Profile for Conkerbot > Reviews

Content by Conkerbot

Conkerbot (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Estone 800pcs Laptop Screws Set + Screwdriver For IBM Toshiba Sony Dell Samsung Lenovo
Offered by Heavenbley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value set!, 16 Feb. 2016
This was a great set, incredibly well packaged with every type of screw in their own labeled bag. The included screwdriver - okay, it doesn't match up to my high end set, but it more than does the job. The price is amazing and the shipping time tolerable given that it is shipped from China.

Fisual Chunky Reuseable Hook & Loop Cable Ties - 20 Pack Black
Fisual Chunky Reuseable Hook & Loop Cable Ties - 20 Pack Black
Offered by AudioVisual Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent cable-ties, 9 Dec. 2014
I use these cable ties to keep the AV and networking cabling in my student-flat neat, and they do a good job of it. They are Velcro fastened, and they can hold several cables together (the most I have is 4, but if I had to estimate I'd say 6 depending on thickness). They can be slightly fiddly to attach in very tight spaces - and if you have long or difficult cables you will go through these quickly (they are reusable, and this isn't a slight against these particular cable-ties). By being velcro, they can keep cables tightly bunched but by being thick enough there's no risk of them damaging the cables by being too tight and restrictive.

I do wish they didn't have the visual logo on them, as they would look slightly cleaner. But for the price, they're fine.

Bosch TAT3A0133G Village Toaster, Two Slice - Black
Bosch TAT3A0133G Village Toaster, Two Slice - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toaster at sensible price., 9 Dec. 2014
I think the best thing about this toaster is that it toasts nice and evenly, and covers the entirety of even larger slices of bread. It has a nice warming rack built in which pops out too. It doesn't take too long to toast, and goes from very light to very burnt settings with a lot of adjustment in between.

It looks smart (got ours in Black) maybe even slightly stylish, and is pretty easy to keep clean in a kitchen environment (we have ours right beside the hob).

When you get it, you are meant to run it twice on full power - I suspect to burn off any residue from manufacturing, as there was a strong smell of plastic when doing this (you are advised to do this in a ventilated room). When doing this, the machine also got warm enough you could feel heat emanating from it. But both of these are to be expected, and don't happen in day-to-day usage.

For the money, I think this is a great toaster. And Bosch are a great brand, owned a number of their products, so I am confident it will work well for a good while.

World of Data 5m Coax Cable - 24k Gold Plated - Male to Male (M-M) - FREE Female to Female (F-F) Coupler Included - White Colour - Antenna - TV - Satellite - Lead - Extension
Offered by World of Data Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job fine!, 9 Dec. 2014
It's a perfectly adequate cable for my purpose (TV signals) at a great price. The included adaptor is a nice touch, although I found it to be ever so slightly loose so it's not going to be able to hold any weight or tension. But for the price, can't complain - plus usual Amazon service, and very minimal packaging (which is a positive).

MaxiNutrition Lean Promax - Raspberry, 1.2 kg
MaxiNutrition Lean Promax - Raspberry, 1.2 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes like raspberry ripple ice cream - good quality diet protein powder, 2 Oct. 2014
I cannot say exactly how effective it is, but it does help after a workout. But I mainly just want to comment on the taste, which I'd say is like cheap raspberry ripple ice cream. That is a compliment; to my tastebuds, it is much nicer and masks the taste better than the strawberry flavour. I think adding a couple ice cubes to the shaker may actually cool it down and make it nice! But that's what the taste is like, otherwise nothing more to comment other than I think this brand of protein works well for me (I like the fact it has caffeine and green tea extracts in it as well). Only 4 stars as it's slightly expensive (but probably worth it), and I still find it slightly hard to actually enjoy drinking this (or any other) water-based protein shake.

Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!: A Beginner's Guide
Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!: A Beginner's Guide
by Miran Lipovača

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me through my Haskell course, 14 May 2013
If your course requires you to learn Haskell, this is the book you want. It covers the language from the very foundations to the very advanced concepts, and goes slowly and in great detail (without being verbose) so you're never left thinking "huh?".
Some on my course complained that you couldn't just pick it up to review a bit you were unsure about; I disagree, you just had to start at the beginning of the topic which may mean you repeat a bit but also leaves you with a much deeper understanding of the concept at the end. And unlike all other programming books I've found, this one through it's word choice, pictures and use of examples is genuinely(!) fun to read.
Is it for you? See for yourself! Google the title of the book and you'll be able to read it in it's entirety for free on the author's website. Then, it's your choice whether it works for you, if printed or digital is better for you and/or you want to support the author. In short, a fantastic book and you can even try before you buy!

WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black
WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, large, quick external HDD., 14 May 2013
In short, this is a very good external HDD. It's quick due to USB 3 and a decent HD contained within, although I have not in this time benchmarked it but I doubt you'd get faster from a portable HDD. It's casing is very sturdy, unlike the earlier My Passports. I definitely have no problems taking this in a bag with me.

It's also ridiculously quiet; even with no background noise it is inaudible. The casing also stays cool, and the WD Tools software never reports temperatures either I or it considers uncomfortable. It comes with some backup software, some utilities for it, some encryption stuff and possibly some other stuff. I only installed the tools and removed the rest as I just wanted one big external medium so cannot comment on the quality of any of the other software apart from the tools which was very good.

Finally, it's packaged well so it's safe but not infuriating to open, and Amazon's service was great as always. I only use WD drives personally or on other's computers (except when I can't get my hands on them) and I've never experienced one fail on me, and found them to be very good quality. I admit this is purely subjective, but so is this review. So, in short, I am more than willing to give this hard drive 5 stars.

If I had to pick a negative, the cable could do with being a bit longer, but it's not really an issue.

Anyway, great piece of kit at a great price!

Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction, International Edition
Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction, International Edition
by David Poole

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay., 7 Feb. 2013
If you're buying this, likely your university is making you buy it, so this review is kind of redundant. But here it is anyway.

The paper quality is very poor, and is likely to gain cosmetic damage through day-to-day usage. But the printing is good quality, and it is pretty good at staying on the page.

The exercises are also very good though, and all the answers I checked were correct (surprisingly rare for a maths textbook!).

The main problem is that its explanations of concepts, while sometimes brilliant, can also be very poor in places due to lack of explanation, making too big a logical jump at once or simply leaving proof as exercise to the reader - a problem most of my friends on my Linear Algebra course commented on. Unless you are very good at maths already, you will probably need to supplement this textbook with a lot of additional work or resources (either extra books or just online explanations).

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2 m / 6.5 Feet Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an HDMI cable!, 7 Feb. 2013
It meets the newest standard (carrying AV and Ethernet). It's as long as it says it is. It has gold plated connectors, and it feels sturdy enough. If space is tight, consider one that's a tad more flexable/has adjustable heads. Otherwise, this is a fine ethernet cable. 5 stars because it is £4 including delivery.

Dressed Up As Life [Explicit Version] [Us Import]
Dressed Up As Life [Explicit Version] [Us Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album from a very talented band, 25 Jan. 2011
I discovered Sick Puppies browsing though recommendations on Spotify, and quickly fell in love with their heavy rock/metal style, as well as catchy-yet-clever lyrics.
There are no dud-songs on this album and I listen to all the songs, but there are some gems: "Too Many Words" and "The Bottom" are my favourites.
The band also manages to pull of the deep and slightly unusual (as well as hugely creepy) "Howard's Tale" which blends spoken word verses with heavy-metal in other parts. I won't say what I believe the meaning of the song to be, but it's one of the most thought-provoking songs I've heard from a recent band.

If you want one of Sick Puppies albums, I'd recommend you purchase this one first over Tri-Polar as this is closer to their core and while Tri-Polar has some amazing songs on it, the overall quality of the whole album is slightly less than this one. I'd also recommend the explicit version of this album; they don't use naughty language often, but the blanks in the clean versions of the songs are very noticeable.

My only complaint would be that, as a US import, my album had a silly FBI anti-piracy label (hello, already bought it!) which left some glue-residue on the case which I haven't been able to remove (GRRRR). Overall, a great album from a great band.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2011 1:47 PM GMT