Profile for Junior Hornet > Reviews

Content by Junior Hornet

Junior Hornet "hornet123" (Devon, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BLOOM Tropical Matcha (30g)
BLOOM Tropical Matcha (30g)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant fruity green tea drink, 18 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've recently tried the Mojito version of this (Peppermint and Lime flavour) so this will cover some of the same ground. Firstly, the term "ceremonial grade" has no legal basis so can only really be compared with other grades of the same manufacturer. That said, this is a very fine blend. Also, I cannot comment on the health benefits so I have taken those as read in other sources. I am a regular drinker of green tea but the Mojito blend was the first time I had tried Matcha.

Now to the product itself. The tropical version has a much more fruity smell than the Mojito (in which the peppermint taste is stronger). I have tried it cold, stirred into orange juice and hot with the hot water poured over the powder through a tea strainer. In the juice, the powder gave it a slightly thicker texture although not as thick as a smoothie. I found it to taste similar to tropical fruit juice and it was very pleasant.

Prepared hot, I can only liken it to a Mango and tea sandwich with the mango as the bread. Before drinking, the aroma is definitely of mango. However, when drinking it, I could only taste green tea. Then in the aftertaste, the mango flavour resurfaced and stuck around for a while. The only drawback is a slight sediment in the bottom. I have vigorously stirred it with a spoon and a whisk but the sediment is still there. Not a big deal but a shock if you forget.

I am enjoying drinking these blends. All in all I would say that I prefer this one cold in juice and the Mojito one hot. However, they are both palatable both ways. I have not tried it iced as that is not my thing.

Daily Mail Pitcherwits - Volume 1 (The Daily Mail Puzzle Books)
Daily Mail Pitcherwits - Volume 1 (The Daily Mail Puzzle Books)
by Professor Rebus

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 11 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My initial thoughts when opening this book is that it reminds me of the picture crosswords I used to do as a kid. However, on trying to solve the puzzles, I found that the resemblance stopped there.

The basic premise is that most of the clues are of a fairly mild cryptic variety with eight clues per puzzle as pictures with a cryptic clue also given. It sounds as if this should make it easier but it doesn't always.

I struggled a bit with the first couple of puzzles as it is clear that a certain "code" is present so that particular pictures recur and have a given meaning. For example, a snake with curved lines coming out of its mouth represents a "S" sound (sounds like hissing). Once you have established the recurring themes though, things are a lot clearer and I found that the puzzles, though still fairly challenging, became easier. I suspect that by the time I get to the end of the book, I will be wanting volume two to step up the difficulty.

BLOOM Mojito Matcha (30g)
BLOOM Mojito Matcha (30g)
Offered by Superfooduk

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 11 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having drunk green tea, either loose leaves or teabags, for a number of years, I was keen to try this product. I am not a medical expert so my review will be based on my experience of drinking it. However, I am aware of the digestive properties of green tea (and have many years experience of drinking it) and Matcha is supposed to be very good in this respect. There are various grades, with ceremonial grade being the best, as used in Japanese tea ceremonies. However, please be aware that there is no legal definition so it can only really be compared with other grades from the same manufacturer.

There are various ways to drink it and I tried it mixed in with fruit juice and hot, strained through a tea strainer. The first method made my juice slightly thicker and turned it a nasty green colour, though taste wise, it was quite pleasant, with a texture somewhere in between plain juice and smoothie. There is a slight aftertaste but it was not unpleasant. I did need to stir for quite a while to remove the clumps. However, when it was fully stirred in, there was no residue at the bottom of the glass.

However, I am a traditionalist so preferred to try it hot. I followed the recommendation and poured water over it through a strainer rather than directly in the cup. This ensures the smoothest possible drink in the shortest time.as it doesn't clump so much. I did find though that despite much stirring, there was still a bit of residue at the bottom but no more so than when making filter coffee from a cafetierre. Maybe I should stir for longer.

Tastewise, the hot version has a stronger flavour than supermarket green tea. The advantage is that this is achieved almost instantly rather than having to wait ages for it to brew. I did find a slight powderiness to the texture but not excessively so. The mint flavour is barely noticeable when drinking but it does leave a slightly minty aftertaste, again not unbearably so.

It can also be drunk as iced tea but adding cold water and ice cubes to the hot liquid but this is not my thing so I have not tried this. I would certainly drink this again, particularly in the hot form.

AmazonBasics Polyester Shower Curtain, 180x180cm, White
AmazonBasics Polyester Shower Curtain, 180x180cm, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Shower Curtain., 7 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a user of several Amazon Basics products, I find that they provide good quality products at good prices. Although I cannot currently comment on the price as it is showing as unavailable, I can confirm that this is a quality product.

The colour is a slightly creamy white rather than pure white and with no pattern, will suit most bathrooms. The curtain is a polyester material and is washable. Just stick it in the machine at 40 degrees. Don't bother drying it, just hang it back up. It comes complete with large plastic hooks for easy fitting.

Remington XR1450 Hyperflex Aqua Plus Rotary Shaver
Remington XR1450 Hyperflex Aqua Plus Rotary Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shaver at a good price, 7 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used rotary shavers for many years and Remington have always been my second favourite brand behind Philips. However, this model comes extremely close.

It is light and comfortable to hold and gives a close and comfortable shave. Being waterproof, it is easy to clean, just wash it under the tap and let it dry. If you don't want to wash it, a brush is supplied. It is charged using a stand, rather than directly. The stand clicks shut when the shaver is inserted, ensuring that it is held secure.

Slightly worrying is the ease with which the head detaches from the main body. Although this makes it easier for cleaning, I found that it comes off when trying to attach or remove the protective cover. I worry that this will cause undue wear and tear.

Although the instructions say to charge for 24 hours before first use, I found that it was already fully charged on receipt. Like most shavers, charging is quick, with a 5 minute quick charge option which gives enough for one shave or a full 90 minute charge, A light on the from gives you a guide to how much charge remains.

This shaver is a lot cheaper than most Philips models so represents very good value for a very good shaver.

Salter 9150 Glass Analyser Electronic BMI Digital Bathroom Scale - Green
Salter 9150 Glass Analyser Electronic BMI Digital Bathroom Scale - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Weighing yourself is easy, just step on and it tells you your ..., 30 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initially I though these scales were faulty as they told me I was too fat but sadly......

Setup is fairly straightforward although, when reading the instructions, I did find that the settings timed out after a short while and I had to start again. However, the menu is quite self explanatory so I managed it without the instructions. The only annoyance I found was that the instructions tell you to press the arrows to change settings. I was pressing the arrows on top of the scales for ages to no avail and only after a couple of minutes did I realise that there are buttons on the top edge of the scale, which are hidden, and it means to press these.

Weighing yourself is easy, just step on and it tells you your weight. If you want BMI readings though, be warned that you have to bend down and press the button then follow the instructions to remain on the scale. This took me three attempts to get right as I kept getting off too quick. I'll be generous and blame me and my impatience for this. You can set readings for up to 8 people (height, age and gender). I generally take BMI with a pinch of salt as different people have naturally different builds but for people who use this system as a guide, it allows you to take regular readings once your initial settings have been input.

Alkaline batteries are supplied so hopefully, it should last a while before I need to replace them

AATU Cat Wet Turkey and Goose Cat Food pack of 16
AATU Cat Wet Turkey and Goose Cat Food pack of 16

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but cat not impressed., 30 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's difficult to review a product when I have only received one sachet, cats being the fickle things they are, but I'll give it a go.
Upon opening the sachet, there is a strong meaty smell, unsurprising since it is 97% meat.

However, when the cat was presented with it, he licked at the gravy then turned his nose up and left it. He generally eats Felix but we have tried other brands and he usually gobbles down wet food eagerly but this one wasn't to his taste. That isn't to say that it is bad, just that my cat didn't like it. Other cat owners may find that their cat enjoys it.

You can't argue with the quality of the product with 97% meat and no filler (the other 3% being traces of fruit and veg etc which cats need in their diets). The only concern is that the weight of the food is 85g compared with 100g in other commercial products. You may need to add extra dry food if your cat eats it.

Neverwhere
Neverwhere
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive edition of a classic, 27 July 2016
This review is from: Neverwhere (Hardcover)
This is one of my favourite books of all time. The new edition comes with illustrations the really bring the story to life. The version here is the author's preferred edition which is essentially a major redraft which basically takes the best bits of the abomination that was the American edition and blends it in with the humour and British references of the original. None of the original story is lost and the whole thing has been improved greatly.

As a bonus, there is an interview with the author and an extra short story featuring the Marquis at the back.

Live At The Lake 2014 [DVD]
Live At The Lake 2014 [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Red Hot Chilli Pipers

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best music DVDs I have seen., 25 July 2016
This review is from: Live At The Lake 2014 [DVD] (DVD)
I had the pleasure of seeing this band live recently and the atmosphere they create is electric. This performance contains a similar and slightly longer performance at a festival in the States, which they say is ther favourite venue to play because of the audience. Whilst you can never get the same atmosphere at home, this is probably the nearest I have seen on a DVD.

The musical content may not be to everyone's tastes but don't be put off by the fact that it is bagpipes. Their style is a fusion of traditional Scottish music and Rock. The music, humour and musical skill of the band has to be seen to be believed.

This isn't just a concert. It is a complete performance.

My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Restoration [Blu-ray] [1964]
My Fair Lady: 50th Anniversary Restoration [Blu-ray] [1964]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off Britain Strikes Again, 25 July 2016
There's something missing here. What is it? Oh yes, the three disc version that was released in America. In Britain we get only the one disc with NO extras whatsoever. I thought the era of treating us Brits as second class citizens by the film companies was long gone but no, it is stil alive and well here.

So, if you want the (old) documentary as well as the new restoration, you have to buy the film twice. If you want the new extras, you can go whistle.

I fully expect Paramount to wait until all interested parties have bought this vanilla version and then release a "deluxe" version containing the missing extras that should have been on this edition in order to persuade us t buy it again.

My Fair Lady? My Unfair Lady more like.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20