Profile for metier > Reviews

metier

Page: 1 | 2
Sharp R270SLM 20ltr Solo Microwave Silver
Sharp R270SLM 20ltr Solo Microwave Silver
Offered by Atlantic Electrics Ltd sold as an Agent of Euronics Ltd (UK MAINLAND ONLY)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfied, 2 Oct. 2012
One of these bought in August 2010, has just stopped working.
I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected it to last more than 2 years.
The one it replaced cost about £120. Lasted nearly 10 years, when all microwaves were more expensive. That was much better value IMO.

Color Me Grey (The Alexis Stanton Chronicles Book 1)
Color Me Grey (The Alexis Stanton Chronicles Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your time on it., 6 Sept. 2012
Poorly written, and author appears to have little or no technical or mechanical knowledge.
We are told our 'heroine' swims to and boards a moving motor yacht at sea. Something that would be very difficult, but we are told that she merely boards via a swim platform at the stern. As if it would be as easy as that. Later after escaping in a motor dinghy and motoring to a rendevous with a helicopter, she jumps in the water to push the dinghy into position to pick up a line dropped from the helicopter so she can be hauled aboard, when the obvious and easiest way to perform such a manouvre is to simply motor into position.
There are many other examples that show how little the author knows about the subjects she/he is writing about.
On that basis I can't recommend this book to anyone.

In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)
In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much detail., 21 Dec. 2011
One of the few books I've been unable to finish. About quarter of way into the book I gave up. The excessive detail, described at length between relevant events in the storyline were too much for me.
I like a story to flow. In my opinion this one doesn't. It's broken up with too many tedious descriptive pages that add nothing to the story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2013 8:01 PM BST

The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1)
The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too unbelievable., 26 Oct. 2011
After reading reviews of 'The Kult' I expected more than I actually received.
I found The central character, Prosper Sbow, particularly annoying, being portrayed as virtually an emotional wreck. I just cannot believe anyone in his position would have all the reactions and thoughts expressed by the author, Gagging, vomiting etc.
Apart from that, many of the scenes were too far fetched to be believable. Some defying the laws of physics. The author appeared to be trying too hard to make them exciting. In my opinion all that did was to make them more absurd than they would otherwise have been. I think if the author had practiced a little more restraint with his descriptions it would have made a much better book
I did manage read it, but halfway through I could easily have given up.

The Golden Catch: A Thriller
The Golden Catch: A Thriller

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 8 Oct. 2011
Started quite well. but then got more unbelievable as the story progressed. Some of the actions described were simply ludicrous.

Lassoing the neck of a man peering down a shaft from the bottom, 12 foot down for one. Climbing along the tow rope between a fairly large ship and a deep sea fishing boat travelling at 18 knots for another. To say nothing about the fact that if it were possible, the tow rope would have to be extremely short and if that were the case the tow rope would either break or tear one of its attachment points off the deck. Whichever was the weakest

If they were the only examples of innadequate research they could be forgiven, but the latter half of the book is riddled with equally as ridiculous scenarios to the extent that for me it became quite hilarious.

It still surprises me that many writers don't appear to make any checks when writing about a subject that they know little about.

Overall for me it was a book with a good storyline, let down by poor knowledge of what is or is not credible, which is why, for me, it was a disappointment.

Guilty as Sin (Knight & Culverhouse Book 2)
Guilty as Sin (Knight & Culverhouse Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done better, 2 Jun. 2011
I had trouble reading this book. The plot was reasonable, but to me, the dialogue between the characters did not ring true at all.
The police cane across as being rather incompetent. They didn't ask obvious questions.

Two bodies were severely disfigured by the use of hydrachloric acid. To me, that immediately begs at least two question. Who would have access to that much acid? And, where did the perpetrator get it? It's not something that can be bought over the counter.
Those questions were not asked. The subject never even arose. It was given no more importance than if it been water rather than acid.

Going back to the dialogue. I thought it was rather wooden, it conveyed little in the way of personalising the main characters.
I finished the book as I was interested to see how it would end. It held my interest so from the authors point of view it was not a complete failure.

To sum up, The story was basically quite good. But, I think that if the author had spent a little more time researching police procedures, and made the dialogue more natural, it would have made a much better read.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2011 9:21 PM BST

Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon
Diary of the Displaced - Book 1 - The Journal of James Halldon

2.0 out of 5 stars poor story with no substance., 22 May 2011
I d/loaded and read this after seeing it had 5 star reviews.
I managed to finish it but didn't enjoy it at all. At the end I was left wondering what it was supposed to be about. I know fantasy requires the suspension of belief, but at the same time, within the story, there should be some sort of logic, if that makes sense.
There weren't even any irrational explanations of events. They were just presented to the reader, and then the story carried on. There were too many holes in the plot to make easy reading. Too many questions left unanswered. To me it was a nonsensical story about nonsensical events with an even more confusing ending.

Murderson (The Edmonton Police Station Thrillers Book 2)
Murderson (The Edmonton Police Station Thrillers Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite a dissapointment, 26 April 2011
Especially after reading all the favourable reviews, reading the book was a real letdown.

I did manage to finish it, but was sorely tempted to give up before I'd got half way.

I didn't find any of the characters very believable. Indeed one of the central characters, a policeman, a DCI Webb, came across as a complete fool.

The dissapointments didn't stop there. I was not impressed by the storyline either. An assumption in the book was that most serial killers can be predicted by their behaviour in their formative years is a bit too far fetched in my opinion. The story seemed altogether too contrived for it to be an enjoyable read.

The police didn't appear to do any detecting. They just seemed to make illogical assumptions, and then look for evidence to support them. At no time were they portrayed as checking whether the subject of their assunption was actually there at the right time and place. If it later turned out that they coudn't have been, one would think that their original assumption would be rejected, but apparently not. They would then assume that the subject must have had a partner.

Also one would expect simple spelling mistakes to be sorted. On a couple of occasions a car drew up wth 'a screech of breaks'. Makes me squirm whenever I see that. Not to mention that brakes seldom screech.
There were other mistakes as well. Another I recall was 'leaned' instead of 'lend'
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 6:08 AM GMT

When Darkness Falls: Free eBook Part 3
When Darkness Falls: Free eBook Part 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent. Get it while you can., 17 Mar. 2011
All the praise in previous reviews is well deserved. I read the complete book, parts 1, 2, and 3, at one sitting, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
A good story well written. Must be one of the best free e=books in it's genre available from Amazon at present.

A very minor criticism.
Why is the word 'service' printed as 'ser vice' all the way through the book.? Weird.

Uprising (The Fall of Haven Book 1)
Uprising (The Fall of Haven Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it, 13 Mar. 2011
A well paced story quite well written as far as it goes. Other reviewers have mentioned it had a number of typos. I'm obviously not as observant as I noticed very few.

But. As far as I can see, the fact that this is part 1 of a 2 part book is not mentioned anywhere, apart from at the end of 'Haven' when the author mentions that part 2 will be published around June of this year. An ommission that in my opinion should have been made clear in the 'Product Description'. If I had known that, I might still have bought the book, but I would have waited until I had part 2 before reading it.

On it's own. Haven is quite an enjoyable read. but it does leave the reader with many unanswered questions. Presumably those will be answered in June when part 2 is published

One thing I did notice however, was the consistant use of 'clamored' rather than 'clambered' As in "He clamored to his feet" I don't think it was a typo, as the same mistake occurs throughout the book. No less than 8 times in fact.

Didn't stop me enjoying the book, but it did jar a little, each time the word was mentioned.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2011 2:51 PM GMT