Profile for T. Smith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
STAR SPANGLED SPRINGER
STAR SPANGLED SPRINGER

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic opener, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: STAR SPANGLED SPRINGER (Audio CD)
A classic song and performance to lead the album and some really good tracks to follow. Not quite perhaps the undiscovered classic I was hoping for but with the Phil Everly voice and top-notch musicians it is never less than enjoyable. Really good remastering too on my system.

Coast to Coast Fever
Coast to Coast Fever

5.0 out of 5 stars Coast to coast excellence, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Coast to Coast Fever (Audio CD)
Having heard a David Wiffen song by chance a couple of years ago I bought the first album. I liked it a lot and didn't particularly agree with some of the more critical revues posted - the opening track, One Step, carried the day for me. This second album is exactly as other reviews have suggested, it's superb and, I'd say, far superior to the earlier one. Better production, more cohesive and excellent performances. What a marvellous discovery and kudos to all those fans who have known and loved Mr Wiffen's music for far longer than I have.

Zabadak!
Zabadak!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality alert!, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Zabadak! (MP3 Download)
Had heard the song on a recent tv programme. The song is rather interesting but this download version is unlistenable, especially on headphones - and I don't exaggerate. In need of a major remaster to do the band justice.

Radio Jellyfish [VINYL]
Radio Jellyfish [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, you need to get it!, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Radio Jellyfish [VINYL] (Vinyl)
How superb that we keep getting (largely) new Jellyfish releases to keep us satisfied until that glorious moment when they all get back around a mic to sing RJM's "You Were Right" (without any irony!) and create/tour/record/love again. This album sounds excellent and maintains the quality of the rest of their catalogue. It contains acoustic versions of the listed songs with guitars, a "piano" and some percussion. The vocals - and the harmonies - are great, freed up by the overall lack of instrumentation. The recordings come from live sessions made in either Holland or Australia. you can tell that I Can Hear The Grass Grow and Joining A Fan Club are from a different session to the others but not to the extent that it makes them any less listenable. There are marvellous moments when the live element of the performances conjures up something magical. What they do with The Man I Used To Be is just wonderful. Don't have any doubts about getting hold of this album - you can't be a fan of this sublime band and not love what you hear. One final point. I bought the vinyl version and it doesn't include a download code for a digital copy, so be aware.

Solid State Warrior
Solid State Warrior
Offered by Soundstation

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime Superb Wonderful, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Solid State Warrior (Audio CD)
I ended up getting this album from Japan via America - and paid a fair few yen in the process - but it was absolutely, without doubt worth it. Why aren't there countless hundreds of droolingly ecstatic reviews for RJM and Jellyfish albums on Amazon? I've just finished listening to the entire cd again and the last track has brought tears to my eyes. The writing throughout is so full of love, enlightenment and musical genius that I'd say it's impossible not to like. Those awesome harmonies, the classic yet unusual melody lines, the lush arrangements. It connects in a way that a good and trusted friend does. I just want more. I want there to be a new RJM (or Andy Sturmer, please!) album ready for me to buy to get the next installment of perfection. When I mention individual tracks it isn't because they make the others less excellent but I have to express hearty appreciation for "What You Don't Know About The Girl" simply because it's like a lost Partridge Family gem. I have broad musical tastes but the one - i hope - defining quality of my enjoyment is for songs that sound like they're too good to have been created by mere mortals. In my book Roger Joseph Manning Jr (and the entire Jellyfish clan) are no mere mortals. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of Radio Jellyfish - on vinyl!

Catnip Dynamite
Catnip Dynamite

5.0 out of 5 stars Overflowing with Quality, 17 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Catnip Dynamite (Audio CD)
I enjoy inventive and slightly eccentric music and I like melody-writers who catch the ear in the inspired way that, say, Brian Wilson or Elliott Smith or Harry Nilsson do. This music does all that (but it does so without the background melancholy in their work). I'd have to say at the outset that RJM Jr has not, in one sense, produced a cutting edge cd here as there are no up-to-the-minute references. But it IS creativity of the highest order which means that it doesn't need to bother with being of a certain time. Roger Manning has transcended such superficialities and you hear in his music that he is interested only in his own agenda. Consequently, his songs give you great verses and uplifting choruses and then he'll add some more delightful twists and change the tempo and layer superb harmonies - and do it again and again! There isn't a song on the album that I don't love. Tinsel Town is wonderful, but it's not alone. Buy this.

Bing & Satchmo (180g) [VINYL]
Bing & Satchmo (180g) [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album - vinyl version, 13 Aug. 2013
I remember my dad having this album on vinyl and enjoying listening to it on repeated plays. It is a sublime and essential combination of the talents of the two vocalists, the arrangements of Billy May and the lyrical savvy of Johnny Mercer. When it was reissued on CD recently I happily bought it and now that the album has been remastered for vinyl release I've got that too. Having compared the old record - which I still have - with the new version it is interesting to note the contrasting sound quality. The new vinyl is louder and crisper but lacks some of the analogue warmth of the original pressing and has a certain harshness in consequence. This doesn't mean that it isn't worth buying and I accept that it's unrealistic to expect a digital remaster to retain all the breadth of signal that older pressings exhibit. 4/5 reflects a minor disappointment on the technical side, definitely not on the content which cannot be bettered.

Stack-A-Tracks
Stack-A-Tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stack-A-Delights, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Stack-A-Tracks (Audio CD)
Just spent an afternoon playing this again and again. You get two cds, one for each album. They don't include any pre-track counts or studio chatter, neither do the tracks run on beyond what you're used to from knowing the respective albums. Should you buy it? I debated that and I'm so happy that I did. Obviously you'll need to be familiar with the "sung" versions but there's so much to enjoy. Instrumental parts that weren't apparent in the final mixes, lovely dynamics that again go missing when vocals are overlaid. You also get the occasional background vocal that was - I'm presuming - bounced down to the master backing tracks. The liner notes state that these are straight transfers from those 1/4 inch masters "left untouched for decades". There's no re-mastering here and although I'd love to hear all the Jellyfish stuff remastered it isn't an issue with these cds. If you're a musician you'll appreciate the attention to detail in the arrangements - and the tight playing - and if you aren't you'll marvel at how much is going on. Whoever you are, as long as you're a Jellyfish fan (and even if you aren't) you should really buy this!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 7:02 PM GMT

Live at Bogart's 1991
Live at Bogart's 1991

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd Been There!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Live at Bogart's 1991 (Audio CD)
Oh man! As a long-time lover of the music of Jellyfish - I'm one of the crowd that nods along when anyone writes about how they should have been huge etc - I ordered this as soon as I realised it existed. It is superb. It is wonderful. They are incredible. The recording let's you feel that you're there with the intimate between-song crowd and room ambience. I love the way the band links the songs and on occasion runs from one straight into another. The musicianship is excellent and the recording to me lacks nothing for there only being the four of them playing. I Wanna Stay Home stands out, possibly because it could so easily (in lesser hands) have sounded relatively lightweight next to the more rock-out numbers. It doesn't, it sounds sublime, and left me with tears in my eyes. I realise that I'm not saying anything that hasn't been laid out in other reviews but I just wanted to reiterate what everyone thinks... Jellyfish, the best band in the world - every box ticked, every appetite sated. Brilliant!

Greatest Hits [VINYL]
Greatest Hits [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy vinyl bliss, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I bought this album as a direct result of the reviews posted, so thanks for the info. It sounds superb. The songs are so familiar but it's truly special to hear them from that most keen and magical interaction of needle to groove. Also - as stated elsewhere - the version of "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" is the best but rarely used one. It's got the faint almost mumbled "Oh Girl" ad libs in the instrumental section and other great bits of captured vocal overdub background when, if you listen carefully, you can hear them preparing the harmony note they're about to sing. Weird cover, great product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4