Profile for Ms. A. Brooke > Reviews

Content by Ms. A. Brooke

Ms. A. Brooke (Godalming, Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sliver of Truth
Sliver of Truth

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great read, 17 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Sliver of Truth (Kindle Edition)
Not as good as the first in the series (Beautiful Lies) but still a page-turning read. This time the plot lines are rather over the top and distinctly dodgy on occasions which is a shame, and the ending is a let-down. However, it's still worth reading due to the strong voice and interesting life of the main character, Ridley Jones. Not sure I need a third in this series though ...

Beautiful Lies
Beautiful Lies

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 10 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Beautiful Lies (Kindle Edition)
Page turning read from a top class author of psychological suspense. I just couldn't put this one down and am already starting the next in the series. Ridley Jones is a fabulous and very sympathetic character, with a quirky view on the mysteries of her past and the terrors that surround her. Great stuff.

The Accidental Husband
The Accidental Husband

2.0 out of 5 stars Scrappy & cliched read, 29 Aug. 2017
I usually like Jane Green books, so this is a real let-down. The plot line is interesting enough, focusing on the two women and their families who are both affected by the bigamy of the husband in question. However, it's a very slow start to get to the point of revelation that we already know about, and after that it becomes rather scrappy and cliched. The highly improbable and very sweet ending set my teeth on edge - it's very Mills & Boon so I suggest you try another Green novel rather than this one!

Recipe for Scandal
Recipe for Scandal
by Debby Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars A real romance for grown-up people, 15 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Recipe for Scandal (Paperback)
This is a grown-up romance for real people and I loved it. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to as Holt has a particular liking for reported conversations - whereas I would have preferred to read the conversation directly as it took place. However, once I got used to that style quirk, I really did find this story gripping and very well done. All the characters were well-rounded and fascinating, and the main character, Alberta, is just delightful. There is wit, laughter and drama, all wrapped up in a deeply-felt story about family life. A total pleasure and I will be seeking out more of this author's work.

Remember Me?
Remember Me?

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and witty romance from the Queen of Romance, 7 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Remember Me? (Kindle Edition)
A bright, funny and witty romance from the Queen of Romance, this is a book to treasure. Lexi, the heroine, is sparky and interesting, and her journey to rediscover her memory and her love life is a page-turning one. I particularly loved her sister Amy and the adorably mysterious Jon. Great stuff, as ever!

The California Club
The California Club

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and shallow romance, 3 Aug. 2017
I've enjoyed Jones' other novels in the past, but sadly not this one. The plot is very weak, but not as weak as the heroine, Lara, and indeed the 'hero', Elliott. Both of them annoyed me very much and I suspect they probably deserve each other. I think the trouble is that the group of friends act and think like 18 year olds when they're supposed to be approaching 30. The one good thing about this book is the lovely Joel, whose character and story are so much more interesting than anything else that's going on. I do wish this book had been about him - it would have been a much better read.

The First Time I Saw Your Face
The First Time I Saw Your Face
by Hazel Osmond

2.0 out of 5 stars Mills & Boon-type romance with occasional good sections, 12 July 2017
This book has a good story line, but it's very overwritten. We are told the same things over and over again and it does get frustrating - I just wanted the story to move along but it didn't! There are a good 200 pages in the middle which could easily be cut in order to get a sharper more interesting romance. Just removing the very dull am dram sections would help - nobody can write good am dram in a novel, to my mind.

Things I liked about this book: the fact we get the view of both the man and the woman in the story, which is very refreshing. I also liked Cressida, the heroine's best friend, but we sadly don't get enough of her. Plus, every now and again, there was some top-notch and clear writing which should have been encouraged in the rest of the novel.

Things I didn't like: parts of the romance are horribly cliched (woman needing rescuing etc etc - deep sigh ...), and there are some terribly unrealistic scenes which I couldn't help but laugh at. For instance, what sort of journalist would refuse to see the evidence for a scandal before rushing off to 'save his family from it' (what nonsense!). Also the northern countryside folk are nothing but caricatures as, believe me, NONE of my northern relatives are anything like that.

All in all, it was all very 'Mills & Boon', but I think Osmond could write well more consistently across a novel if given the chance.

Lovesick
Lovesick

5.0 out of 5 stars Page-turning romance, 9 July 2017
This review is from: Lovesick (Kindle Edition)
I loved this emotionally-charged erotic short story - the growing relationship between the two men is great, and I found the plot line fascinating. The characterisations are spot-on, and the ending is fabulous.

While I Was Gone
While I Was Gone
by Sue Miller

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow but gripping story of a marriage, 2 July 2017
This review is from: While I Was Gone (Paperback)
A slow-burn book focusing on the intricacies of marriage and how moving on from a past trauma is never easy. I have to admit that I didn't warm to Jo Becker, the heroine, as I felt that her husband gets a raw deal in many ways. However, the beauty of the writing (as always with Miller) kept me engaged throughout, and the ending together with the understanding of what is lost and what might be gained in Jo's marriage is a tour-de-force.

Late Summer in the Vineyard
Late Summer in the Vineyard

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly average romance, 20 Jun. 2017
This is a distinctly average romance - nothing bad but also nothing really special about it. The best thing is the cover! It has all the romantic tropes you'd expect but written in a 'writing-by-numbers' style. The start is horrendously slow though it does get better once the wine making starts. All a bit obvious for my taste.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20