Profile for Judge Holden > Reviews

Locke And Key: Welcome to Lovecraft
Locke And Key: Welcome to Lovecraft
by Joe Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing story superb artwork, 7 Feb. 2014
This comic came highly recommended but I have to say I was disappointed. I found the experience to be distinctly underwhelming and over very fast. The majority of characters were not particularly interesting or engaging and as for the horror aspects I just did not feel them. The main ghost who lives down the well was neither scary or original. The serial killer was just a pathetic lunatic. However the saving grace is the artwork which is superb. I can’t really recommend it unless you can get it very cheap.

The Luminaries
The Luminaries
by Eleanor Catton

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Luminaries (Hardcover)
This book is dull. I tried my best to get through it without falling asleep and failed on each occasion. The writing is unnecessarily convoluted in both its plotting and the way in which the plot is expressed. The characters are not engaging on any level. The writing style had me fighting to keep my eyes open within minutes. I am amazed anybody could stick with this to the end. I am sorry to say I gave up and dropped it off at the book depository after 300 pages. This is one of only 3 books I have not finished in my 35 years on this earth! Everybody should avoid like the plague - you are simply wasting your time.

Rugby World Cup 2011 (PS3)
Rugby World Cup 2011 (PS3)
Offered by Gamesbuyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK!, 18 Sept. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Listen this game is alright. Its not great or elite but its OK. I have played Madden for years now because their has been no rugger game on the consoles so I was happy to see a rugger game at my local tescos. Ok so its no Madden but Madden took years to get to the level of polish and goodness it now shows. I picked my beloved Wales and had a blast. Yes the game is limited but its still the best rugger game out their!

And its not BAD. Till Rugby Challenge comes out its the best thing going so if you like rugby like I do you will enjoy this. Its not perfect but I played a limited game of possession and defence and it allowed me to do this. OK so penalities are not as common as in the actual game and if you get good at off loading you can beat anyone but its still the best rugger experience on the playstation. You gotta roleplay a bit and not soccer kick your way to victory. And its not bad or terrible. Its OK. I paid £25 at my tescos and it was well worth it. I have played it for over 30 hours now and I am still having fun. So if you like rugger buy this if you dont well then dont!

Monsters [Blu-ray]
Monsters [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Whitney Able
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Tantric Alien Love, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Monsters [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The film was a solid 3 star nothing special but mildly diverting until near the end when the alien squids get it on! Has to be one of the silliest things I have ever seen. The fact that it was building up to a big kiss between the two leads and the blonde girl was actually crying made it all the more silly. Lets be fair if you were faced with two massive squids having sex then you would get the hell outta there especially given the massive destruction they have levelled on mexico.
The director was clearing going for the big emotional climax but for this viewer it simply left me woundering why I had spent an hour and a half watching this pap.

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)
Fallout: New Vegas (PS3)

1.0 out of 5 stars A BROKEN GAME, 2 Nov. 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I find it simply unacceptable that you have to reboot this game every 45 minutes because of game crashes. You cannot get into the flow at all and are constantly thinking everytime you enter an new area "will it crash". Nevertheless I stuck with it and thought I could live with it untill my auto save got corrupted and I could not load it. This meant I would have to repeat about three hours worth of play. I simply could not accept that and I have returned the game.

I am amazed that this game is getting such good reviews when games journalists should be attacking bethesda for such a buggy broken product. The attitude seems to be either "yeah the game is buggy but its still an amazing game" or "hold on for the patches". The fact is that the Fallout 3 engine for some reason is prone to freezing. I bought the game of the year edition for fallout 3 and although I had not problem for ages it got the the point were it was freesing every half an hour and became unplayable.

Fallout New Vegas is actually WORSE. It has started out with regular freezing - god knows how bad it will get when the save file is huge and you have spent hours on the thing.

Come on people take you game back and send a clear message to Bethesda that its not acceptable to sell a BROKEN game!!!

Mafia II (PS3)
Mafia II (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited sandbox experience, 1 Sept. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mafia II (PS3) (Video Game)
I only play sandbox games so have been looking forward to this for a while but I am sad to say that this is no GTA 4 not even a Just Cause 2 even.

The world itself is great and indeed I liked the crisp visuals over GTA IV's murky lighting but their is just not enough to do beyond driving around, getting drunk, buying suits and knocking over the odd store.

As a dedicated sandbox player nothing enrages me more than when you complete the main "story" and the game just ends. Luckily their is a select mission option so you can go back a couple of missions when you have $24k and a crummy apartment.

The story missions are fine but you will finish them in 6 to 8 hours tops.

The game does have some good ideas like the garage, modding your cars, and decent clothing selection but you come back to the same problem that their just is not enough to do in Empire bay.

It would be great if they had just stuck in a taxi job or even a fight club as the games melee fighting is better than GTA IVs but their is simply nothing to do beyond the main missions. I am sure it would not have been that hard just to implament a few sub games or side missions and improve the overall game greatly. They have done the hard work in making a decent city why not spend another six months or so giving us something to do in it?!

I am sure I will fire it up now and again for an hours driving around aimlessly even if only to
listen to the music and drive my black Smith Thunderbolt but for a decent sandbox experience I'm afraid its back to GTA IV.

Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Alan Wake (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

2.0 out of 5 stars A very average game, 19 May 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alan Wake (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The mystery at the heart of this game is how this game took 5 years to make. It started out with the great concept of GTA meets silent Hill and ended up as Uncharted with Ghosts. I finished it after 8 hours and found it far too easy. There is no reason to replay. My advice is to rent it because it simply is not worth the money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 10:03 PM BST

Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
Offered by Gameseek

2.0 out of 5 stars Massive disappointment, 25 Nov. 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I am sorry to write this review as I have loved everything that bioware has done but I have to say that this is a massive disappointment as reflected by the reviews in the Edge 5 out of 10 and PSM 64%.

The problems started right from the outset when you realise just how fiddly and unrewarding the combat is. I tried to use the tactics screen to arrange my tanks, healers and archers but half the time they simply defaulted to basic attacks even when their stamina/magic bars were full. The targeting system is poor and it's easy to select your own side or the wrong enemy.

This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that even on normal difficultly the game is very easy especially if you level up your characters sensibly and have the right mix. By the time I got to the Dwarf city I simply left my party members do their inept jobs of following my orders while I hacked my way through the monsters that were in front of me. Virtually no tactical thought was required but at least you could watch the violence without any distractions.

Once you are out in the real world I was amazed by the amount of invisible walls and barriers that hinder your progress. Even in open areas you are constantly reminded that you cant go here and have strictly limited freedom of movement. This was fine years ago but with the likes of Oblivion and GTA 4 where you can wander around without these walls it simply is not good enough. Mass effect handled this far better and I never felt so hemmed in and restricted.

The plot is as total cliché (gather an army and fight the dark lord - come on!) and the dialogue and voice acting is in places awful.

Its not a total disaster and some regions such as the Deep Roads and forest ruins are good and for a minute you forget you are in such a restrictive game. The levelling system is well handled and does have a clear impact in combat. There is also the pleasure of seeing your character develop into a killing machine but then this is present in every good RPG. The use of runes for weapons is also simple and user friendly.

I dare say the branching storyline is good and the way your actions come back and haunt you is clever but they do not make up for the games obvious failings. I could not honestly recommend this game as the crushing sense of disappointment and overall feeling that it should have been so much better rob it of any pleasure.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2009 9:41 PM GMT

Borderlands (PS3)
Borderlands (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick product, 27 Oct. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands (PS3) (Video Game)
This is a very slick product.

The graphics are sharp, the game play is tight and its certainly one of the most finished games out of the box I have played in ages.

If you like to snipe (and who does not) then the Hunter class is great fun to play. The weapons are interesting and varied and the levelling up process works well and makes you want to keep playing to beef up your character. I currently have a level 25 Hunter who is absolutely deadly at long range and his pet eagle (blood wing) is awesome at taking out those hard to reach enemies.

I would call it an open world first person shooter with a very basic RPG levelling system bolted on. It is also is great value for money as I have played for over 12 hours now and have just completed chapter one (compare operation flashpoint: dragon rising where you can complete the single player game in 7 hours!!). The respawning is well handled and not overly relentless and the missions are as varied as they can be given that this is a shooting game.

Overall I would recommend this game to anyone who likes FPS shooters and the open world games. Its also great to play a game with no bugs and seemingly no need for any patching on the single player at least (compare Fallout 3 Game of the Year which has bugs and the worst slowdown I have ever experienced on a playstation 3 game).

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (PS3)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (PS3)
Offered by rockaway-records

1.0 out of 5 stars Too short for the money, 19 Oct. 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I came to this game without any real expectations other than the fact it would be a tactical squad based shooter that would have a free roam element.

It is certainly is a tactical squad based shooter. It does not however contain any free roaming element. Still that would not have been so bad if the game had a long campaign. It does not. I bought this on Saturday morning and it was all finished by Saturday evening.

I am by no means an expert but I am cautious and worked out early on that the key to the game was to stay low and find a gun with a decent sight on it. If you do that then not only can you kill most enemies within 200 - 250 meters of you but you can do so before they can hit you. Some of the missions have an annoying time based element (the tanks will start moving before you take out the AT teams, the helicopters will fly before you wipe out the AA guns etc) which is not only unrealistic (can you imagine the order going out "Righto chaps chocs away we don't think the AA guns are down but hopefully the troopers will take them out by the time we arrive") but it forces you into the sort of suicidal charging that would be totally insane on the modern battlefield.

I am therefore afraid that if you buy this game expecting the single player game to last more than 7 to 8 hours then you will be sorely disappointed. There are a handful of "bonus" missions but these are painfully short, easy and with the exception of a lighthouse assault very familiar.

There is also little point in replaying the missions as I replayed mission 3, in which you defend a village, 4 times and the experience was largely the same. Indeed the only real difference was on the second occasion for some reason half the troops did not arrive so the mission was impossible.

I have no net access so multiplayer is not an option but if the Dragon Rising forum is anything to go by the multiplayer is a hopelessness buggy and frustrating experience.

I feel pretty ripped off I have to say at the shortness of the game and its total lack of replayability not to mention the glitches and poor AI. I cannot recommend the game in its current form to anyone at this price. I would say it was worth maybe £10 for the 8 hours of above average enjoyment. I have no desire to play it anymore and will be trading it in when Borderlands comes out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2012 7:44 PM GMT