Profile for RJS > Reviews

Content by RJS

RJS

The Mysterious Cities Of Gold: The Complete Series BBC (Slimline version) [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Bernard Deyries

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia Isn't As Good As It Used To Be, 11 Dec. 2010
I remember watching this series back in the day when Children's BBC was presented from a broom cupboard with Andi Peters and two arms known as The Butler. As there are 39 episodes and there was one shown a week it seemed to go on forever, but I'd rush home to see the next installment of The Mysterious Cities of Gold. I bough this box set collection recently for pure nostalgia.

It's an exciting storyline and subject for children, three children constantly outwit adults to find their way to hidden cities built from gold and, in two cases, search for their long lost fathers.

Well, after all these years it's still entertaining, not least the theme music, (superb!) however, the story does lose its way in parts what with a futuristic race freezing themselves looking for a cure to their old age using technology beyond the 21 century in the 16 century but as a child I think you'd overlook that.

I'm sure my children will enjoy to watch these as I did when I was their age, the question is, will I force them to sing every time the theme tune comes on?

Yes, yes I will.