Profile for JP Wright > Reviews

JP Wright

Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
by Michael Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm introduction to an important sidelined word..., 21 May 2013
The Psalm writer grasps after a way of picturing the might and majesty of God saying, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked." - God is so great and perfect that the Psalmist can't imagine anywhere better than in His presence, even if it means being the receptionist!

Sadly, Christians have often emphasised God's size and power that they start believing that He is an unknowable mystery.

Delighting in the Trinity shows that this is simply not the case; I may not be able to know everything about God, but I can know something about Him. The truths I learn won't be complete, but they'll still be true.

The beauty of this book is that it doesn't try to "explain God" as much as it invites us to see how a God who is Father, Son and Spirit can be known, worshipped and loved. Far from treating God like an unknowable mystery, this book takes ideas that have often seemed like dry classroom ideas to be analysed, and reveals them to be sticks of dynamite that warm our hearts and give us every reason to love God. Rather than being an academic textbook, Reeves is constantly helping us to see how our understanding of God changes our minds, hearts and lives. This book really is about "Delighting" in a doctrine that is often treated as dull and difficult - and it really will help you to delight more in the God of the Bible.

While the whole book was packed with highlights, Chapter 5 was my favourite entitled, "Who among the gods is like, O Lord?" In it, Reeves shows how seeing God as a Fountain of overflowing love impacts the way we understand God's holiness, wrath and glory. Instead of seeing those things as unfortunate side-effects of God's character, Reeves shows why these things are actually good news because he is a God who is Three in One. Really, that's what the whole book is about; seeing God as good, beautiful and desirable above everything else we can imagine.

Whether the doctrine of Trinity scares you or bores you, "Delighting in the Trinity" is a wonderful invitation to step past these barriers to fall more in love with the God who overflows with love.

I can't recommend it highly enough.