Profile for RH > Reviews

RH (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Katie in Love
Katie in Love

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a book that lives up the hype that it seems to have had and won't disappoint you., 26 April 2016
This review is from: Katie in Love (Kindle Edition)
This book is intended for women readers but I decided to take the plunge when a friend raved about it and got me rather intrigued. I found it very well written, and the portrayal of the characters very strong. Some of it is racy and arousing. Sometimes quite touching and quite moving, this is a book that lives up the hype that it seems to have had and won't disappoint you.

Notes From a Very Small Island
Notes From a Very Small Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written in prose that I will remember, 25 April 2016
I bought this book thinking it would be a travel book to a part of the Adriatic that has long drawn me, and which I was hoping to visit soon. But I found this much more than a guide book- although it does tell you much about the Croatian island of Vis. It is a touching and fascinating read about the choices that we all have in life- the two main characters decide to leave their homeland to start a new life abroad- and we share and sympathise with their predicament, and we are left wondering what we could or should make of our own lives. Reading about their experiences was a lovely escapism but also made me ponder and delve about our expectations of life and the reality- and about the difference between how others see us and what we really our. Beautifully written in prose that I will remember. Lovely book.

makes you forget about the rest of the world

Why Was Queen Victoria Such a Prude?: ...and other historical myths and follies
Why Was Queen Victoria Such a Prude?: ...and other historical myths and follies

5.0 out of 5 stars The author seems to have quite astonishing knowledge of just about everything- an amazing range- as well as an ability to tell y, 25 April 2016
This is a really fascinating collection. The author seems to have quite astonishing knowledge of just about everything- an amazing range- as well as an ability to tell you stories and trivia in a truly engaging way. It is a very easy book to read and dip into, and one that anyone can read. Great stuff- and I really enjoyed it.

The M Room: Secret Listeners who Bugged the Nazis
The M Room: Secret Listeners who Bugged the Nazis

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff. A real pager-turner, 25 April 2016
Amazing stuff. A real pager-turner, full of characters and insights and extraordinary locations. I found this a very novel angle on World War 2, and so refreshingly different from the ones I'd previously come across. Deserves to be very widely read.

999 CSI: Blood, Threats and Fears
999 CSI: Blood, Threats and Fears

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very fast-paced and quite gripping read- a ..., 25 April 2016
This is a very fast-paced and quite gripping read- a series of adventures and insights about some truly extraordinary incidents. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading it, wondering if the some of stories might be a bit unsettling. But once I started I found it very hard to put down. Fascinating.

Chink: A biography
Chink: A biography

5.0 out of 5 stars A friend recommended this book to me and I wasn't disappointed, 25 April 2016
A friend recommended this book to me and I wasn't disappointed. I'm interested in military history and found the story of 'Chink' and his war service, particularly the people he met, truly enthralling. The author has some really excellent and interesting insights in Chink's mind and the military/ WW2 mindset in general. I found this book hard to put down. Fascinating stuff.

The House on the Chine: Robert Louis Stevenson at Skerryvore
The House on the Chine: Robert Louis Stevenson at Skerryvore

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautifully written and really interesting blend of fact and fiction, 22 April 2016
This is a beautifully written and really interesting blend of fact and fiction. The author really knows her subject- RLS- and has produced some deep insights into his mindset as she ponders the great literary mystery- why he so suddenly and dramatically changed literary direction. So you can read this on three levels- as a work of psychology; as a book about RLS, or just a really interesting work of fiction. It has the lot. Great stuff.

The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an Eighteenth-century Ship and Its Cargo of Female Convicts
by Sian Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing story, brilliantly told, 22 April 2016
This is an amazing story, brilliantly told. The horrors of what happened are shocking and the stories of the women appalling. But it is social history at its best- fascinating and moving.

Wings of Ice: The Riddle of the Polar Air Race
Wings of Ice: The Riddle of the Polar Air Race

5.0 out of 5 stars I found it very easy to read and fascinating, 22 April 2016
I bought this book without knowing anything about the subject. I found it very easy to read and fascinating. The author brings the story of polar explorers to life in a vivid and gripping way. Sometimes there is a lot of detail to absorb but this doesn't detract from the quality of the story and the way it is told. Really excellent stuff.

War for Africa: 12 Months That Transformed a Continent
War for Africa: 12 Months That Transformed a Continent
by Fred Bridgland

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class, 10 Jun. 2011
This is a superb history of the 'War for Africa' 1987-89. The story is in itself very important, because it was instrumental in determining not just the future of Southern Africa - apartheid in particular- but in Cold War relations in general. Bridgland does it brilliantly, with a gripping text full of human character, vivid descriptions of places, situations and people. It is not a blow by blow account, although the author does interweave all the right amount of detail with the human element. Photos and illustrations add a lot to the text. All in all,a brilliant account of the conflict.

Page: 1 | 2