Profile for S. R. Hector > Reviews

Content by S. R. Hector

S. R. Hector "Lit-wit" (Worcestershire,England)

Epson Stylus SX218 All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy) Printer with Individual Ink Technology & LCD screen

2.0 out of 5 stars Eps(ill)on SX218 all-in-one, 6 Sept. 2011
My aged DX5050 was becoming unreliable so a replacement was due. I chose an SX218 all-in-one because my stock of unused cartridges would fit this version. A very well known store supplied me a wrong part number (many hours wasted !)and so,forever the optimist, I ordered another SX218 from Amazon. This was correctly and promptly supplied but oh woe and great gnashing of the teeth ,this one failed on set-up ! Time for a re-think!!
After much driver resetting and patience I have breathed new life ( twice in one month)into the DX5050 and now plan to order a Canon medium format printer. In fairness I have used Epson products for seven years so have made good use of them but find Epson support advise me to replace my equipment without a thorough investigation.

Berghaus Verden 65+10 Mens Rucksack - Ash/Black/Thunder, 75Lt
Berghaus Verden 65+10 Mens Rucksack - Ash/Black/Thunder, 75Lt

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged Rucksack, 1 Jun. 2010
There are so many large rucksacks to choose from in the marketplace. Most of them appear to be able to fulfil their function but after looking at them more closely you may find that they are mainly only suitable for unambitious walks and periods ,getting uncomfortable after hours or days on the move. I tried the Verden 65+10 and found that after a few minutes adjustment the " Biofit " system adapted to my body . This is where Berghaus scored five stars with a semi-rigid plastic base or "spine" with straps and padding for fine-tune adjustment that did not appear to be fitted on other makes.I am now training with graduated weight in my rucksack on local hills and have found that the time spent in comparing and fitting different products was well worth it. All I can hope for now is good weather to use it !

Griffon Spitfire Aces (Aircraft of the Aces)
Griffon Spitfire Aces (Aircraft of the Aces)
by Andrew Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Griffon Grand Finale, 11 Mar. 2010
I bought " Griffon Spitfire Aces " because I had some information on Spitfire pilots I wanted to check. Osprey's "unique source of information researched by recognised experts " cannot always achieve 100% accuracy . Spitfire FR 18 NH850/Z from No. 60 Squadron ,an iconic version, was featured on pages 40,83,84,85 and the rear cover .However on pages 84 and 85 'Z' was not flown on 1st January 1951 by Sqdn/Ldr W.Duncan-Smith (the last offensive/combat sortie) but by F/O Joe Walters accompanied by F/O McDonald and Smith JC . This is verified by Joe Walter's log-book that I have witnessed . It has been signed off by Sqdn/Ldr Smith who was unable to fly on the 1st January 1951.
The book lists his fellow final flight pilots as F/Lt Bailey and F/O Keogh ,Joe recalled it as above ,McDonald and Smith JC. They were re-united at the inaugural flight of TP280 , a replica rebuilt and now in USA .It would take a whole Osprey volume to record Joe's long and fascinating flying career but at least I can set the record straight that he flew NH850/Z on the 1st and not S/L W Duncan-Smith.
This does not detract from Andrew Thomas' series of books, Osprey Publications' comprehensive list or S/L Duncan-Smith . Mistakes can occur and after many years are difficult to verify and correct.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2013 6:33 PM BST

Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars " Inspector Morse - The Complete Collection ", 6 Jan. 2010
The must-have present for Morse fans.Perhaps my favourite detective series with Morse's love of good beer,crosswords,and classical music plus Oxford as a background .I always park in Jericho , (the scene of the first version) and walk through the streets. It's one of my luxuries to select a DVD at my leisure with a tipple of choice then relax for hours. For me no other detective series has the appeal and sophistication so it had to be Morse. John Thaw was a seasoned and well-loved actor , Kevin Whateley continues in " Lewis " , the double-act never failed to entertain. Recommended viewing for all Morse fans ,particularly as the series is not often seen on our screens now. All you need now is a good supply of beer,crisps ,savouries and uninterrupted viewing for maximum enjoyment.