Profile for nick_s_ > Reviews

Content by nick_s_

"nick_s_"

Accuratus USB Wireless Keyboard with Optical Mouse
Accuratus USB Wireless Keyboard with Optical Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect keyboard, very ergonomic design., 12 Feb. 2016
The metal trackball is an improvement on the plastic one of the previous model (that I've been using for a couple of years now). This new model is also lighter-weight and more compact than the older model, and only needs 2xAA batteries (rather than 4xAA previously). The wireless range is excellent, I can use the keyboard throughout the living room with the little USB receiver plugged in at the back of the machine. The slightly smaller (laptop-sized) keys are not quite as comfortable as a full-size keys for prolonged typing, but better than the keys on my Netbook, and fine for typical living-room use. I like the feel/response of the keys.

For those using Linux, the missing Left-Alt key can be swapped with the Left-Super/Windows key using the "xmodmap" command (look up xmodmap on the web for technical details). I've done this and all the Left-Alt shortcuts work fine using the Left-Super key instead.

I also like the slightly rubberised feel of the material, very comfortable to hold, and the positions for the mouse buttons, scroll wheel and trackball fall very naturally under the fingers with no annoying side-buttons to accidentally press, a really well-thought out design. I can hold down Ctrl + Left-Mouse + drag with the trackball without having to put the keyboard down on a surface, which I can't do with any other keyboard I've tried.

Overall I really like this keyboard. There are welcome improvements from the previous model and it has excellent ergonomic design, although I've deducted a star for the keyboard layout quirks - if they were sorted it would be perfect.