Profile for Gerard > Reviews

2 X Serial ATA Sata Hard Drive Data Cable Lead
2 X Serial ATA Sata Hard Drive Data Cable Lead
Offered by HDMIPerfect

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 1 May 2012
Royal Mail delivered this to the wrong address. I expected cables of a reasonable length to fit in a PC. I received 15cm cables. This wasn't long enough to fit in my PC case.

Anabela por siempre (for learners of Spanish) (Novels for learning foreign languages nş 3) (Spanish Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great short story, 17 Jun. 2011
I have looked a few times for Spanish reading material. It always seem to be either too easy or full of words that I don't understand. I really enjoyed reading this book because I didn't have to keep stopping to look up words in the dictionary. There were plenty of phrases and words I hadn't encountered before but it wasn't difficult to work out the meaning from the Spanish text. For me it was a great confidence builder and an interesting story too.

Rosetta Stone Version 3: Spanish (Spain) Level 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 with Audio Companion (Mac/PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I expected., 22 April 2011
I have heard people mention Rosetta Stone and when I saw I could get a "Spain" version I thought I would give it a try. As I live in Europe, I am more likely to visit Spain than Latin America. I spend about two hours a day learning and practising Spanish. I've done a few home courses over the last 18 months and I have a reasonable vocabulary. I wanted Rosetta stone to help me with the pronunciation of Spanish in Spain and to add to my vocabulary.

Each of the language courses I have used has its own focus on what is considered important to teach. Rosetta stone seems to put a lot of emphasis on using the progressive (-ing) tense. eg. He is eating. The courses I used prior to Rosetta stone mentioned it but said it wasn't used as widely as in English. They taught it so you would know it when you heard it but brushed over it. It is an extremely easy tense to conjugate and doesn't take much practice. Rosetta stone is the complete opposite. If I had only used Rosetta stone I would now be convinced that the progressive tense is the tense of choice. Ignorance is bliss. Not being an expert in Spanish, it left me a little confused. To resolve the issue I found some scripts for Spanish films and checked for the progressive tense being used. I found a couple of instances of it being used in dozens of pages of script which contradicts the level of use in Rosetta Stone. I am curious to see other languages in Rosetta Stone. Have they written the scripts in English and then done a direct translation into other languages?

Until using Rosetta stone my learning has been fairly straight forward. The usual forgetting words but everything was straight forward and clear. After using Rosetta Stone for a while I now find myself with uncertainties in word ending when conjugating verbs. Instead of improving my Spanish it has set it back in some areas. The introduction of the present tense ending and imperative endings for the same verbs at the same time just creates confusion. Other courses get you familiar with to one first and then introduce the other.

Rosetta Stone make a big deal about their "Immersion" learning techniques which sounds great. It is all about learning language the way you did growing up. Wouldn't that be great? It was so easy! There is one element that is missing from the process. It is the "Why" element. Anyone who has spent time with children growing up will be all to familiar with the word "Why?". Rosetta stone tells you when you get answers right or wrong but it doesn't explain the why. It would me nice to have a button to click on in the lessons to explain what it is teaching so you can understand. We are grown ups after all. We can understand the concepts of grammar.

As a software developer I probably have a more critical eye than most when using software. There are some bugs/inconsistencies but I think as software goes it is quite well presented. It combines audio,visual and written material. You can choose if you want to concentrate on listening/reading/writing which should allow you to tailor the course to your preferred learning method. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to work as well as it could. The first time I used it I set it on the most thorough option. After a few lessons, I was dying of boredom. The various levels either seem to rush through the words or it repeats things ad nausium. It's difficult to find a happy medium.

It works by showing a set of images and prompts you to select either an image to fit a phrase or a phrase to fit an image. I find it a bit slow with what seems to be a lot of time waiting for it to display the next set of images. They randomly change the order in which it asks the questions in mid lesson. This can cause confusion the first time through a level. The pictures forming a sequence of events aren't always self explanatory if the software starts prompting from the end. When the first prompt is "The cup is red" and you have two pictures with red cups, which do you choose. It is obvious once you know the rest of the phrases to go with the pictures. It's not the end of the world if you get some wrong but it does get irritating. There have been numerous occasions where I have understood the Spanish but struggled to work out which picture they are trying to reference. It sometimes feels like you are spending more time playing "Hunt the picture" than learning Spanish. I would think the aim is to reinforce the association between sound/word/image and not to spend so much time improving your picture finding skills.

I couldn't honestly recommend this to anyone as a serious tool to begin learning Spanish. There haven't been many applications I regret using but this is one. It has been good to listen to pronunciation by people from Spain. It has added a few words to my vocabulary but it has caused set backs in my learning that I will have to work hard at to resolve. For me the disadvantages of using this software outweigh the advantages.

There seems to have been a lot of work put into the software and I think it has the potential of being a truly great package. If I hadn't used other courses my opinion might be different. It is far better than cheaper "Spanish in 10 days" type courses but I don't think the price tag of Rosetta stone is justified by the results I obtained from the package. Rosetta stone has an excellent sales pitch. They just need to tweak the software to match. There is a free Spanish course on-line that use similar techniques for teaching and does it in a much better way.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2013 2:44 AM BST

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since sliced bread., 22 Mar. 2011
I wanted a device to store my book collection in one convenient place and chose the Kindle. I don't regret it.

I've used backlit hand-held devices and PCs for reading books but I always find it a strain on the eyes after a while. The kindle is lit by ambient light so there isn't the same problems.

I was amazed at the clarity of the display. It is just like reading a "real" book. When I've shown it to others they were all equally impressed.

I love the look and feel. It fits nicely in the hand and I've had no problem holding for hours on end.

The interface to the Amazon website to buy books is excellent. The option to download a preview of a book before you buy it is great. The preview is available in an instant through the Wi-Fi.

I've generated my own kindle docs for notes and things I'm learning. They are simple to do and look great. (You need 3rd party software for this).

I don't use the MP3 much but it sounded ok for the audio books/music I have listened to.

There is an experimental browser built in. I haven't used it much. I prefer to use my PC for browsing the net.

It can read PDFs but I tried it on a couple of PDF and found it a bit cumbersome. The ones I tried involved zooming in so I could read the text but then I couldn't see the whole page. This then meant scrolling around the page to read it all before going to the next page. If you have a PDF you must read, it will do the job.

There are a couple of things I wouldn't mind changing if I could:
- The menu system isn't always intuitive.
- It comes with a selection of screen savers which it displays when the keypad is locked. It would be nice to be able to change these to your own pictures.
- You can group your books by category but it would be nice to have sub-categories too.

I am on my second Kindle. The first developed cracks in the case at the bottom corners of the display. I've had my second a while now and all seems ok. Amazon were great. I spoke to them on the phone and I had a new kindle in my hand the following day. I think the true test of a company is how they act when things go wrong. I can't fault Amazon.

I think the Kindle is excellent value for money and I really would recommend a Kindle as a replacement for paper books.