Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "phyrbyrd"

Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ3EB-T Compact Camera - Brown (16.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom with Leica DC Lens, 25mm Wide Angle Lens, HD Video Recording) 2.7 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 1 April 2014
It does its job, I suppose, but I needed it to take close-up photos of minatures for my blog, and it has no macro mode, which means it's not really doing the job for me.

momoko DOLL - North Wind & Viola
momoko DOLL - North Wind & Viola
Offered by Fast Japan eu

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely doll, lovely clothes, lovely snack!, 1 April 2014
My Momoko doll arrived promptly - and the sender put a Japanese snack bar in the box with her, so that was very sweet!
She was very easy to get out of the box, no annoying plastic ties going into her head or anything, just three wire ties holding her to the backing. Such a relief, although she did come wrapped in cling film under her clothes to stop them staining her.
Photos really don't do her justice. She has such a sweet, subtle face paint and the photo makes it look plain. Her hair is a little coarse, but not unpleasantly so, and it falls nicely. She makes every other doll I own look either cartoony or cheap or both. I thought her shoes would be plain white moulded plastic boots, but they're cream and white 'Converse', and the detail is incredible.
Her coat is not lined, but the buttons are real (they don't do up but they're real buttons as opposed to colour circles) and all her jeans pockets are real pockets that she can put her hand in.
She's fully articulated and very poseable, and is the only doll I own who stands on her own in her bare feet OR in her shoes.
I have wanted one of these dolls for a while. This doll has not let me down.

J-Doll - Old Arbat
J-Doll - Old Arbat

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived promptly, very pretty, only a few minor hiccups, 1 April 2014
This review is from: J-Doll - Old Arbat (Toy)
This doll arrived well within schedule and when I took her out of the box (which was a task and a half, she was rather too well fastened in), I was immediately struck by how pretty she was. Photos do not do her justice at all.
She has the #3 Pullip body, which is extremely well articulated but is already showing hairline cracks at the wrists. This is a known problem and probably one reason why they stopped using that body.
Her hair is soft and tangle-free, but a little flyaway and inclined to static. I had to braid it back so that it doesn't get into everything.
Her clothes are just lovely. The jacket and waistcoat are fully lined, the bag opens and can hold things and everything is beautifully made. One of her shoes had a bent heel, but it was easily fixed with hot water.
On the whole I'm very happy with this doll.

Tottie: The story of a doll's house
Tottie: The story of a doll's house
by Rumer Godden
Edition: Unknown Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale to make you careful of your dolls..., 15 Aug. 2004
I got this book a long time ago, when I still had dolls and before I had doll's houses, and even then it made me think. It's old-fashioned and emotional and just a little bit sinister, and together with 'The Velveteen Rabbit', which also had the message that toys could think and feel, it made me absolutely terrified of hurting my toys.
The story goes that a couple of little girls inherit an antique doll's house, and of course their dolls are delighted. It's derelict, so the girls do it up, and to help with the cost they rent Tottie, who is also an antique, to a museum for a while. And in the process this uncovers Marchpane, also part of the inheritance. Marchpane is a beautiful china doll and she is out to ruin it for all the others.
And you will get no more from me, except this: be careful of reading this to impressionable kids. You might make them think their toys will rise up and get them.

Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK
Crap Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK
by Sam Jordison

2.0 out of 5 stars Borrow it. Don't buy it., 15 Aug. 2004
Read it once and it's funny. Read it twice and it's tolerable. The third time it's vaguely boring, which is why it's best to let a friend buy it and borrow it from them rather than give up valuable bookshelf space to something you'll read only once.
I've been to only a few places in this book and I have to say I like Manchester. Why Burnley and Nelson aren't there is a complete mystery to me, though, since if you nuked Burnley it's possible nobody would notice.
Soo... It's got lots of pictures, it's got gaps, and it's got mistakes, and it's got towns that people could argue about for days. It's not a bad book. But get it from the library or something, and spend your money on something more durable.

Absolutely Typical Too: More Social Stereotypes from the "Telegraph Magazine"
Absolutely Typical Too: More Social Stereotypes from the "Telegraph Magazine"
by Victoria Mather

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Typical of the Telegraph, 15 Aug. 2004
Yes, the pictures are funny. Yes, the social stereotypes are recogniseable and oh, yes, extremely funny too - but oh, you can tell what newspaper they come from. For this only illustrates one section of society: the section which is absolutely stinking rich or those who work for them. Nobody I know 'does the season'. My stepmother decorates her own Christmas tree and I don't know a single couple who could afford to honeymoon in a whole shooting lodge.
We have the Trainer, the Wine Buff, the Schoolboy Activist (whose parents have just bought a 'plump Oxfordshire estate'), the Weekenders and the Tory Back-Bencher.
It might be Absolutely Typical, but it's typical only of a very small and priveleged section of society stereotypes indeed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 11:36 AM BST