Profile for Florabritannica > Reviews

Content by Florabritannica

Florabritannica (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Anker SoundCore Portable Bluetooth 4.0 Stereo Speaker with 24-Hour Playtime, 6W Dual-Driver, Low Harmonic Distortion, Patented Bass Port and Built-in Microphone for Calls for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Samsung, Echo, LG and others
Offered by AnkerDirect

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but thin mid-range sound, 26 April 2016
Good volume over all, impressive bass, good top notes, thin on the mid range. OK for voice, probably OK for certain types of music (like rock that's heavy on the bass but has little in the way of strings or voice in the middle), not good for what I wanted, it just sort of made the things I listen to sound hollowed out. Seemed a robust build, would look at the brand again certainly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2016 8:21 AM BST

Bluetooth Headphones COULAX Bluetooth V4.1 Wireless Sweatproof Running Earbuds Over-Ear Stereo Headset with Mic for iPhone 6s Plus Samsung S7/Galaxy and Android Phone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good batery life, good range, not my perfect fit, 26 April 2016
The image is deceptive: the wire is a stiffer coil than it indicates, which means it curls around the back of the neck rather than lying against it. Which is mostly fine but if you have longer hair and a pony tail can mean adjusting, and twiddling them to get them facing the right way to be in your ears can be fun. Happy with the battery life and with my hone they have good range, better than other bluetooth headphones I have (mileage varies, as they say, with not only walls but your phone, so I can only say, comparatively, I'm impressed with the distance). My one docked point is because they seem to need to be pulled back out of my ear canal a little after putting in to get the best sound, whereas I tend to want to push earbuds in snugly. So they feel a little un-firm to me, though they have never fallen out, and I'm happy enough. I have a bag full of tips to swap on and off headphones, but none seem to make these perfect. Still, pretty good

Spare Or Replacement Multi Function Pull Out Spout Head For A Kitchen Sink Mixer Tap
Offered by MGM TAPS

5.0 out of 5 stars certainly good quality at the price, 26 April 2016
Fits, certainly good quality at the price, will see how the surface lasts, but MOST importantly, unlike the original head on the tap, this reverts from spray to central flow when the tap is turned off. Reliably. It sometimes drips briefly after the tap is turned off, which might make you think there's something wrong with the tap, but it stops after some seconds, it's just that it holds the last bit of water in the head briefly. No problem once you know.

Panti Bliss: The Queen of Ireland [DVD] [2015]
Panti Bliss: The Queen of Ireland [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Conor Horgan
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars As uplifting as a pair of six inch heels, 26 April 2016
Saw this at a film club in Ireland, bought it to share with anyone who'd watch it when I came back. I can see why Horgan started recording this well before Panti became the political icon she has in the last couple of years: Rory O'Neill is not just someone well placed to tell the story of Ireland's social changes from the inside as a gay man and self-described six-foot cartoon woman, but as a narrator is also particularly engaging, funny, intelligent, smart, articulate - no, actually eloquent, which is rarer - a gift to a film maker. Go to YouTube, watch Panti's Noble Call at the Abbey (dear lord, no script, quite apart from the content it's just so impressive in structure and pace as a piece of rhetoric) or her TED talk, and ask yourself if you would like to watch a well-made biopic about that person, how they ended up on that stage, and what happened next. Everyone I've shown it to has enjoyed it, and at least one supercool teenager sniffled audibly at the end. Oh, and the dresses are gorgeous.

[16 LED Upgraded Version] Solar Light, VicTsing 4PCS 16 LED 320 Lumens Bright Outdoor Solar Powered Motion Sensor LED Light/ Wall Light/ Security Lighting

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective for safety/courtesy lighting, so far so good, 26 April 2016
So far, so good, had them up about a week, it's a simple two screws fixing into a post or wall. It's April in the southwest of England, they are facing SW, one is a bit obstructed by trees nearby so gets daylight but less direct sun than the others. They come on to the background "dim" setting before nine, at twilight, brighten for a period when activated by the sensor as promised, and are still shining the same on the background setting at about midnight. How long they stay on after that I don't know, so I don't know if they will give me a very long evening of light in winter. But they behaved like this the first day that I put them up, which was late in the afternoon, and the one with the trees in the way seems to be lasting as well as the others at night, so I am optimistic that the solar cell will be up to the job all year.

As to the light levels, if you're looking for something very bright with a very wide reach, like a deterrent/security floodlight, these (or any other LED solar light) probably aren't for you, but that's the exact opposite of what I wanted, I was after a courtesy/safety light. The "dim" setting alone is plenty bright enough for what I want, which is simply to show a step clearly, and you also could get a key into a door by that light alone, but they also brighten a lot when activated by the sensor, and I mounted them about waist height because on the sensor-activated level they were bright enough that I didn't really want them at eye height. It's a cold, moonlight kind of light, typical of LEDs, and pointing down, with LEDs being pretty directional, the light stays "local" if you know what I mean, it will pool on your doorstep or path, not spread over the whole garden and beyond. So living in the country, I feel these on the background setting aren't making problematic light pollution, and I'm very pleased.

BAKTH 5000mAh Power Bank - Portable Premium Ultra Slim Fast Charging Ultra-Compact Backup Phone Charger External Battery for iPhone 6S, 6, 6 Plus, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, HTC and More Devices (Black)
Offered by BAKTH LTD.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was less reliable in my bag - the torch function IS too easily activated by a press to the power button, 12 Jan. 2016
Firstly - and it is the first thing that strikes you - this is a gorgeous battery pack. Silly, but everyone who saw it said something along the lines of "that's gorgeous" or "want". Something about sleek black brushed surfaces, the feel of it - it is a lovely piece of design.
Substantial charge which transferred to the phone in what seemed to me a reasonable time - I didn't time it, but I didn't find myself looking at it impatiently and seeing no move. It does take a while to charge up fully from flat itself, don't expect to do that in a hurry. But it holds charge really well, I've had it in a drawer for weeks and it's still been full of juice.
It was less reliable in my bag - the torch function IS too easily activated by a press to the power button, a flaw others have mentioned, which loses it a star. I remedied this by building up a little barrier around it with a small amount of black Sugru when using a pack for another job (if you haven't discovered that stuff, it's great, perfect for tweaks like this) and now all is well and it never switches the torch on by accident. Yeah, it spoils the perfect symmetry a bit, but I got the surface smooth enough that I'm OK with it aesthetically. The problem could be remedied by recessing the button more in the initial design or by a modification like I did or just not having a torch function - since the phone you would be using this to power usually has a flash and a torch setting, I don't see why it's on there, really.

FURminator Long Hair DeShedding Tool for Small Cats
FURminator Long Hair DeShedding Tool for Small Cats

4.0 out of 5 stars It works great on the one with the soft, 12 Jan. 2016
I have two cats, both shorthaired moggies, both indoor-outdoor, and littermates but with very different coats.
It works great on the one with the soft, silkier coat, which is, fortunately, the one that sheds like fur was going out of fashion. And she doesn't mind me using it for a while, certainly along the back and flanks, less happy on the hindquarters, shoulder, or belly. It pulls out masses of fluffy stuff with no apparent change to what's left on her, which is weird, but it reduces what's left on my cushions.
It doesn't work at all on the other cat, who has a dense, plushy coat with a thick, woolly undercoat. It just can't get in to that undercoat. And he hates it, probably because it was a real faff trying to use it. I have given up and on him continue to use a currycomb-like thing with more widely-spaced, bent "pins", which seems to work better on that kind of dense pile. He tolerates that better too.
So, I would say this works variably, depending on the coat, and a finer less dense coat is likely to be a good candidate - fortunately that includes most of the longhaired cats that are the most irritating shedders. I guess oyu can't expect the same brush to work on all different coat types.

Omron M3 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron M3 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Offered by Miller Medical Supplies

1.0 out of 5 stars One person only, 12 Jan. 2016
Returned. It cannot actually store two people's profiles, although the description seems to imply it can store a lot, all it means is a record of readings to compare across one profile. The previous, cheaper monitor we had from a supermarket (a wrist one, not as good a place to read as the upper arm, hence the attempt to upgrade) could store multiple readings that way over two profiles, it's purely a matter of the software on the chip, and pretty bad that something of this price from a mainstream name was so limited. So, maybe fine if there's only one of you, anyone wanting it for more than one person in a household needs to look elsewhere.

Fytto 1067 Knee High Compression Socks for Men, Circulator Graduated Compression (15-20mmHg), Travel & Flight, Anti-Swelling & Varicose Veins Socks
Offered by Comfytopia

3.0 out of 5 stars The elastic around the top is so tight as to ..., 12 Jan. 2016
The elastic around the top is so tight as to be actually counterproductive, I got a trench from it and puffiness below. This seems to be common to support socks. I have an overlocker, so I took off the top and finished the raw edge just below with that - I guess you could also do that with an ordinary zig zag stitch. They stay up just as well thus modified, so I don't know why the top elastic is so tight in the first place.

Bonxie Unplucked EP
Bonxie Unplucked EP

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice supplement to the album, 12 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Bonxie Unplucked EP (Audio CD)
Nice supplement to the album, Stornoway's habit of playing some songs unplugged (and the quality of fans that let them do that in quite large or crowded venues, ie everyone SHUTS UP AND LISTENS) is one of the joys of seeing them live. Great to have it on disc too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4