Profile for Mel & the Melettes > Reviews

The Jewel In The Crown: The Complete Series [DVD]
The Jewel In The Crown: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peggy Ashcroft

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, depressing, 2 Jun. 2017
Grim, slow, depressing. I only managed 2 episodes. Typical British drama with upper class stereotypes, sadistic cruelty and racism. Probably an accurate reflection of the times, but who needs to spend their spare time watching a bunch of loathsome people behave badly in the most boring way?

Yasutomo Pearlescent Watercolor Set, 21 Colors-Assorted Colors
Yasutomo Pearlescent Watercolor Set, 21 Colors-Assorted Colors
Offered by supermart USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Sad small amount of paint and pigment., 20 April 2017
Hardly any paint in the pans. Not very opaque so it's all a bit underwhelming really. I paid £8 odd for these, but I don't feel as though I've got good value. The full price (these were on offer) was £12 and I think I would have been really annoyed if I'd paid that.

I would suggest buying some metallic acrylics instead.

Makhry 150 Gram Assorted Vintage Bronze Metal Steampunk Jewelry Making Charms Cog Watch Wheel for Crafting, Cosplay Halloween Decoration (Copper)
Offered by MakhryUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection., 14 Feb. 2017
Great. Good selection but very few of the biggest cogs.

Protein Empire High Strength CLA Fat Burner 1,000mg 90 Softgels UK Manufactured
Protein Empire High Strength CLA Fat Burner 1,000mg 90 Softgels UK Manufactured
Offered by Protein Empire

2.0 out of 5 stars Dunno. No change in weight or fatness., 8 Jan. 2017
This didn't work for me. I didn't diet, I didn't exercise and I took these tablets. No difference. If you are dieting and exercising maybe these will help you, who knows?

The Waxworks Murder
The Waxworks Murder

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 6 Jan. 2017
This review is from: The Waxworks Murder (Paperback)
Great! The usual highquality JDC twisty turny plot. :)

Ghost's High Noon
Ghost's High Noon
by John Dickson Carr

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Ghost's High Noon (Paperback)
I love John Dickson Carr, but this one was quite annoying, somehow.

King Of Flash 9 x USB Flash Drives Carrying Case with Padded Protection for Flash/Key Drives - Black
Offered by KING OF FLASH

4.0 out of 5 stars This is quite smart and very useful, 6 Jan. 2017
This is quite smart and very useful. The reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that half of the elasticated pockets are quite tight and small.

Chapelwood 50 Tub Suet Balls
Chapelwood 50 Tub Suet Balls
Offered by Garden Selections

1.0 out of 5 stars Birds don't like them. NOT bird food. Utter waste of money. DON'T BUY THEM., 6 Jan. 2017
The birds just don't seem to like these. The fat balls that I normally get are fought over by all the birds and consumed really quickly within a couple of days. These look quite different - kind of orange colour, and the birds don't seem to be keen. I've had some out for about 2 weeks now and they've hardly been touched. At this rate this bucket is going to last me for the rest of my life!!!! I wouldn't buy these again and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Update: I'm really angry. I don't know whats in these but it's certainly not bird food. I used to have loads of birds wolfing down the other fat balls I put out (co-op, tescos, pound shop etc), but now the garden is empty. An utter waste of money. Disgraceful. DO NOT BUY THESE. Chapelwood you should be ashamed of yourselves.

The Arabian Nights Murder/a Dr. Gideon Fell Mystery
The Arabian Nights Murder/a Dr. Gideon Fell Mystery
by John Dickson Carr

4.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious! Incredibly complex., 20 Dec. 2016
John Dickson Carr (aka. Carter Dickson) is the undisputed master of the "locked room" mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed this "impossible" whodunnit - Carr leads the reader by the nose through the story, everytime you think you've figured it out, a few pages later one of the characters suggests it and is shot down by the sleuth. It's uncanny, almost as if Carr knows what the reader is thinking at any time! Highly ingenious. I didn't guess the murderer and I normally guess these things, having been brought up on Agatha Christie... The Arabian Nights Murder is longer than some of the other books of Carr's that I've read and involves loads of twists at the end. I found it quite confusing towards the end, but ultimately satisfying.

It was written in the 30's and relfects that time, the plot is set in and around a museum in central London and has plenty of atmosphere. Carter Dickson is out of print since the 70's, so you'll only find second hand copies of this book.

The White Priory Murders
The White Priory Murders
by Carter Dickson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious! Loved it., 20 Dec. 2016
Carter Dickson (aka. John Dickson Carr) is the undisputed master of the "locked room" mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed this "impossible" whodunnit - Carter Dickson leads the reader by the nose through the story, everytime you think you've figured it out, a few pages later one of the characters suggests it and is shot down by the sleuth. It's uncanny, almost as if Dickson knows what the reader is thinking at any time! Highly ingenious. I didn't guess the murderer and I normally guess these things, having been brought up on Agatha Christie...

It was written in the 30's and relfects that time, the plot is set in a large country house and has plenty of atmosphere. Carter Dickson is out of print since the 70's, so you'll only find second hand copies of this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4