Profile for Janey > Reviews

Content by Janey

Janey

The Throwaway Boy: I Didn't Understand Why My Husband Cried Himself to Sleep Every Night - Then the Truth Came Out

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst "Mis Lit" book I have ever read, 17 Nov. 2012
This book is very useful - buy it for anyone who talks too much about themselves. Because that's what the author does, incessantly. Whoever you buy this book for will soon realise why such behaviour is so off-putting, in a way that is impossible to describe just by telling them.

I do not mean to denigrate what happened to Billy. And the author's support of her husband is commendable. It is just that I have read a number of "mis lit" books and this one is the worst, simply because so much of the book is about Alix (the subject's wife), not Billy (the subject).

The book is written in three modes - flashbacks to Alix's childhood, flashbacks to Billy's childhood and Alix & Billy as adults as the story comes out. In my opinion, the former is irrelevant and self-indulgent and therefore should have been edited out. And the story does not start to come out until over 50% of the way through the book, to the extent that I question the relevance of much of the first 50%.

I felt as if I was swimming through treacle, yet hanging on in there owing to the seriousness of the subject matter. Having reached the end, I wish I had done what some other reviewers had done and simply given up on the book.

It is with regret that I write such a negative review about so serious a topic. It is just that we learn SO little about the author's husband and SO much about the author. It's like me writing a biography about someone, you buying it and finding out that the vast majority of the book is about me.

Rolson (61770)  72 LED Inspection Lamp, Black (Single)
Rolson (61770) 72 LED Inspection Lamp, Black (Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Terribly bright & terribly useful, 26 July 2012
This light is very powerful and does the job very well. We bought it for camping and found it very useful. The batteries last ages.

The magnets on the rear are handy for attaching (in our case) to the lid of our double burner when cooking.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 26 July 2012
This review is from: The God Delusion (Kindle Edition)
There's not much I can say that has not been said by others, with so many reviews on here.

I found the book an eye opener and thoroughly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 8:31 AM BST

Funny Facebook Statuses
Funny Facebook Statuses

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says on the tin. Can I award negative stars?, 17 Mar. 2012
I draw a line at a person who reviews his own book and awards it 5 stars. And who claims in the Product Description that 'this is not the recycled nonsense normally found elsewhere' - this is untrue. Many of the jokes are recycled e.g. "I used to be pretty indecisive. Now I'm not so sure". Other Amazon books e.g. "A Thousand Funny Status Messages" have far more original content, and much more of it.

As for the quality of the book, I personally find the sense of humour childish e.g. "Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or a really cool opotamus?", "I sometimes open the door in my pyjamas. People always ask me why there's a door in my pyjamas" and "I like to sleep with the bedside lamp on, even though my wife reckons it's weird. I don't see how, I think it makes a great hat!" In my opinion, this book is suited to children, not adults.

Here's a few facts of my own about the 5-star reviews of this book (this is correct at the time of writing but may have changed by the time you read this):

1. Every 5 star review has one thing in common - if you click on "see my reviews" you will see that each reviewer has only ever reviewed one item - this book. (Of course, this may subsequently change). There is nothing wrong with that in itself - it is just that the frequency makes me wary.

2. One 5 star reviewer has chosen the username `Jamie bribedbytheauthor miller`.

3. One reviewer is `andrew campbell', the author. He awards his own book 5 stars! Since writing this review, his review disappeared (it wouldn't surprise me if it was pulled by Amazon). I now see that he has written a second review, again awarding it 5 stars! He put both reviews on both the UK and US Amazon websites.

In the author's second review of his own book, he pretends to be Chuck Norris and orders the reader to buy the book ('I'm Chuck Norris..." "...Chuck is ordering you to read this book. If you don't, you'd better keep the light on and watch your back. For the rest of your life'). He obviously thinks that his review is funny - it explains the terribly childish sense of humour in his book.

As the author has reviewed his own book, and as one 5-star reviewer's middle name is 'bribedbytheauthor', I take the 'Was this review helpful to you' votes on all reviews with a hefty pinch of salt.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2012 10:03 PM BST

Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: From Common Man to Ironman
Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: From Common Man to Ironman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great motivator for exercise, 17 Mar. 2012
This is a fascinating story and a real motivator. It was a kick up the backside for me - if he can do that, I can at the very least go to the gym more often - which I now do. Inspirational.