Profile for Jimlad > Reviews

Content by Jimlad

Jimlad

Magellan Switch UP GPS Sports Watch w/ Heart Rate Monitor & Mounts (Crossover GPS Watch for multiple sport activities: Running, Jogging, Swimming, Cycling, Waterproof to 50 Metres )
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great product, works well but with a few drawbacks..., 13 Feb. 2015
Got this device a few days ago so heres my first impressions:

Positive-

- You get lots of goodies in the box for the price giving you opportunity to use the watch in a range of sports and gather a range of data. Great for the price
- It works really well and finds a GPS signal quickly and remains accurate. So far it has tracked my runs and rides well.
- The basic functions are easy to set up (I didnt bother with the instructions and managed to understand the basics well enough). Theres loads of options should you wish to customise the screen readout etc
- It has a decent battery life of about 7-8 hours use between charges so good for us 'average' athletes if not ultra endurance racers. You can buy additional battery packs to extend battery life but that that isnt included in the box.
- so far I've had no problem uploading my results via the USB connection.

Negatives -

- Its not the smallest or prettiest device out there. Its very functional in design. That didnt bother me but for those after something more 'blingy' beware!
- Theres no instruction manual in the box just a basic start up guide. Fair enough the manual is easily found online but it nice to have something to refer to straight out of the box.
- The screen on the watch isnt massive or amazingly bright, although you have the option to leave the light illuminated but at a drastic reduction in battery life.

Overall for the price I'm very pleased. Does everything I want as an everyday athelete at a bargain price.

Vengeful Spirit (The Horus Heresy)
Vengeful Spirit (The Horus Heresy)
by Graham McNeill

2.0 out of 5 stars The last two books were good and finally the plot seemed to be gathering pace ..., 17 Sept. 2014
A very disappointing entry into the Heresy series.

The last two books were good and finally the plot seemed to be gathering pace again. Now we're back into the slump.

Filled with pointless asides, references to events that have happened 'off screen' and get no further explanation and the mystery at the stories heart, why is the Warmaster so interested in Molech?, that's wrapped up in a few paragraphs!

Graham McNeill is actually a good writer so why this book falls so far below par is somewhat of a mystery. For me the central problem is that 'historically' we know how most of the main characters meet they're various ends. Assuming you are a Warhammer 40K fan and lets face it to make any sense of this, the 29th book in the series, you'd have to be. This robs the narrative of any punch. The other characters I'm really not made to care about. The best of the other books have gotten around this by offering fresh perspectives on established 40K lore. Not so this book which is a real shame as it could have explored how the corrupting power of chaos is affecting Horus.

And is anyone else fed up of the loyalist legions being made to look like idiots yet again?

In my opinion if you skip this book you wont be missing out on any major plot points for future books in the series.

A real missed opportunity...

The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Kindle Edition)
I came at this book knowing nothing of its history or classic status. It was simply one of those books I'd heard mentioned but never got around to reading.

All I can say is - wow!

What a great story. Multi layered and with an ending I truly never saw coming.

Great stuff and highly recommended.

Doctor Who: The Spear of Destiny: Third Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good tale, 8 April 2013
This story is a great tale of the third doctor. You can easily imagine the actors from the tv series delivering the dialogue and its good to see an old enemy return...

Doctor Who: The Nameless City: Second Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good yarn, 17 Mar. 2013
Very enjoyable tale of the second doctor including some surprises about the nature of the TARDIS... Looking forward to the next book.

Word to Word (Mega) - A fun and addictive free word association game
Word to Word (Mega) - A fun and addictive free word association game

5.0 out of 5 stars fab game, 21 Jan. 2013
It's a Really addictive game. it makes you really think about different word combinations and helps in exercising your brain and extending your knowledge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD, 27 Oct. 2012
I have been thinking about getting a tablet for awhile but didnt want to pay more than £200 at the most. Having shopped around and studied the various brands and specs available I went for the Kindle Fire HD. Its early days but heres my impression so far.

Pros-

Nicely built
Good battery life
Screen brightness and resolution is excellent
Good sound
Works with all the services I would want it to (Netflix, Iplayer, Youtube etc)
Fast over my wireless connection
Nice size to slot in your bag to carry around
Access to lots of music and books via Amazon. I have also copied some albums from my laptop onto the Kindle and they work just fine.

Cons-

App store is very limited at present compared to Apple or even Android store on my phone
Memory cant be expanded (although there is 5gb cloud storage via amazon included)
No charger in box (although you can pick up a cheap one easily enough and the charger for my smart phone luckily also fits the Kindle).

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend this as a great tablet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 9:52 AM GMT

Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1
Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files v. 1
by John Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 25 Feb. 2006
This is a fantastic collection of all Dredds early adventures. As a more 'casual fan' of the worlds toughest lawman I have followed his adventures on and off over the years.
This and subsequent volumes will give us all a chance to relive the highs (and lows) right from the beginning.
If I have a reservation its that you dont get all the overs to the various 2000AD issues included in the book. However that might have been a bit too much to ask!
Overall great!

About Time 1970-1974 Seasons 7 to 11 (About Time; The Unauthorized Guide to Dr. Who (Mad Norwegian Press))
by Lawrence Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide, 25 Jun. 2005
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a review in a magazine and I didnt regret it.
As a Dr Who fan I round much in this book (and the others in the series) to interest and inform.
Perhaps not the type of book to sit and read in one go, but what episode guide is?
A feature of 'About time' I really enjoy are the essays on a variety of subjects surrounding the series ranging from 'Why is the music so important?' to 'A history of UNIT'.
A most enjoyable series of guides. Recommended for die hards and casual fans alike.