Profile for Scott W > Reviews

Content by Scott W

Scott W

REALMAX® Car Music FM Transmitter universally compatible with all Brand mobiles MP3 Players Tablets & all car models (Green Model2)
Offered by Discount4Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars If only this unit was as good as the seller..., 11 Sept. 2015
For the price, this does a pretty good job. However, at times reception is pretty poor and your enjoyment is spoiled by interference behind the music. I've tried a number of different frequencies to counter this. That's why I'm giving it just 3/5.

I wanted to mention that the seller is excellent. They despatched my order as soon as I made it and I received the item less than 24 hours later.

Grey Wolf: The Escape of Adolf Hitler
Grey Wolf: The Escape of Adolf Hitler
by Simon Dunstan

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting theory but far too long and a little bit boring..., 6 Aug. 2014
While I've always liked a good conspiracy theory, I struggled to stick with this book.

The authors strive to demonstrate their prowess by front loading about three quarters - and I'm being quite generous - of it with a lot of information (some of which is unnecessary) about the second world war. Half way through it I found myself thinking, great but get to the bloody point!

When we eventually do get to 'Hitler's escape' there's very little on it - and even less on his time in Argentina. There's LOTS of speculation, hearsay and second hand accounts - but even photostats from the FBI files don’t provide any real quantifiable evidence. A lot of it's nonsense to be quite honest.

All in all Grey Wolf puts forward an interesting, half-believable theory that Hitler and his cronies escaped to South America in 1945. Sadly the concept is a tad over-egged and at best warrants a double page spread in a newspaper or magazine - NOT a book of this length.

Mr. Mojo Risin' (Ain't Dead)
Mr. Mojo Risin' (Ain't Dead)
by Ron Clooney

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Mojo Risin Might Not Be Dead..., 21 Dec. 2012
Having read almost all of the books about Jim Morrison, I must say that this is one of the most enjoyable books I have read on the subject.

While this book is filed in the 'Non-fiction' section, the author makes some interesting observations and puts forward some reasonable theories about what might have happened both leading up to and following Morrison's strange death. They're as plausible as anything Sugarman, Hopkins and Manzarek have written and perhaps more balanced!

Regardless of what your views are (and you might think this book is a work of complete fantasy) this is a must read for any Doors fan. Clooney knows his stuff about the band and writes in an honest style which is easy and enjoyable to read. If you're new to the Doors I would probably recommend you read John Densmore's Riders on the Storm first - but this is a great book with an unusual and refreshing approach to one of the most compelling mysteries in the history of rock 'n' roll.

When You're Strange [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]
When You're Strange [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Any Doors Fan..., 9 Jan. 2012
'When You're Strange - a film about the Doors' is a must for any Doors fan.

It's brilliantly narrated by Depp and some of the visuals (particularly the material from HWY) look absolutely fantastic. I thought that there might have been interviews with the surviving band members but I guess we would have heard a lot of it before anyway.

I'd certainly recommend it.

Johnny Marr: "The Smiths" and the Art of Gun-Slinging
Johnny Marr: "The Smiths" and the Art of Gun-Slinging
by Richard Carman

2.0 out of 5 stars You May Have Heard This One Before..., 3 Jan. 2012
Firstly full credit to the author for putting a book together on Marr as it is long overdue.

I'm afraid that 'Johnny Marr: The Smiths and the Art of Gun-slinging' isn't the answer though. It's a very poor book which will not provide the average Smiths/Marr fan with anything new or further insight into his genius.

I was alarmed at some of the inaccuracies in the book. There are far too many to mention - but one example is when Carman suggests that The Smiths song 'I Know it's Over' originally had a trumpet track on it. No it didn't! It was 'Frankly Mr Shankly' man. Read Simon Goddard's book!

There are more spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in this book than in any other rock biography (and I have read a few) I have ever read. I would recommend a proof read before - or should I say 'if' - it's reprinted.

I don't feel comfortable slating something that carries the name of one of my all time favorite musicians (and a Christmas present to boot) but am afraid that I must. There will be other books about Marr I guess. Hopefully they will be more insightful, accurate and better written than this one...

Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend
Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend
by Stephen Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Neat..., 28 July 2011
I'm a massive Doors fan and read the Jerry Hopkins, Ray Manzarek and John Densmore books in the past. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to other fans. There are one or two new revelations and theories about Morrison's life which I found a bit disturbing.

I'm giving this 4/5 because I'm not 100% convinced that as Davis speculates, Morrison died of a heroin overdose. Heroin was not a drug Morrison had ever taken up until the night he died. So why would he do it on 2nd/3rd July 1971? It doesn't make sense to me and Davis doesn't particularly put forward a good or convincing case for it.

Anyway, I guess that's all about opinion and at the end of the day, I would recommend Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend as it's a well written book which I read in about four days.

Dave Gahan: Depeche Mode & The Second Coming
Dave Gahan: Depeche Mode & The Second Coming
by Trevor Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars The Average DM Fan Could Probably Write This..., 8 April 2011
This book is among a current trend of 'unofficial' biographies that fail to deliver. Firstly, I don't doubt Trevor Baker's appreciation of Depeche Mode's music and their long lasting legacy. He's not at all a bad writer either but Dave Gahan: Depeche Mode & The Second Coming is one of those books that the average DM fan with access to the right websites and forums, would think they could write themselves. And they'd be right...

If you're new to Depeche Mode this book is worth a read but if you're not, you'll have came across a lot of the magazine and newspaper articles that form the basis of his research. There are no interviews with Gahan or any former or existing DM band members. Baker does quote session musicians and engineers he interviewed from the SOF&D and Ultra eras but provides nothing new or particularly informative about the dynamics of one of my favourite bands. Seen, read, heard it all before etc...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2012 6:24 PM BST

Black Vinyl White Powder
Black Vinyl White Powder
by Simon Napier-Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're interested in the history of British music, buy this book, 18 Nov. 2010
I don't usually review the items I buy on here. I thought I must on this occasion however, because I think some of the reviews of this excellent book are a bit unfair.

Firstly, I think Napier-Bell is an excellent writer and raconteur. I've read all three of his books this year and enjoyed all of them immensley. Black Vinyl, White Powder is the last in the series of Napier-Bell books and the final one I read. Whatever you think about him, the guy's been there, seen it and done it. He managed the Yardbirds, Bolan and Wham to name but a few, wrote the lyrics to Dusty Springfield's 'You Don't Have to Say You Love Me' and had friendships with the likes of Brian Epstein and Kit Lambert. There are no heirs and graces with Napier-Bell - he tells it how it is in an entertaining (and honest to the point of sometimes being offensive) way.

His knowledge of the British music scene is first class and and in all three of his books you'll learn new things about the heavyweights involved in it. I can't recommend this book highly enough and if you enjoy it (which I'm sure you will) I would encourage you to check out his other two excellent books.

It's one of the best books about pop and rock music I've read - and I've read quite a few.

Jimmy Page
Jimmy Page
by George Case

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read but you won't learn anything new here..., 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Jimmy Page (Hardcover)
While I enjoyed reading this book, I agree with other reviewers that a lot of the information in it is anecdotal and culled from various magazine interviews over the years.

I wanted to know more about Page but you don't get any closer to him here. There are lots of 'facts' but no real exclusives. You don't really put the book down knowing what makes Page tick.

I'd have liked more info on Page's early life. I'd have preferred more detail on his session work and as a fan of the only Yardbirds album he was involved with (Little Games) I was hoping for a greater insight into it.

Magus, Magician, Man isn't a badly written book and I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it. If you've read a lot about Page and Zeppelin before though you probably won't learn anything new here.