Profile for D. Winston > Reviews

Content by D. Winston

D. Winston (Co. Dublin, Ireland)

Overdrive
Overdrive

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Irish legend., 10 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Overdrive (Audio CD)
Louis and the band are fantastic on this cd. Hep Records are a wonderful Scottish label too. If you like this you will enjoy his latest release called Tunes, released in 2013 with his longtime friend, Jim Doherty.

Tunes CD 2013
Tunes CD 2013
Offered by msales-8

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album!, 4 May 2013
This review is from: Tunes CD 2013 (Audio CD)
For some reason Amazon don't list the titles so here you go:
1. It Could Happen To You
8. I Surrender Dear
9. I Wished On The Moon
10. What Is There To Say
11. My Heart Stood Still

This is an album full of wonderful music. The tracks are all instrumentals played by Louis Stewart, one of the world's finest jazz guitar players and his great friend and long time collaborator, pianist Jim Doherty. It features all jazz standards from The Great American Songbook.
Louis has worked with Benny Goodman, Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott and George Shearing. Jim has performed with hundreds of jazz performers including Gerry Mulligan and Ray Charles. Both musicians have regularly worked with Dublin jazz chanteuse Honor Heffernan. At a running time of over an hour you can put this album on, sit back and relax and be transported to another world. Excellent stuff!

Horslips: Live at the O2 (2010) (2 CDs)
Horslips: Live at the O2 (2010) (2 CDs)
Offered by mmglobal3

5.0 out of 5 stars Live at the O2 Dublin, 9 Dec. 2010
This a a two cd set of the complete Dublin show from 2009. What a wonderful collection of tracks! This just might go down as one of the greatest live albums by any Irish band. I must give a special mention to the set of songs which make up the "Book of Invasions". Also there's a classic version of "Furniture". Amazing stuff!

Guitar Man
Guitar Man

3.0 out of 5 stars 25 years on, 3 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Guitar Man (Audio CD)
I don't usually review albums on Amazon because it's easy to be too critical but on this occasion I have to comment on the lack of top musicians on this album. What in the world was JJ thinking ... playing all the instruments himself! One of the coolest things aboout most of his other albums was the fact that he has some of the finest musos in the world jamming along. While I commend Cale for being a multi-instrumentalist a lot of the songs on the album don't quite have the same groove as his earlier records. However, if you're like me and have most of his records then this is worth getting. It's a big improvement on Travel Log!

Travel-Log
Travel-Log

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to his usual standard, 3 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Travel-Log (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of JJ's and I'm slowly building up a collection of his albums, of which I think would be my 7th. However, to me this is a disjointed album, devoid of the warmth and grooves of his earlier material. To much reverb on his vocals at times and the drums are too loud. Very unusual.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 2:35 PM BST

The Best Of Cozy Powell
The Best Of Cozy Powell

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Remastering!, 25 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Best Of Cozy Powell (Audio CD)
This album landed on my doorstep yesterday and I returned it to Amazon today. There is a strange noise on all tracks which I cannot believe was on the original master tapes. If that is the case then this 'Original Recording Remastered" has a major problem! It is possible that the noise is a by-product of some mastering engineer trying too hard to clean up the old tapes.
I would advise against buying this album just because of this. If I could get hold of an earlier version however, I would still like to have a copy.