Profile for Mr. David Atkinson > Reviews

Content by Mr. David Atkinson

Mr. David Atkinson (Northern England)

Chrome Dreams II: +DVD
Chrome Dreams II: +DVD
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it is the best for a long time!!!!, 28 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Chrome Dreams II: +DVD (Audio CD)
Some years ago Neil Young meant everything to me. I loved the classics (no need to mention their names here.) I also found great value in a lot of his more lowly rated and ignored music also. Time goes on and Neil has become more and more of a challenge! The last Neil release of new material that really did the job for me was 'Broken Arrow' with Crazy Horse. That was 1996!!! Nearly twelve years ago!!! 'Silver & Gold' is a reasonable, reflective little album but there are some shoddy releases, 'Road Rock,' 'Are you Passionate,' 'Prairie Wind' and the utterly pathetic 'Living with War.' I got off to a bad start with 'Greendale' after sitting through Neil play it in its entirety at Manchester Appollo to an increasingly restless audience. Try as I might I cannot look back on that night as great and memorable. My old hero visited my home town.............what a waste!

Now, 'Chrome Dreams II.' I think we should forget all about 'Chrome Dreams I.' I do not believe there is any connection whatsoever between these two. I believe Neil is just being a little obscure and deliberately enigmatic. If I have to compare this to another Neil album I will choose 'Sleeps With Angels.' Both of these albums are BIG, they are LONG, they are of MIXED STYLE, they contain an enjoyable rocking throwaway in 'Dirty old Man / Piece of Crap,' they contain a lot of JAMMING. They were both conceived in MIDDLE AGE. Let's not make comparisons with 'Everybody Knows this is Nowhere.' Neil was a young lad when he made that and a number of other truly WONDERFUL recordings. How different are you now to what you were twenty or thirty years ago? Or more?

In all honesty I am writing this review a little too early. 'Sleeps With Angels' took many plays for me to appreciate just how much of a gem it really is. I didn't rush out to buy 'Chrome Dreams II' on the day of release. After Neil's recent form I almost didn't buy it at all!

I will say now that this is a chunky, proper rock record and I am getting the odd little adrenalin rush as I listen to parts of it. I don't know for how long these feelings will last but at the moment I have to say that I think this album is pretty good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2010 8:44 PM GMT

Valhalla in Flames: Battle for the Grail
Valhalla in Flames: Battle for the Grail
by Gary Lucas

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Hybrid Of History and Fiction, 21 Jan. 2006
Marvel at the style in which the foundation stones are placed. Appreciate the knowledge of the author in the zones of both history and popular myth as you are taken on a hair raising journey. A journey which will chill you to the very core. You will experience calm as you study what is past before you are torn from your comfortable armchair to face the nightmare as the slippery thread then weaves through the years of your own lifetime.
The questions you had at the start will, with patience be answered. En route the roller coaster you thought would turn left will viciously swing to the right and then and further and unexpectedly swing back again. When you are smug in your forecast of the outcome you will be cruelly required to rethink it all.
This is a highly rewarding read and will appeal to fans of factual history and also those who love the greyer, more mythical and uncertain areas. Those, like myself who are a little under-endowed in these departments will learn lots along the way. The author's style is highly descriptive and the characters are infused with real life character. You really know these people and you certainly know who you like and who you don't!! Simply, anyone who loves a thriller should also enjoy this book.
Somebody has said in another review that it is difficult to believe that this is the author's first novel. I fully agree and eagerly await more from Gary Lucas in the future.