Profile for R. Greenham > Reviews

Content by R. Greenham

R. Greenham "StrangeNoise" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
WinHux® Telescopic Window Pole Rod Designed to Control VELUX® Skylight Roof Windows AND Blinds 1.2-3.0m SILVER

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it claims; doesn't handle awnings well. Blind-control more in the way than useful., 4 Aug. 2017
I actually bought this to try to control my velux external *awning* blinds, two of which had come adrift during recent high gusts of wind. Unfortunately, while I can easily *reach* it with this pole, I can't get a decent purchase with the hook attachment, and I actually came here to see if there were other attachments to buy that might do that job better. Apparently not.

This isn't a complaint or a poor review then, as they make no promises about being able to use this for the awnings. Just a note, for those that may come after looking for a solution to the same problem. I haven't solved it yet. Still working on it. I may actually end up deliberately breaking off the blind-control part (the bit sticking out behind the hook) as I don't really need that and it's in the way in trying to hook the awning's control bar.

But I suppose as I am writing a review I should check it works for the purpose for which I bought the 3m version - opening and closing a very high velux...

That works fine, both ways. Although once again the blind control fouls a bit on the Velux frame. Honestly I find even with the shorter Velux pole that the hook alone is perfectly sufficient to open and close the internal blinds I do have, so that blind-control protrusion does seem mostly to be just about getting in the way.

Monsters Attack Riesling 2014 Some Young Punks 10.9% 75cl
Monsters Attack Riesling 2014 Some Young Punks 10.9% 75cl

5.0 out of 5 stars the bottle I received didn't look like this. It had an almost *tastefully* black label, 2 Nov. 2016
As with another reviewer, the bottle I received didn't look like this. It had an almost *tastefully* black label, which just said "Monsters", "2014 Riesling". I don't know what this signifies.

But it's very nice. Very aromatic, very lovely riesling.

(Sorry the picture is on its side, it's correct on my end, but Amazon doesn't let me fix its idea of up and down.)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bosch IXO Vino Adapter (Corkscrew)
Bosch IXO Vino Adapter (Corkscrew)

3.0 out of 5 stars It removes the cork from the bottle OK. Then ..., 20 Jun. 2016
It removes the cork from the bottle OK. Then there's no way to get the cork out of the adapter.

I believe it's supposed to work by the adapter gripping the cork well enough that running the screw in reverse pulls it out. But it doesn't; cork and screw just spin uselessly inside the adapter.

Edit: As is absolutely typical when one dashes off an irate review; less than a minute later I sussed it. Pull the screw back far enough that the cork is fully visible in the 'window', then it's being gripped well enough that driving it backwards will pull the screw out of the cork.

Raising to three stars as a result. I may raise it to four later after trying it a second time knowing this.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed by lack of included batteries, 23 Jan. 2016
Further testing, and feline gratification, thus delayed until I can get some. This takes me back; I thought this wasn't allowed any more.

edit: Well, I finally got some batteries, and can report that it does work. My cat loves it! She can sit and watch it for hours! What, try to *catch* it? are you *insane?* 😀

In more seriousness, it might need an even-slower setting for old cats, as mine is 15 and one-eyed and probably never much of a hunter to begin with. So even on its slowest setting I think she finds it a bit intimidating.

But it works, and it holds her attention, so up to four stars. Really should include batteries in this day and age though; especially as it requires an odd number of them that you can't just get as a pack.

Endon Mother and child floor lamp with an Antique finish
Endon Mother and child floor lamp with an Antique finish
Offered by LightingUK

3.0 out of 5 stars The lamp itself is fine, I think, 5 April 2015
The lamp itself is fine, I think...

Unbelievably the R7s halogen bulb included for the top lamp has failed *already*, after about a fortnight. I was always planning to replace it with an LED equivalent, I just didn't expect to need to do so *quite* this soon. Assuming that is the nature of the fault and it's not that the lamp itself or its dimmer switch has failed, in which case I'll be seeking to return it...

Duronic Black 0.5m CAT6a FTP Professional Gold Headed Shielded Network Cable - High Speed 500MHz Premium Quality Cat6 / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my network!, 11 Nov. 2014
Instantly put my data transfer rates between machines on my home network up to a solid 1Gbit, where they should be. Two of these replaced two older - actually over 10years old - Cat5 cables of the same length (0.5m), with which I was getting very choppy transfer rates. Cat5, especially at this length, *ought* to be enough, and Cat6a of course is utterly overspecified for home networking, but I reckon I was suffering from fairly bad ambient interference issues, which these appear to have solved completely; and for the price, why not get something overspecified?

Oddly, offered as an add-on item, but for some reason shipped separately to the rest of the order, which is due to arrive this afternoon. (Including longer cables of the same type.)

Multi Function Laptop Desk (880) Adjustable height and angle
Multi Function Laptop Desk (880) Adjustable height and angle

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than it looks, 10 May 2012
The laptop used in the photo must be enormous. I should pay more attention to the actual listed dimensions next time. To give some idea, the smaller side-tabletop, used end-on, is comfortably large enough for a macbook air, leaving me slightly wondering what to do with the larger surface.

But that's not a criticism of the product, just a slight mismatch of expectations. The desk itself assembles reasonably easily with the tools provided and seems sturdy enough - there's some wobble in use but it doesn't seem to be from poor manufacture; rather just a feature of it being tall and thin.

Dell U2312 23 inch Widescreen IPS Panel LCD Monitor (bezel - grey/silver in colour)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrong model sent, 4 Jun. 2011
I ordered this yesterday and Amazon sent the U2311H-S. This is exactly the same monitor as the U2311H except it has a "silver" (really let's call it grey) bezel. ie: is not the model pictured here. This exact model isn't any longer listed on Dell's own website; I only know of it from its appearance on other retailers' sites. (Where it's usually listed at a slightly lower price than the U2311H.) So I wonder if this is a discontinued variant and I'm somewhat the victim of a push to clear old stock. Oddly the box it came in does say U2311H. The packaging seal wasn't broken, and the first time I noticed the wrong bezel was when I removed the protective sheet off the front of the screen; which was after it was all assembled and plugged in. So this may be Dell's bad rather than Amazon's. There's also a slight bowing-out of the monitor casing on the left side, which makes me wonder if the bezel has already been forced off once, which is a bit concerning, if purely a cosmetic concern. There's no other sign that this might not be a new monitor.

The ironic and especially annoying thing is that I'd originally bought the U2311H off another retailer (scan.co.uk), and got a faulty unit. They dealt with that fine except that it was taking a while for them to get new stock of the U2311H in to send me a replacement, so I went for the refund instead and ordered this. Only to get the U2311H-S which that unfortunate retailer actually did have in stock. (And btw, unlike Amazon - or Dell - did *not* try to fob me off with. If I *knew* the real choice was a silver one now or a black one at some later time, I might have accepted *their* silver one.)

I'd mind less but this was bought to be a pair for another U2311H I already own. But now they don't match. It also wouldn't match the dell soundbar (Dell AX510 Soundbar Sound bar speakers for Dell UltraSharp monitors with a power pass through connector, NEW , DELL Part Number: C729C , ( No AC Adapter Included )) which I might have decided to buy (already have one attached to the older unit).

Now I'm torn, because this unit does actually seem to work fine, and I'm fed up of waiting for a monitor I originally ordered weeks ago. It's acquiring the characteristics of a curse.

Anyway, so much for the shopping experience, though there may be more if I decide over the weekend to make a proper complaint. What about the actual monitor? Apart from being the wrong colour this unit seems to be in full working condition. So the review is in the main based on the experience I've had with the U2311H I've already had for a few months (also bought not here but from scan.co.uk). In brief, it's very good. I have after all, been trying to buy a second one for a dual-monitor setup, which may be comment enough.

Colour reproduction and viewing angles are as good as you should expect from the more expensive IPS panel over the cheaper TN panels of many other monitors. It does the job well without being flashy about it, which is what you want in a monitor.

It only has a 60Hz refresh rate, at least at the full 1920x1080 resolution, so video playback of 50Hz and 24Hz material will be a bit choppy, but this is in common with any computer monitor I think. If you want the fully variable refresh rates for video you buy a TV.

The stand is good and solid, allowing a good range of tilt and swivel and height adjustment, as well as the ability to rotate the whole screen easily to portrait mode (which I've only done to try it - I think that may be a better experience with 16:10 aspect ratio monitors, as with 16:9 ones, like this one, it just seems way too tall and thin). There's a gap in the stand through which you can pass cables. It also claims to allow VESA mounting instead, which now I have two I may be trying at some point.

The ability to attach a Dell soundbar underneath is quite tidy, though I wish the soundbar itself was a USB audio device rather than having a simple line cable, as there are handy USB sockets *right there* on the monitor, which could eliminate the need to string another cable to the computer. Also I had interference noise when using the line cable all the way to the computer, which were eliminated by instead using an iMic USB audio adapter. But these are probably comments to attach to the soundbar product, in fairness, though maybe it's useful to know now while you're looking at the monitor. I think in the end I prefer eg: the Asus UBoom-Q USB speaker (ASUS uBoom Q - 2.1-channel portable speaker - USB - 2.4 Watt (Total) - black) which doesn't actually attach to the monitor but does fit neatly underneath it on the monitor stand and needs only the USB lead into the socket on the monitor itself. And is a better sounding speaker unit.

The USB hub integrated into the monitor is useful in itself, and is one reason for choosing it. It is a powered hub, so it will happily drive, eg: USB speakers :-) and USB spinning hard drives.

Wonders of the Universe [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Wonders of the Universe [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Brian Cox

1.0 out of 5 stars No surround audio, 6 April 2011
Is this the first review of the actual product, as opposed to the programme as transmitted?

I actually got the Wonders Collection The Wonders Collection [Blu-ray] , including this and the Wonders of the Solar System but I have no reason to believe the constituent parts are different.

The Wonders of the Universe bluray has a plain stereo soundtrack only. No surround. This is a huge comedown from the Solar System release, which has DTS full surround. I presume they were just desperate to squeeze it all on one disc.

The programme was transmitted on BBC HD with a full surround track (albeit from episode 2 onwards with the background/music turned right down to pander to a few viewer complaints), so this is a very big disappointment.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2011 10:15 PM BST

The Wonders Collection [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Wonders Collection [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Brian Cox
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars No Surround on Wonders of the Universe, 6 April 2011
I expect this is in common with the separate Wonders of the Universe bluray release Wonders of the Universe [Blu-ray]. The Universe series is crammed onto one disc and has plain Dolby Digital *Stereo* sound, a huge comedown from the Solar System release, which has DTS full surround.

Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 10:23 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2