Profile for M. Erwin > Reviews

Content by M. Erwin

M. Erwin (Hereford, UK)

Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You
Soul Keeping: Caring For the Most Important Part of You

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for those who are busy in Christian work ..., 26 May 2016
Great book for those who are busy in Christian work and find 'stopping and being still' very difficult. I listened to this as an audio book, and then as a kindle book, so i could re-read key segments. I will return to this book often!

Terrapin - Nokia Lumia 930 Low Profile PU Leather Wallet Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster with Viewing Stand & Card Holders - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Nov. 2014
Great phone cover. Mine was for Nokia Lumina 930. Very pleased.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Case - MoKo Ultra Slim Lightweight Shell Stand Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 3 12 INCH Tablet, COFFEE
Offered by MoKoDirect EU

SainSonic Galilei Series Glasses for 3D DLP-Link Ready Optoma 3D-XL / HD300X / HD131X / Acer 5680 / H5360BD / LG PA70G / Viewsonic USB Black

4.0 out of 5 stars These are excellent. I didn't give them 5 stars because sometimes ..., 7 Nov. 2014
These are excellent. I didn't give them 5 stars because sometimes they flicker, which is resolved simply by restarting the projector - I'm just not sure if this is a glasses or projector problem.

God's Not Dead [DVD]
God's Not Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Sorbo Willie Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie. I highly recommend this for all ages, 7 Nov. 2014
This review is from: God's Not Dead [DVD] (DVD)
Great movie. I highly recommend this for all ages, but it makes a particularly great film for teenagers. My nine year old daughter told me recently that her favourite line is "How can you hate someone who doesn't exist!" Class...

Criticism? It is a bit 'Christian Hollywood.' The end seems a little contrived, but that is NOT the view of my kids!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 4:26 AM GMT

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House
by Kate Summerscale

3.0 out of 5 stars Be sure your sins..., 12 Nov. 2009
This is not the kind of book I usually read, but I really enjoyed it.As a parent, I found the horrific nature of the murder, with its family involvement, very disturbing.

I liked the mystery, "whodunnit" nature of this story, and Kate Summerscale did a great job at keeping my interest. The historical detail was superb, however at times bordered on overkill - sometimes I felt I was being told extra detail from the authors extensive research, simply because she had come across it, and wanted to make sure she mentioned it all. It was this extra detail that slowed the pace of the book, and either added, or detracted from the telling of the story depending on your view. For me, it slightly detracted.

The best thing about the story though, was the unproven, though very likely possibility that out of love, one family member took the 'rap' for the murder to protect another family member. My mind was twisting to understand how someone could murder a young child to get back at someone else.... then I remembered that it happens all the time today. What a crazy world where the once 'sensational' murders of the past, are today all too common, particular where men kill their children to get back at a partner!

The redemptive note for me came though, as I read about the way in which one family member flourished, because another payed the price of the crime....

"No-one has greater love than this: that a man would lay down his life for his friends!"

Playing for Pizza
Playing for Pizza
by John Grisham

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Pizza, 16 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Playing for Pizza (Paperback)
I read some of the reviews and wondered if they read the same book I did. I really enjoyed this book.

It helps to understand American Football (as opposed to the real thing), but better still is to have a love of Italy. This book displays a love of, and knowledge of Italy and Italian culture. At times I was lost in the Pizza Parlour, listening to excitable Italian voices, and thrilling to the warmth of Italian friends in my own memory.

My advice - go to Italy, fall in Love with all things Italian (which you will if you are breathing, upright and warm), and then read this book. Pizza and the NFL do mix - just look at the size of those Line Backers...

The Shack
The Shack
by William P. Young

4.0 out of 5 stars FIction - not systematic Theolgy, 3 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
It is a controversial book in a lot of ways, particularly in its depiction of God the Father appearing to Mack (the central character) as a black African-American woman.

"The Shack" is endorsed by leading evangelicals, including Eugene Peterson (The Message) and Michael W. Smith from the USA and the evangelist J. John in the UK. Equally, it has been derided as Heresy by others, including Mark Driscoll
What did I think of it? Well, at the risk of offending somebody - here goes....

Without giving the whole story away, the plot follows Mack, whose daugther Missy is abducted and murdered. For the following few years Mack is enveloped by "The Great Sadness." One cold winters morning he receives a letter from God inviting him back to the shack where his daughter is believed to have been murdered, though her body was never found. At the shack, Mack meets God - Father Son and Holy Spirit, and over the course of a weekend, his encounter with them transforms his life.

First - lets get the difficult and dodgy stuff out of the way. I found the depiction of the Father (Papa) as a black woman more than difficult to deal with. The first person of the Trinity is depicted throughout Scripture as a Father. In "The Shack", God explains that He is Spirit, and that any depiction of Him in human terms is purely for our benefit. In Scripture, there are ocassions where God shows clear 'feminine' characteristics, such as Jesus using the image of a mother Hen protecting her chicks, and defining his heart for Jerusalem in that picture. In the Old Testament, God is depicted as a mother desiring to breast feed and nourish her children. In Creation we read that God created Male and Female in His image. There is no doubt that it is the 2 together - Male and Female, that give completion to the image. God is neither Male nor Female, but Spirit. However, we have no Biblical mandate to present Him as a woman, and I found the image in the book deeply troubling.

Mark Driscoll's comments are interesting, and can be found on You Tube. However, having rewatched his comments after reading the book, I dont believe that he had read the book when he critiqued it. For example, he accuses the author of the heresy of 'modalism' (look it up - come on - do some of the work yourself!) He uses 1 quote to support this claim. The charge is not verified by a reading of the book.

The 1 other area that did trouble me though, was the possible suggestion of Universalism (that all will be saved whatever.) This is by no means explicit, but could be implied in a number of places. Particularly in one section where Jesus tells Mack that his followers come from all walks, races, political parties and religions - Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, etc. I re-read the section, and it seems to be deliberately ambiguous. Certainly people will follow Jesus from every tribe, people, tongue and nation, but they will have to come to Him as the only Saviour. The section in question has Mack mention about people being Christians, and Jesus responds "I never mentioned becoming a Christian!" It is deliberately ambiguous. However, the rest of the book seems to clearly suggest that if people want to know God, they must enter into a relationship with Him through Christ.

However (and you cant ignore the dodgy stuff - that's why I mention it), I was deeply moved by the book. I have no doubt that at times I had fresh insights into my relationship with God.

A couple of examples. Young's potrayal of "The Great Sadness" is just brilliant. Anyone who has had a deep sad, life changing (Life-numbing) experience will identify with it. His depiction of this cloak of despair is true to life, and many will see themselves in it.

The way in which Young deals with "The Great Sadness" is also brilliant. In a "Judgement" scene, God invites Mack to be Judge and Jury on his own children. He is told to choose 2 to go to Heaven and the others to destine to hell. He pleads with God "Let me take their place - let me go instead of them!"
"Now you sound like Jesus - you have Judged well" comes the reply!

In the book, there is also a wonderful depiction of Jesus at the centre of all things, with Creation and the redeemed gathering to worship Him. The scene that follows moved me to tears as Young writes... "Everything that had breath sang out a song of love and unending thankfulness. Tonight the universe was as it was intended!"

The last thing that I will mention is that the book deals as well as any (fictional book) with the issues of forgiveness and anger and bitterness. There is much Biblical wisdom in the way Mack is led to address the brokeness and pain in his own heart and family.

"The Shack" was a good read, moving, inspiring, and ultimately I would recommend it with the proviso that you read it as a piece of fiction, and not a systematic theology.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2016 2:48 PM BST

Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church (Leadership Network Innovation Series) (The Leadership Network Innovation Series)
by Mark Driscoll

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant, honest and Biblical, 8 Feb. 2008
This book has helped revive my commitment to church planting in the UK. The divide between those committed to cultural engagement, and those afraid of culture seems to grow, but Driscoll cuts right through it.

I can appreciate that some may find his style offensive, but I am fed up with bland Christian books, and this is certainly not Bland. Driscoll retells the story of Mars Hill Church, Seattle from beginning to today, warts and all. He is honest about his own failures and weaknesses, and those who find his humour too coarse, or are offended by it are missing the point.

This is not a "how to" book on church planting, or church growth. It is a testimony to Gods faithfulness. IT underlines with clarity the fact that we can hold firm to the Gospel, and be culturally relevant - this is not an option, it is a must. Read this book.