings, though in his peculiar samurai style, as someone defined it. Liebezeit shows us he's a real virtuso with the drums, but especially because he manages to break the typical playing: his drumming is unexpected, danceable, magical.
Ege Bamyasi is less extreme than Tago Mago, but catchier. Some songs are actually catchy, such as 'Sing Swan Song'; others addictive such as 'Vitamin C' or 'Im so green'; others are very very experimental in a Tago Mago way, such as 'Soup'. All are amazingly good.
Can is a band you need to know. Their line up changed a lot, and though we all have our preferences, I only consider 3 Can albums as indispensable: 'Tago Mago', 'Ege Bamyasi' and 'Future Days', all with Suzuki as lunatic/singer.
I think I'm not exagerating when I say they are probably the most influential band in modern music. Industrial music had its roots in Can; even drum'n bass is inspired by Can's wonderful drummer's original style. OK it's less catchy than Beatles or Pink Floyd... and their marketing was inexistent. But listen to CAN you won't regret it.
The only band comparable, in my humble opinion (what is in the end artistic perception but personal opinion?), to the great he Legendary Pink Dots, who admittedly had Can as one of their influences.

Chemical Playschool 10
Chemical Playschool 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good bunch of songs., 15 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Chemical Playschool 10 (Audio CD)
I see Chemical Playschool 10 more as a bunch of songs than as an album; it appeared at the same time as 'Hallway of the Gods', which is one of my favourite LPD albums, and that's saying a lot, actually.
It has very little to do with the LPD albums at the time, which were more guitar oriented.
CP 10 consists of 12 songs, 4 of them are instrumental. ('The Disaster Area', 'Nouveaux Modes Exotiques', 'Kleine Juliet' and'Premonition 19') they're good instrumentals, especially the latter two.
The album begins with a very good song, 'Scarlet Wish'. It's a more electronic piece than usual at the time (circa 1998), wich reminds me more of solo Ka-spel works. His voice sounds very clear and though it's not too varied, it's a delicious song.
'Inside' is almost a rock song, but rock LPD style. It has a dirtier sound, with guitars which though sound subdued they are the main instrument of the song. 'Colour Wheel' is one of those typical delicious ballads only LPD know how to make. Sweet, sad, "silly"...
'Glasshouse' is a very electronic piece, one of those spoken LPD songs, but here with a lot of voice distortion which may remind us of Skinny Puppy sometimes. Then comes one of the best songs here, together with 'Scarlet Wish' and 'Colour Wheel', which is 'The Man with the Cut Glass Heart'; only ths title announces a good song. Edward sings very very good here, and even though it's again a quite repetitive song, it's great. Very very electronic song with delicious melody. 'Little Romeo' has Cevin Key on drums, and it's a dirty song, similar to 'Inside'. Here Edwards sometimes sings very very out of tune on purpose, I think. Good but nothing spectacular, though it has its moments. 'Saucers #1' is a typiecal spoken LPD song. Very psychedelic, it gets better and better as the song progresses. 'Wonderdrome' is a song which reminds me a lot of Einsturzende Neubauten, especially of their song 'Z.N.S.'. It's good. Then there's an extra track which is more one of those LPD extravaganzas than a song.
All in all, I wouldn't say this is one of the best LPD albums. For those who are thinking about discovering this band, I'd recommend other albums (but finally I recommend all anyway), such as, in chonological order, 'Any Day Now', 'The Crushed Velvet Apocalypse', 'The Maria Dimension', 'Hallway of the Gods' and 'All the King's Horses'.
But anyway, this album has its brilliant moments, and believe me, once you become an LPDaddict, you'll want-need-buy all. So if you ever come across this album, buy it, buy it, buy it, and sing while you may.

All the King's Horses
All the King's Horses

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious dark album with a final positive mood, 1 Nov. 2002
This review is from: All the King's Horses (Audio CD)
(You may know this band or may not. If you do, then you probably know this is one of the most personal/innovative/delicious bands in history. They should have been considered as one of the greatest bands of all times, but life is unfair. Let us enjoy the reality: we're a priviliged minority, 'cos having the opportunity of listening this band is a blessing; pity for those who can't. If you don't know this band, you should know the LPD has been making music since 1980, a very personal music: almost everything is included and mixed in an extremely personal way: electronics, guitars, violins, pianos, saxo, all sorts of sound manipulations; lyrics with a very very high literary value; sweet melodies that may be disturbinggly delicious or deliciously disturbing, you choose; amazing voice from the eternal child Edward Ka-spel; industrial+psychedelia+rock+pop+ambient+everything imaginable)
Now, when I received this album about 2 weeks ago, I didn't know what to expect. The Legendary Pink Dots is my absolute favourite band, but I must admit this is the first album that's released since I know this band. So it's somewhat a very important album for me. And it didn't disappoint me in the least, but on the contrary it has become just in a few weeks one of my 3 or 4 favourite Ka-spel albums.
The album begins with a very dark piano song 'The Unlikely Event', which is about a person who's in a plane whis has probably been kidnapped and calls his lover but he just hears her voicemail. Very good beginning.
'The Way I Feel Today' is vry different. One of those LPD unique songs I can't compare with any other. Dark and sometimes exulting, acoustic guitars combined with more electronic textures and saxos at the end. Delicious.
'12th' is a very strange song too. Edward's voice sounds as the 100% protagonist, with background sounds adding up to the theatrical sense of the song. But theatre has never been that real and honest, mind!
And then comes one of the most beautiful songs I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. 'Our Dominion' is an acoustic guitar ballad which gets more and more climatic at the end, with absolutely brilliant lyrics and Edward's voice is just superb. Since Waters' singing in Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' I had never heard a voice so coming from the heart. This song gets more and more beautiful with every listen.
After the emotional climax of Our Dominion, comes a more average sogn, 'Chain Surfing'. Nice but nothing groundbreaking, with some guitars too and an oceanic feel if you know what I mean. 'Just Wave' is a nice instrumental track which makes me feel cozy.
But then comes a more disturbing piece 'It's the Real Thing' which is just great. Somewhat similar to track 2 but darker, with some pseudo-gothic sounds, and one of the most amazing lyrics I've ever heard:
"I'll take a brandy on the rocks
Your shrunken head packed in a box
Something to take home to mother"
and sung with such inimitable emotion, I stmes think Ka-spel's heart is placed instead of his vocal chords.
'A Bargain at twice the price' is less catchy, more spoken than sung, with distorted voice, electronic rhythm, saxos at the end which may remind of The Maria Dimension. After this comes a 1-minute song called 'Daisy' which is one of those LPD extravaganzas like 'The Peculiar Fun Fair' from the Any Day Now album.
And then it's 'Birdie', a delicious song about a bird who still sings for its masters even though it knows they have left home 'cos it's on fire but have left the bird there, in its cage. Sad, melancholy, heartfelt song. Ka-spel obviously feels what he sings, and makes us participate with the feling. I love to participate even if it's such a sad feeling. A saxo driven song you'll never get tired to listen to.
'Lisa's Surfing' is, in terms of sound, a happier song. Nice.
And the album ends with 'Wax and Feathers' which is just stuning. Soothing elctronic sounds with superb and heartfelt Edward's singing (he is a "mad" who is convinced he can fly), then the electronics get more and more climatic. It's one of the songs on which Ka-spel's voice sounds better than ever, and that's saying a lot. When I listen to this song, tears usually roll down from my eyes and make useless my weeping the tears I cried while listening to 'Birdie' out.
This album is one of the best LPD albums I've ever lsitened to, that is, one of the best albums I've ever heard from any band. And having in mind that they have released around 30 albums during the 22 years they're around, and 99% of them are excellent and the rest just very good, you can imagine how good this album is.
If you think music cannot be experimental and heartfelt at the same time, that's because you have never listened to The Legendary Pink Dots. Do yourself a favour... listen to this.

9 Lives to Wonder
9 Lives to Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars one of their most calmed albums, 15 Sept. 2002
This review is from: 9 Lives to Wonder (Audio CD)
I usually begin my reviews on this band by making an laudatory introduction of this great but -unfair world- unknown band. But I'll pass now directly on to review this album.
9 Lives to Wonder is one of their most relaxed albums; when you listen to it for the first times, everything in this album sounds controlled; unlike in 'Crushed Velvet Apocalypse', for instance, where rage is quite evident (listen to 'Hellsville' as a perfect illustration of this), in '9 lives to wonder' we are placed before a series of songs where the instruments and the voice all sounds as if the emotions wore a metal mask (to use a Ka-spel usual metaphor); but don't get me wrong... this is only on the early listens.
Upon further listens you realise this album is full of contradictory emotions fighting against a sense of soporific net that covers all. Most of the songs are melcancholic, although there are exceptions. But with The Legendary Pink Dots, all appearances might mislead you. The songs finally come out as being not as relaxed as it seemed at first.
This album blends perfectly the electronic and non-electronic elements, though I'm sure this distinction is false regarding this band: The LPD is not a band that can be described in terms of what instruments they use: they may use all instruments you can imagine, and they have never had any problem in including a 99% acoustic guitar song and then a heavily electronic one: it all depends on the mood they want to create, defying all genres.
Which songs wold I stand out? well, maybe all of them. My favourites are:
'Madame Guillotine', a very electronic piece.
'On another shore', a very relaxed song in which all sounds subdued in order to give a sense of mystery. Reminds me a lot of 'To be an angel blind...' from Tear Garden.
'Crums on the carpet' and 'A crack in melancholy time' are the most danceable songs in the album, the potential hits, with catchy choruses and addictive melodies.
'Siren' is very beautiful. They use two voices, both Ka-spel of course but singing the same lines at different moments, all against an orchestral background. Sweet.
'Nine Shades to the circle', a 10-minute spoken piece, following the style of other Ka-spel related songs ('With Wings', 'A velvet resurrection'), in which a nightmarish repetion of acts creates a really nightmare of a song, with very interesting sound effects and strange voices. Superb.
All in all, I wouldn't say this is one of my favourite LPD albums, but having in mind they have around 30, and 100% of them are from very good to excellent, this is no underestimation of this work of art.
Probably better than its following album ('From here you'll watch the world go by'), I recommend this album and of course this band to anyone interested in both experimental and emotional music.

Tangram
Tangram

4.0 out of 5 stars listenable and enjoyable; gooe electronic album, 30 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Tangram (Audio CD)
This was the first cd I bought and listened to by Tangerine Dream. When I did so I thought ok, it's inteersting, listened to it a couple of times and forgot about it for 3 or 4 months. Then, one day I saw it in my cd collection and put it on the disc-player: and realised I had been wrong those 3 or 4 months. It deserves many listenings. After that, I started to buy some other TD cds; so, if you're new to Tangerine Dream, you may start with this one.
Tangram is made up of two long songs, almost 20 minutes each. They are a sort of electronic collage, maybe following the idea of the title, the songs are like a tangram, consisting of pieces that fit into each other perfectly.
Unlike earlier albums such as Phaedra and Rubycon, Tangram is less atmospheric and ambient and more varied and listenable. Less scary, more enjoyful. Especially set 1, which is my favourite, from the start you get mesmerised by the sound of some processed wind instrument, then some whistling in the middle of the song; it's sometimes more psychedelic, sometimes more Kraftwerk-like; you never get tired of it since the pieces of the song-collage change before you may feel bored of them. Set 2 is more ambient, using more samples and less rhytmic. In fact, in Tangram there's little beat, all the music is made up of the different synthesizer melodies; and, unlike its predecessor, the very good Force majeure, there are no guitars.
I admit I'm only interested in the music Tangerine dream made in the 70's and early 80's; so having this in mind, I consider Tangram, especially the first song, to be one of their best, though as a whole I prefer Force Majeure.
Some sounds may become outdated today, and that's someting many people use to attack electronic bands; however, I think guitar music may also become dated, it all depends on what we look for in music. Personally I like to investigate new bands and new sound, but I also love to feel the pleasure of rediscovering old bands which (as most people seem to forget very often) sounded very very innovative at the time. Once said so, I think Tangerine Dream, though often criticised as being too pretentious (isn't a usual chracteristic of genius being pretentious? wasn't Dali pretentious? and Joyce, and Nabokov, and Roger Waters? etc etc) they should be considered as one of the bands that defined what electronic music and modern music in general is. Maybe less famous than Kraftwerk, but equally as important. And Tangram is a very recommendable album.

From Here You'll Watch the Wor
From Here You'll Watch the Wor

4.0 out of 5 stars not one of their best, but brilliant enough., 11 Aug. 2002
I must recognise this work disappointed me a bit when I first listened to it. Mind, if you're new to this band, don't you think even for a minute that this is a bad album. In fact it is a very good piece of music; however, this band has made so many albums (over 20) and all of them so so good, that IN MY HUMBLE OPINION this album is one of their "less good".
This album is less electronic than usual, it's somewhat simpler sonically but not melodically: in fact, it's less catchy than 'The Maria Dimension' or 'The Golden Age', for example.
The album begins with 'Clockwise', a so-called folk song with guitar and some strange noises to accompany it. Edward tells us surrelistic stories as usual, but I find his voice in this song somewhat subdued, a bit muffled, and that's sth I don't like 'cos I do love his voice. (I love the way he sings in Tear Garden's 'Ascension Day', for example) It'0s not a bad song, anyway.
'Citadel' is more psychedelic, Edward screams stmes, spooky synth noises and percussion is the most important elements in the song. 'Friend' is a short acoustic ballad about an invisible song which is maybe the narrator himself, who seems to be in a nuthouse or sth. A strange song: it begins as an easy ballad but somewhat in the middle, and especially due to Edward's singing, becomes disturbing. I like it. 'A velvet resurrection' is the most electronic piece in the album. Ka-spel spoken voice tells us about what he would like to believe in, but we caught him in a bad moment. I like the song, but somewhat I expected more from it when it started. 'Kollusim' is a fragile ambient song, instrumental. Just a bridge which leads us to '1001 Commandments', a strange song. A bit retro, but somewhat original. And then comes the bluff: 'Remember me this way' is a rock song I don't like. Not even Edward's voice can make me like this song. It's so so unoriginal. 'This One Eyed Man is King': from such a title nothing could come out bad. It's a disturbing song, the first half with Ed singing in his most disturbing noise. When my mother heard it she asked 'is this singing?' yes, his voice sounds quite strange, and I like it. 'Straight on til morning' is another spoken song. I like it, but somehow I think 2 spoken songs are too much in the same album. This song goes in league with 'A velvet resurrection' or Tear Garden's 'With wings'. 'Damien' is simply one of the best songs I've ever heard, with a sweet piano making it more palatable and a Gilmour-like guitar at the end. I like the story, I like the voice, I like the song. 'This hollowed ground' is another folkish song, with acoustic guitar and birds' singing; I like it, Ed sings so sweetly.
As a whole, this album seems to me a bit unispired, but always following LPD standards , which are incredibly high. In fact, I can't imagine a band with so many good albums (and yet so unknown).
If you are new to LPD, I'd recommend you the following albums to start with: 'Any day now', 'The maria dimension', '9 lives to wonder'. Then the rest, which are simply amazing, with special mention to 'The golden age' and 'The crushed velvet apocalypse'.

The Maria Dimension
The Maria Dimension

5.0 out of 5 stars simply one of the best albums i've ever heard, 11 Aug. 2002
This review is from: The Maria Dimension (Audio CD)
The Legendary Pink Dots should be considered a classic band: they have achieved a style exclusively of their own and at the same time received great influences (pink floyd's for instance), and they have expressed their genius through over 30 albums, all of highly considerable quality and inspiration.
The maria dimension is one of their best efforts. The Rough Guide says they redefined the concept of 'space-rock' with this album. I just say it's unlike anything you've ever listened to, it's a delicious aural experience.
All songs are amazingly good and flow into each other perfectly: they display all kind of instruments you can think of: electronics, guitars (acoustic and electric), sitars, violin, piano, etc. Edward Ka-spel's voice is as splendid as always, with his mixture of childish and mature voice that makes him into a sort of odd bird in the musical scene.
The whole album is exquisite, it's one of those few albums where everything sounds perfect from beginning to end, no weak songs. There are moments with such utmost brilliance that should be pointed out though:
The medievalesque chorus in 'Pennies for heaven'...
The second part of 'The grain kings', I've never heard something like this, Pink Floyd fans should listen to this: it's a guitaristic catharsis, instruments sounding with so much eloquence as a human voice. I've never been so touched by an instrumental passage as with this song...
The piano 'The ocean cried:blue murder', also great...
The secon part of 'Evolution' makes you see you haven't lsietend to all with the grain kings, they're still able to surprise and delight you...
Maybe life's unfair, or maybe success is not measured in terms of fame, but The Legendary Pink Dots should deserve to be in a place of honour in the music history (together with The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, etc) (and if any of you is accquainted with the music of this band should know I'm not exagerating). Once said that, if you're interested in the band , 'The maria dimension' should be one of your first choices. My favourite album ever.

Caste O'graye Skreeens
Caste O'graye Skreeens
Offered by marvelio-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars the worst of the bunch; where is edward's emotional singing?, 8 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Caste O'graye Skreeens (Audio CD)
Edward Ka-spel is a genius.
Once said that, I'll admit that is an argueable sentence, but it caught your attention, I hope. All criticism on an artistic work, however objective we intend to sound, is finally a matter of opinion. For example, I consider myself a music lover and I think The Legendary Pink Dots is the best band that has ever existed, and should be considered in a parallel lever together with bands such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd or The Velvet Underground. But I know most people don't know The Legendary Pink Dots, and they are as music lovers as I am. So all's a matter of opinion, after all. My opinion: Edward Ka-spel is a genius.
How come, then, I rate this item with 2 stars? Because I think this is the least talented effort my admired Edward has ever done. Where is his emotional singing? where is his amazing melodies? where is his incredible ability to never bore? (strange sentence, I beg your pardon, but I don't know how to say it) This cd consists of 2 songs. The firts is over 50 minutes long; the 2nd is 2 or 3 minutes long. Almost completely electronic, the song progresses without abrupt changes, but on the contrary the evolution is so subtle that sometimes is quite boring, actually. It sometimes reminds me of The Legendary Pink Dots, since they also have many "ambient" songs (ambient used in a personal manner, though sometimes it's tru it reminds me even of FSOL). But it has very little to do.
However, I'd like to conclude saying that it seems to be his intention to be directly weird (he's always been deliciously weird, since he began 20 years ago, why being tastelessly weird?), I mean, it's not that he has lost his magic touch, but as if he wanted to sound anti-lpd on purpose. But his other solo albums are much much better. Anyway, I always say: in spite of everything I have just written, a criticism is just an opinion, you should forget my words and judge by yourself: listen to this album. (*But* if by any chance this has been the first cd you have listened to by this artist, either you like this cd or not, listen to more: they have very little to do. My advice: listen to The Legendary Pink Dots' 'The maria dimension', '9 lives to wonder', 'The golden age', 'The crushed velvet apocalypse', 'The tower'.............) thanks for reading.