Profile for Anita Dawes > Reviews

Stunning... really pleased!

Parallel Lies
Parallel Lies

5.0 out of 5 stars best book of the week!, 12 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Parallel Lies (Kindle Edition)
Right from the beginning of what appears to be the idyllic story of a woman’s life, you sense the ominous presence of a serious mystery seeping through the pages.

Maddy’s life seems perfect, but if you look closely you can see the joins. This is a woman with carefully guarded secrets. She is not what she pretends to be but gives nothing away. You sense how vitally important it is that it stays buried.

Slowly, almost teasingly, we start to learn the truth about Maddy. At first so proper, so delightfully independent, but as we begin to discover the truth, we find a very different woman. The more we find out, the more we know that what we are seeing is only the tip of the iceberg. She confides with the reader with candid honesty about the life she has so carefully constructed, and why it had been necessary.

As the skeletons of her life begin to show, we discover more grubby secrets, all alluding to something or someone so terrifying, she once ran away from.

The tension mounts as the past threatens to ruin all her carefully constructed peace, and I desperately wanted Maddy to rid herself of her demons and find happiness at last, but it looked hopeless.

I really enjoyed reading Parallel Lies, a beautifully written mystery with more twists and turns than a rattlesnake. Maddy is not your typical heroine, she comes with all manner of faults and failings. Some you won’t approve of, but you will understand them.

(Thank you to the author for my free review copy)

The Lost Corner
The Lost Corner

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read!, 12 Sept. 2017
This review is from: The Lost Corner (Kindle Edition)
This book opens with an earth- shattering discovery. Something Eve Murdoch cannot believe is true.

She tries to convince herself that she is mistaken, her brain refusing to consider what common sense is telling her.

Unable to cope she runs away, back to her roots in Norfolk, a county known locally as ‘The Lost Corner of England, a place where all lost objects eventually turn up.’ The author makes Norfolk sound very Cornish, what with all the talk of folklore and pagan magic.

Instead of finding the peace she so desperately needs, Eve finds herself involved in another complicated situation. A dangerous situation that begins to veer out of control, as the locals blame her arrival for recent disasters.

There are so many interesting characters in this book, all vividly portrayed and all with secrets of their own. It was hard to judge who Eve should trust, and I was wrong several times. I won’t tell you if Eve finds her peace and happiness, but you will enjoy the journey!

The Lost Corner very nearly made it on Kindle Scout, and deserves to be read. I found it an easy read, a lovely, yet very complex story. I enjoyed following Eve around, trying to unravel the many mysteries.

Narrow Margins - a laugh-out-loud book about life on the waterways (Narrow Boat 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Inspiration I was looking for!, 29 Aug. 2017
I am a fiction writer, trying to write a memoir based on a family holiday we took over forty years ago. Having never written in this genre before, I didn’t have a clue how to go about it. I was advised to read as much as I could of other author’s work, to see how it is best done.
I had read quite a few before picking up a copy of Marie Brown’s best selling novel, Narrow Margins and I didn’t need to look any further.
Narrow Margins is exactly the kind of book I want to write!
When life interferes and ruins her family life, she has to find a way to make the best out of a disaster. It seemed to be an impossible task, but fate intervened and suggested a houseboat might be the answer to their prayers.
How they manage to find one they can afford, and what happens next was an enchanting story. Beautifully written and uplifting too, proving that you can survive a disaster if you have enough determination.
My family has been through a similar situation, but I don’t think we handled it half as well as Marie and her family…

An Angel On Her Shoulder
An Angel On Her Shoulder

5.0 out of 5 stars such a brilliant story!, 11 Aug. 2017
I chose to read and review this supernatural thriller with a twist by Dan Alatorre because I am a great fan of his work. The last book I read, ‘Poggibonsi’ nearly had me splitting my sides, I laughed so much. There is always such a strong human element to his writing, which adds to the magic.

From the brilliant opening chapter, I knew this book would be good. The unusual chapter arrangement threw me at first, but I soon realised how well it gradually ramped up the tension.

Parts of the story were traumatic, enforcing the deep and dark theme of this book, despite being about a happy family unit. The main characters, Doug, Mallory and their daughter Sophie are portrayed so well, you feel you have known them all for years, and makes what happens to them all the more terrifying and exciting to read.

The supernatural element was handled well, really down to earth stuff that will raise the hair on the back of your neck time and again.

Near the end of the book was another shocking chapter, and then the unbelievably terrifying footage of being caught in a storm. So well depicted, I felt soaked to the skin and scared to death as the lightning rent the air.

Not many books have me cheering at the end, but this one did, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good thriller!

The Italian Thing
The Italian Thing

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest book I have read in a while!, 29 July 2017
This review is from: The Italian Thing (Kindle Edition)
I have always wanted to visit Italy, such a timeless and beautiful country with so many interesting places to visit.

Reading “The Italian Thing” will be like going there and seeing the country through someone else’s eyes, I thought, expecting to find a country I was already familiar with. I was looking forward to the trip of a lifetime and the book did not disappoint. It was well written, full of all the wonderful scenery and architecture I have come to expect of the country.

However “The Italian Thing” isn’t about the country, not really, it is about the people and family. About the lives they live and the glorious food they eat.
“Everything will be fine” is the Italians hilarious answer to everything, and is the key to understanding their very different way of life.

I loved the touches of humour, the very descriptive narrative, and the loving but feisty relationship between Pat and Mike. Who were out of their depth, and up to their eyes in food of every delicious description. How they came home weighing less than before is remarkable!

The Enhanced League
The Enhanced League

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual story, but a brilliant read!, 20 July 2017
I love the way Craig Boyack writes, I swear he could make the phone book interesting, so I was keen to read his latest story, which is all about baseball!
Not that I know much about baseball, but I knew the author would have included amazing characters and serious twists into it. The Enhanced League is the story of a baseball league where someone has thrown the rulebook out of the window. Nothing is as it should be, but far from being far fetched, the story line is eerily acceptable thanks to the author’s persuasive command of his writing!
At first, I thought this would be a collection of short stories, as these are something the author does really well. Instead it was a fascinating blend of characters, highly unusual situations and a hidden plotline, at first separate, but melding into the whole at the end. This was altogether innovative and made for a fascinating read.

Dragonfly Wishes
Dragonfly Wishes

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting story!, 19 July 2017
This review is from: Dragonfly Wishes (Kindle Edition)
I knew that Penny Harmon writes romance novels, but Dragonfly Wishes didn’t read like a romance at all in the beginning. The sad opening chapter set the tone for the book, at least that was my initial impression.
Callie’s world is in ruins, her husband and child gone.
What are you supposed to do at times like these?
How do you pick up the pieces of your life and carry on?
Although I haven’t lost anyone through illness or accident, I can only imagine how painful it must be, to be constantly reminded of all the things that have been taken away.
This book could have been all doom and gloom, but surprisingly, it wasn’t.
The arrival of a dragonfly and other mysterious incidents brings a radical change to Callie’s thinking. What starts out as one small flight of fancy, or was it something more? leads Callie on an endearing journey. The story of loss and bereavement quickly grows into a journey of discovery as Callie tries to get her life back on track.
Far from being a sad story, this book has it all, adventure, detective work, a bucket list and romance. I thoroughly enjoyed this well thought out, uplifting story, although it just missed out on five stars. I hate to spoil what should have been a faultless review, but this story would benefit from a professional final edit as some of the spelling errors and typos were annoying.

NO EXIT a gripping thriller full of heart-stopping twists
NO EXIT a gripping thriller full of heart-stopping twists

5.0 out of 5 stars heart-stoppingly brilliant!, 4 July 2017
The words on the cover “a gripping thriller full of heart-stopping twists” made me want to read this book. The second thing I noticed was there were no chapters as such, just a tight timeline of just 12 hours. As I started to read, I just knew it would be something very special.
Darby Thorne, a college student, is fighting her way through a blizzard to get home to see her mother before she has an operation. Forced to abandon her journey at a rest stop, Darby finds herself trapped with four people, and one or more of them is possibly a kidnapper.
A few pages in, the first in a series of nasty twists caught me completely off guard, and I could only watch helplessly as Darby starts to fight her way through this incredible story. The pressure was unbelievable, every time you think it cannot possibly get any worse, it does.
You can tell the author is a screenwriter, every scene is painfully real, dragging you along for the ride. I had snow on my face by page three and my fingers were icy cold. But the tension kept me reading until I reached the end!
Written like a blockbuster suspense movie, the end had me crying and cheering in equal measure. This was definitely the best book I’ve read in a very long time and I thank the author for this advance copy!

WATCHING YOU a gripping crime mystery full of dark secrets
WATCHING YOU a gripping crime mystery full of dark secrets

5.0 out of 5 stars well written detective story, 22 Jun. 2017
I have come to the Tyrone Swift stories without the benefit of having read his previous cases as a private eye, and I hoped this wouldn't spoil my enjoyment. I kept an open mind until I got to know him, and really enjoyed all of the characters.
I quickly discovered that Swift has a chequered past, revealing a complicated man, someone with an equally complicated relationship with his baby daughter’s mother, Ruth. I enjoyed discovering the way Swift thinks, systematically and logically, and quite early in the book, I found myself really liking him.
The case in Watching You, is one of Oscar Maddox, a missing child. A six month old baby who vanished two years previously. Mysterious and slightly malevolent emails begin to come from someone who seems to know far too much about the case. Fascinating in depth descriptions of the characters and their complicated mess of relationships.
There is an interesting analogy going on between the missing child and the problems around Swifts own baby, which made him more human somehow, and not just a detective.
I never realised before just how much good detective work relies on luck, asking the right questions and being in the right place at the right time. So many twists and turns in this well written story… keeping up was a full time job, but I thoroughly enjoyed the pace and the tension.
(thanks to the author and Joffe Books for my free review copy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16