Profile for Michelle Moore > Reviews

Content by Michelle Moore
Helpful Votes: 2006

Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Silentnight Air Max Pillow
Silentnight Air Max Pillow

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first impressions - but medium not hard, 21 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There seem to be mixed reviews for this pillow, but first impressions for me are good. It is a substantial pillow, which fills the pillowcase. I think that the rating of 8 for hardness is a little high, I would place it as medium, as have a lot of other reviewers.

It does compress when you lie on it, but I didn't find it too much. Yes, it probably does compress a little too much if you specifically want a hard, firm pillow, but as a medium, it is fine. When I sleep on my side I tend to put my arm up on the pillow too, which means it doesn't cover my face at all, and it feels comfortable on my back too.

Obviously pillows fare differently over time, so I will add to this review at a later stage. One thing I will say is that the mesh around the side is supposed to improve airflow, but as it's then covered by a pillowcase, I can't see how that helps...?

HoMedics Facial Cleansing Brush with Four Attachments
HoMedics Facial Cleansing Brush with Four Attachments
Offered by R B Discount - CLEARANCE DEALS

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings - silicone head very good, 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm torn over this, as it has good and bad points. Firstly, it is small and lightweight, and only needs one small battery (one is supplied) so as well as not taking up much room, it's also very good for travelling. There's a little stand, which means you can stand it upside down, so all water comes off of the head, and it dries well.

My main issue is that the description is a bit misleading, and I don't feel it needs the different heads. There are only 3 head attachments, the fourth is actually the stand. In addition, one of the heads is a sponge. They say that it's useful for applying moisturiser, and some are using it for make-up. But, to me you end up wasting some it as it gets pushed into the sponge, and it's not easy to keep clean.

That leaves a very soft brush head, and the silicone bobbly one. The brush is so soft though, that I wasn't sure it was actually doing anything. In one place in the instructions this brush is recommended for around the eyes, but in another part, they say to avoid the eye area.. maybe I misunderstood, but even if it is just for the eye area, switching the heads seems a pain.

My issue was that I couldn't turn it on and off with wet hands, as it was too slippery. I needed to grab it with a towel, which is a bit inconvenient.

However - the silicone head left my skin feeling as good as it usually does after a good exfoliator, so that one works really well! I'd be very happy to have this with just the silicone head, and the stand, and it should hopefully make a good alternative to buying exfoliators.

House of Marley Smile Jamaica In-Ear Headphones with 1 Button Microphone - Fire Earphones Earbuds

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual look, great quality!, 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried quite a few earbuds over the past few years. I'm too scared to buy expensive ones, in case the quality doesn't live up to the price, but I find the cheaper range can be very hit and miss.

I mainly use them to listen to audiobooks, and poor quality notices a lot.. but I also listen to music at times as well. I've tried these ones with both, and the quality is great for my needs, very clear and impressive.

Also, after having plastic, the style of these is great - I was sent Fire to review, and they look very nice.. it's very unusual to see wood instead of plastic.

I would definitely buy in the future - recommended!

Popband Headbands, Black
Popband Headbands, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Stay on well, 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are not as wide as my other headbands, but this doesn't seem to matter. They have a thin silicone strip on the back, and this does help it stay in the hair. I use them more for keeping my hair out the way for face cleansing and make up, and other hairbands do have a tendency to slip off sometimes.

On my screen at least, two of the bands look purple and white, but they are light and dark metallic grey.

Oral-B Genius 9000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun - Black - Ships with a 2 pin plug

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for some, but too much for many!, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, I can still remember when you went to the supermarket and bought a toothbrush for 99p.. things have changed a little! I'm actually grateful to amazon for letting me review a braun electric toothbrush a while ago, as we're now all converts - so it was interesting to see what the top of the range offers.

I'll look at each part.. first, the actual toothbrush - as I said, we all now use this type of toothbrush, and find them better than a manual. I've also tried a sonic one, and didn't like that all. That's an individual thing, but I didn't like the fast vibration.. these Braun ones simply rotate, and I find it much more comfortable.

This particular set comes with 4 different brush heads, which is great if you want to give them a try, but a bit of a waste if you already have a preference. Combined with the different cleaning modes however, there is a wide range of cleaning which should suit everyone.

Next, onto the travel case. If you travel a lot, it might be a good choice, but if you only have one holiday a year it's probably not worth it. It's a nice case, which will keep your brush handle well protected, and you can take 2 heads in it as well. There is a separate plug which is used for the case, and it's also a 2 pin plug, which is a shame. You plug that lead into the case, which will charge the head.. and you can also then plug in a USB cord, and attach your phone. So, it you want to use the 2 pin bathroom plug to charge both your brush and phone, or even use it just for your phone, it's useful, but a little untidy.

This is one of the annoyances I have with these brushes.. all of them only have 2 pin plugs. In our house, the shaver plug is for some reason in the bedroom and not the bathroom, which means we have to charge our handles in the bedroom. And some houses may not have them at all. For this price in particular, I don't see why Braun can't include an adapter.. or at least make the main charger 2 pin, and the travel case 3 pin.

My daughter was quite looking forward to the app, but she hasn't bothered to continue using it. For one thing, the phone has to be in front of you, which means putting it in a holder, and sticking it (by suction cup) on a mirror or window.. and it fell off a couple of times, making us quite worried about her iPhone! She also had trouble getting it to recognise her face, so she soon gave up.

In conclusion, I would say that this may all be too much for most people. Regular travellers may like the travel case, and some may find the app useful.. but for most I would suggest just the brush.. sorry Braun!

Minecraft: The Survivors' Book of Secrets: An Official Minecraft Book from Mojang
by Mojang AB

4.0 out of 5 stars Intermediate level, helpful for combat.., 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I handed this to my 12 year old Minecraft player, and she was quite impressed. She tells me it would be good for an intermediate player.. it doesn't show you the basics, but there certainly content she found useful and informative. It mainly covers combat, but it looks at defending your own base, as well as defeating enemies.

It's a small hardback book, which makes it good for carrying around. It's written in a format that suggests a group of players who have jotted down all of their survival tips.. the little drawings look hand drawn, which is quite sweet. There's even a few pages in the back where you can write down your own tips and information.

Salter Digital Kitchen Scale, Red
Salter Digital Kitchen Scale, Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, but feels a little too cheap for the price, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As scales, these are good - they measure in grams or oz and also in ml, so they can be used for liquids too. It's possible to weight one ingredient, reset to 0, and then add a 2nd ingredient.. so that cuts down on washing up, which is always a plus. It's thin and lightweight, and say to clean.

However, I have to say that this has quite a cheap feel to it. The buttons don't have a good 'push' to them, and it rather feels *too* light and plasticy. This may be my personal preference for metal finishes, but if it didn't have Salter on it, I would have judged this to be a cheap model.

Notes on Being Teenage
Notes on Being Teenage
by Rosalind Jana

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, positive advice for teens, 29 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Notes on Being Teenage (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well written and engaging book for teenagers of all ages. Rosalind is in her 20s, and so isn't too long out of her teenage years, and yet she's experienced quite a lot. She's therefore able to discuss many issues, reflecting on her own experiences. Alongside this though, she includes brief interviews with others, such as a vlogger, author and model agent.

The book includes the following chapters:
I love the way I look
Finding your style
Online life
Notes on family
What's inside your head?
Friendships and fitting in
Love and stuff
What makes you tick?

I'm passing this on to my 12 year old daughter, and I was hoping to bring her views before I wrote this (considering I'm not a teenager!) but she hasn't gotten round to it. I will update when she does, from from my parental view this does seem to be a good book for teens, which will feel like friendly, positive advice from a big sister.

Parker Jotter Premium Oxford Pinstripe CT Ballpoint Pen, Gift Box - Grey
Parker Jotter Premium Oxford Pinstripe CT Ballpoint Pen, Gift Box - Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Thin and lightweight, 15 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I believe the different finishes will all end up clumped together, so this is for the Oxford Grey Pinstripe. To my eyes, it has a slight green tinge to it, and I'll be honest, I'm not keen.. but then the finish will be a personal choice.

It comes in a nice gift box, so is ideal for a present. It's fairly thin, and lightweight.. probably ideal for blazer pockets! As with all Parker products, it writes smoothly, with no leaking or blobbing. It comes with blue ink, but black refills are quite easy to find.

Russell Hobbs Purify Multi-Health Fryer 21840, 3 L - White
Russell Hobbs Purify Multi-Health Fryer 21840, 3 L - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Early impressions....., 15 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I was offered this to review, I admit I wasn't that clear on what it actually was. We've considered getting a deep fat fryer, but just haven't gotten around to it - so when I saw a healthy version, I decided to request it to review. There is a lot to explore, but I decided to give my initial thoughts now, and then come back and edit as I trial more foods, settings etc. This is because there are no reviews up yet, and I'm hoping first impressions might help others.

First off, this is quite a bulky machine. I now know that there are other 'dry fryers' on the market, and they appear to be of varying sizes, and varying prices. This promises to do more than just frying, but does seem a little large. It's shape makes it difficult to measure accurately, but the dimensions are given as 41.8 x 34.5 x 34.5 cm. Most of the heat seems to come off from the back of the machine, so I would advise making sure you have enough space to allow circulation room at the back.

The description given for it is very brief, as is the instruction book, but it appears to basically be a small fan oven, using concentrated, circulating, hot air. Because the heat comes from the top, it is supposed to be possible to use it to grill as well. You can apparently air-fry, roast, bake and grill. It comes with a drip tray and a basket, plus a rack which can be used for grilling. It even includes 5 skewers.

It has a setting for the heat, and then a clockwork timer. Once the timer runs down, or if the door is opened, the heat switches off. It's important to note that if you ope the door, the heat turns off, but the timer continues. It needs pre-heating, but this only takes 5 minutes.

So far, we have tried grilling toast, and making some wedges. My first impression is that cooking is quite slow. The instruction booklet gives timings for some foods, including wedges, but I think they're a generous estimate. The toast took about 3 minutes each side to be only just toasted.. perfect for my daughter, but not for someone who likes dark toast! As for wedges, they appear to take about half an hour, and we've kept them quite small. They did taste really nice, and not oily - but I haven't tried making them before in an oven, so I can't compare. I will do so though.

If you're just looking to make some chips every now and again, you probably need one of the smaller, cheaper machines. I'm still trying to work out where this sits in the market, as it takes up quite a bit of room, and seems to take a while to cook things. However, my 12 year old daughter is quite taken with it, so we will definitely be trying some more foods, and also comparing them with conventional love cooking. We will be reporting back, and I will update as we go.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20