Profile for Jan Jack > Reviews

Content by Jan Jack

Jan Jack "Author of Animal Angst & Muffs Chuffs & Nonsense" (Hampshire, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3

It Just Came Floating By: Fleet Street A Photographer's Story
It Just Came Floating By: Fleet Street A Photographer's Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight into another world., 2 July 2014
Wow.

The stories this man has to tell are amazing. Absolutely fantastic to see things from the other side of the lens; the subterfuge that's involved and the interesting tales he tells about the famous.

You won't be able to put it down. And if you can persuade Harry into your event to give a presentation on his photos, don't miss the chance. I've seen him in action. Fascinating!!!!

Caroline
Caroline
by David Jacobs

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Caroline (Paperback)
Whoever told David Jacobs he should write this book deserves to have a skunk inserted somewhere wet and warm.
Self indulgent twaddle.

Lillian
Lillian
by David Emery

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a moving book, 29 July 2012
This review is from: Lillian (Paperback)
I read this book in my teens. I remember crying when I read it and it remained in my memory.

It's a superb book, compelling, but ultimately so sad. She was a special girl who had a special future lined up. This proves how cruel life can be.

I found the tributes from other athletes at the end of the book especially moving.

Sleep tight Lilian. You deserved far more of a chance.

Best Man Speech Ideas;The Practical Guide On How To Write A Best Man Speech, Funny Best Man Speeches, Best Man Speech Structure With Best Man Speech Examples

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, 20 Jun. 2012
I must admit I was expecting more from this. It's stuffed full of cliches and shows very little imagination. In fact...it's given me some wonderful ideas for a spoof speech, which I don't believe was the author's intention...

The Secrets to Writing Great Comedy: Teach Yourself
The Secrets to Writing Great Comedy: Teach Yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 20 Jun. 2012
I really loved this book and found it hard to put down. As a comedian/speaker I'm always looking for different ways to make things funny, and after reading this book for a few days I came up with a number of lines I can use. The brainstorming exercises are particularly good.

Stand-Up Put-Downs
Stand-Up Put-Downs
by Rufus Hound

5.0 out of 5 stars From a promoter's point of view, 16 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Stand-Up Put-Downs (Hardcover)
This is a cracking book. Some of these put downs are so imaginative; most are laugh out loud funny.

This book is of particular interest to me as I run a comedy club in Basingstoke; bringing in top end acts from all over the country. I therefore know many of the comedians quoted (which makes it even better).

Our audiences are great; we're rarely troubled by hecklers but as a promoter, if we are, I need to know that the comedian can handle it without problems. A little trawl through this book provides inspiration on every page.

Yes, some put downs are filthy, and some seem over the top. But sometimes, if you have a particularly anal heckler, nothing else will do...

It's a great present for a broad minded person. It's different...and hilarious. You do need put downs in all walks of life.....just be careful which ones you pick in the workplace. You will find gentle put downs in here too. Frank Skinner's response to "Didn't I meet you at medical school?" is just awe-inspiring (you'll have to read the book to see what it was!)

Really loved it. Looking forward to the next one! Hopefully there will be one?

Jan Jack

Bootstrap Marketing
Bootstrap Marketing

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, funny and easy to read, 12 April 2012
I really loved Mike Morrison's Bootstrap Marketing. It's in short chapters which makes it easy to just pick up and put down when convenient. Except..to be honest, it's not that easy to put down...you want to just keep on reading it.

Mike comes up with very simple but practical techniques that any small business will be able to apply. There's no Look-at-Me nonsense either...from the heart, straight to the page, down to earth advice from someone who obviously knows what he's on about and has a sense of humour too.

Buy it. It's a great investment. I can promise you that you will learn something you can use, that you'd never previously thought about.

Jane Austen, The Complete Novels - Unabridged (Complete Classics)
Jane Austen, The Complete Novels - Unabridged (Complete Classics)
by Jane Austen
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely collection, 22 Dec. 2010
I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, but have trouble with my eyes so too much reading, is out of the question. As a result I love Audio Books and these are a gem. With audio books the voice is so important and these readings are perfect. Lovely mellow tones fit beautifully with Austens subtle writing and wit and its just the perfect combination.

Relaxing and so enjoyable, I heartily recommend this product to anyone who loves Jane Austen, and anyone who wants to re-live their childhood by listening to someone reading out loud.

This product would definitely be my choice for taking with me to a deserted Island....

Get Off Your Arse
Get Off Your Arse
by Brad Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyes on stalks, 13 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Get Off Your Arse (Paperback)
I loved this book, with it's no-nonsense pack-a-punch style; filled with common sense ideas and sound advice that most people, I feel, would be able to relate to.

I couldn't put it down, it's absorbing and funny, and it certainly made me feel inspired. I changed some of my working practices purely down to the advice contained here, and it made me enjoy self employment more than previously. It certainly changed some of my attitudes.

If you like sophisticated management-speak you'll hate it. If you like no-nonsense, sensible advice with no woffle, then this one's for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3