Profile for Super Drumkit Dominator > Reviews

Content by Super Drumkit ...

Super Drumkit Dominator (Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
PlayStation Move Starter Pack with PlayStation Eye Camera, Move Controller and Starter Disc (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the Wii, 4 Jan. 2011
This motion controller is much better than the Wii, it makes it look like a toy in comparison. Obviously this kind of motion activated device owes a lot to Nintendo's innovation and specifically to the Wii, but in my opinion this almost negates the need to ever get a Wii. I say almost because there is a distinct lack of games on the PS3 designed that run with the Move controllers. It's a real shame because the good ones work really well (table tennis on sports champion had me obsessed for weeks!). This is essentially the same technology as the Wii-mote controllers, but with the added motion tracking technology that is being used for special effects in movies nowadays. It makes for a very accurate tool. It's also not quite got it over the Wii because one of the best things about getting a Wii was the access to Nintendo's roster of exclusive games, such as Mario Galaxy and Zelda. Playstation need to get out more games that really make great use of the Move controller, then there really will be no contest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2011 1:02 PM GMT

What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness
What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and easy to read., 30 July 2010
Jon Ronson should write all books - I'd have read everything by now! A brilliant mix of everyday encounters and deeper journalistic pieces. See also Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness for more of the same.

Shit My Dad Says
Shit My Dad Says
by Justin Halpern

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick read, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
This is a quick read with quite a few laugh out loud moments. It takes the format of alternately recounting a story about Justin and his dad and then reeling off a list of twitter sized dialogue fragments. It's good for car journeys or maybe even toilet reading since you can practically dip in and out at any point of the book and have a laugh.

Them: Adventures with Extremists
Them: Adventures with Extremists

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining Journalism., 16 July 2010
This book is a good introduction to the world of conspiracy theories. Even if you're already up to your waist in conspiracy theory books, this is still an entertaining and informative account. I say this is a good introduction to the conspiracy Theory world because it seems like Ronson himself is also very sceptical about the whole issue and almost seems to stumble upon it accidentally after spending time with a range of very different and extremely opinionated people. One of the most memorable scenes is one in which Ronson breaks into 'Bohemian Grove' (a large and surprisingly well documented retreat for powerful people, located deep in the Californian redwood forests) with American internet sensation and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones where they witnesses American presidents and industrial luminaries sacrificing the effigy of a child to a large stone owl statue. This is so bizarre it beggars belief, yet Ronson also made each of the encounters here into a Channel 4 TV programme and the footage seems to confirm it.
I consider this book to be a hugely important one, in terms of it's subject matter and the public platform Jon Ronson has given it. It's also hugely funny and so easy to read that you really have no excuse to not to.

Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness
Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness

5.0 out of 5 stars Ludicrously easy to read., 16 July 2010
Jon Ronson should write all books - I'd have read everything by now! A brilliant mix of everyday encounters and deeper journalistic pieces. See also What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness for more of the same.

The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures
The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures
by Louis Theroux

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing look back at previous episodes, 16 July 2010
This book is a bit of a let down to be honest. Louis obviously decided to travel to America and write a book about trying to meet up with some of the previous subjects from his documentaries. Whatever the outcome, a book would be written about his trip, and the outcome is...not all that interesting. or funny. Read Jon Ronson for this type of journalism, only much more interesting. And far funnier.
P.S. Louis still makes brilliant programmes.

California Schemin
California Schemin
by Gavin Bain

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the Movie., 16 July 2010
This review is from: California Schemin (Paperback)
This is a hugely entertaining and readable account of a couple of Scottish guys who could have been the UK's answer to Eminem. A definite must read for anyone with even a passing interest in the music business.
At times I found Bain's descriptions of how brilliant an act they were to be a little hard to swallow completely, but I suppose I can believe that they flirted with major stardom in the way that they did. It probably happens to bands all the time, only not quite as entertainingly as this; since the pair were living their lives as character actors 24 hours a day, pretending to be American rappers, for a period of 5 years!
The book is very well written and is being turned into a film by 'Trainspotting' author Irvine Welsh.

Duma Key
Duma Key
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his recent best., 15 July 2010
This review is from: Duma Key (Paperback)
I bought this towards the end of a Greek holiday a couple of years ago. I bought it with probably 3 days until I returned home and I'd finished it by the time I got on the plane to come back (and it was by no means a reading holiday; it was more of a lads holiday, if you catch my drift!)
I found it a very engaging book. The main character, a fledgling artist (we've seen a few variations on this character from Stephen King over the years) was placed in a classic King scenario; channelling something he barely comprehended. I loved the way the story twisted and writhed just ahead of my grasp.
The ending was something of a let down, but he struggles with ending does Mr King. We know that. It's still great though. The only recent Stephen King book that I've enjoyed as much recently is Bag of Bones.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Mario adventure yet!, 14 July 2010
What I love about these games is that nothing has really changed since Mario 64 (on the N64) 14 years ago! 14 years and only 4 (four) 3-D Mario games! Who'd have thought it!? This one really is great though - as good as any of its predecessors and then some. All the controls work the same, so you already know how how to do all the old familiar back flips and long jumps. If you don't already know how to pull off Mario's repertoire of signature moves it won't take you long to have them all under your fingertips - they're really intuitive and easy to execute.
I disagree with other Amazon reviewers who have said that this game is too easy. Some of it is nice and easy, but some parts of it are hard. Really, really hard (unlike the original Mario Galaxy which I thought was so easy it was boring). 30 minutes of doing the same small section of level around and around and I'm ready to throw the controller into the telly! Until I eventually complete the level in question and breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to do it any more. It usually happens that whatever level I'm playing after that seems ridiculously easy in comparison. That's probably my only real niggle with the game - the difficulty level feels inconsistent at times.
It's a wonderfully varied game though, from playing as good old Mario (or the slightly ganglier and subsequently harder Luigi), to riding Yoshi, to cloud Mario, bee Mario and rock Mario. There's all the different terrain you'd expect from a Mario game; Ice, Lava, deserts, forests etc. and the usual Mini Game fayre of racing, coin collecting and against the clock games.
Mario Games have been getting more and more refined with each release and this is the cream of the crop.
Terrific fun.

Grammar of the Edit
Grammar of the Edit
by Christopher J. Bowen

4.0 out of 5 stars Presented in a simple way, 11 July 2010
This review is from: Grammar of the Edit (Paperback)
I read this book before I read the Grammar of the shot. I found it very useful and not just for editing either because a lot of the principles were duplicated in the grammar of the shot and relate to both. It is presented in a clear manner (rule #1, rule #2 etc.) that I found refreshing. That's what I was looking for, a list of classical rules (good practise/bad practise etc.) because that kind of thinking is missing from a lot of the text books I've read. That kind of attitude tends to be an old fashioned approach (see also 'The 5 C's of cinematography') but I really appreciate what the old standards were, even though we live in an age where rules are meant to be broken. You've got to know the rules before you can break them.
I'd recommend reading both 'The Grammar of the Edit' and 'The Grammar of the Shot' as two halves of the same book, even though they both contain overlapping information.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3