Profile for J. Roberts > Reviews

Content by J. Roberts

J. Roberts (Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue (Large)
Garmin Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue (Large)

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful at first, but one annoying flaw!, 17 Feb. 2015
I found the Vivosmart very useful at the beginning. The bluetooth connections to your phone make it handy to read text messages and to see who's calling before you decide to find your phone, but there is one serious drawback to this product, which is the vibration every time the Vivosmart connects or disconnects to your phone via bluetooth. This isn't an issue when you're out running as your phone is always within range, but if you're wearing it at home and your phone is in one particular room, you're constantly bothered by the vibration on your wrist and the bluetooth connection fails and is established, and fails, and is established etc etc. It became such an annoyance that I no longer wear it anymore.

Acase Collatio Genuine Leather Wallet Case for Apple iPhone 5 / 5S - Vintage Brown and Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Blocks the light sensor on an iPhone5, 22 May 2014
The case is made from good quality materials and looks like it'll last a while, however there seems to be a significant flaw in that the cover blocks the light sensor on the front of the iPhone which means the screen is always dark as there's an assumption that the room is also dark.

The Trip to Italy [DVD]
The Trip to Italy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Whaddaya Got?, 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Trip to Italy [DVD] (DVD)
I was compelled to write this review after reading the 1 star effort by the chap who didn't seem to understand that:

a) this isn't real - it's a mostly improvised melancholic comedy
b) Coogan and Brydon play caricature versions of themselves, particularly emphasising their negative personality traits.

I found this series more of an event to watch as you can't deny the beauty of their surroundings which they seem to take more for granted, further emphasising their celebrity status. Some of the improvised scenes, especially their commentary on The Dark Knight are pure genius and I also learnt plenty about Byron and Shelley too.

Where to go on the next trip? I'd like to see The Trip to Japan.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 10:46 PM BST

kolay® Apple iPhone 5 Black Tape Gel Case Cover + Screen Protector & Mini Stylus Pen

2.0 out of 5 stars Too baggy for an iPhone 5, 29 Oct. 2012
When I received this case I found that it was a very poor fit and would easily come loose. I've never used it since and never will, but as it was so cheap I'm not all that bothered about returning it.

SolarCentre Curve Solar Motion Light
SolarCentre Curve Solar Motion Light
Offered by SolarCentre®

5.0 out of 5 stars Discrete,surprisingly powerful, 30 Aug. 2012
I purchased four of these lights for my garden and after initially being surprised how small they are I installed them (just two screws with rawl plugs) and I've been very happy since. They emit a nice soft glow after dark and brighten up nicely when I or my dogs pass near them. They're exactly what I wanted - no maintenance, no wiring, no costs after purchase, twilight soft glo and light up brightly when somebody approaches. I have had them for just over a month now and have no complaints whatsoever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 11:09 AM GMT

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, poor build quality., 28 Dec. 2011
After having owned these ear buds for a week or so, the plastic casing separated from the aluminium inner and would not click back together again. To RHA's credit, they dispatched a new pair straight away and all was well for a number of months, until the removable plastic buds started to slip off whilst the 'phones were stored in my bag. On a number of occasions I would lose the buds and be lucky enough to find them again. As soon as the first bud was well and truly lost, the 'phones were no longer useable as the others that come with the packaging did not fit my ear properly. Now I've lost both and the 'phones are no longer used and I'm looking for a different pair from a different manufacturer.

On the positive side, when they work they sound great for the money. I just wish they lasted longer than a few months.

***UPDATE 10th May 2012***

Unfortunately, my replaced pair of ear buds have again broken in the same place as my first pair, so I would definitely say there's a manufacturing fault somewhere down the line. Just like the first time, when I pulled the buds out of my ear the metal casing detached from the plastic and it's almost impossible to get it back on again without using glue which I'd rather not have in my ears! RHA have been excellent with their customer service (replacing the first pair and providing lost buds for free), however I can't help but continue to rate this product 2/5 for the overall build quality. I prefer to buy British so I'll be looking for a different set of headphones or earbuds from RHA.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2012 10:53 AM GMT

Roomba 563 Pet Vacuum Cleaner
Roomba 563 Pet Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without it now..., 29 Mar. 2011
I bought the 563 model because I have three dogs and I wanted the additional cleaning ability that comes with it, however having used my Roomba for a few months now I can safely say that it doesn't really give you any additional cleaning abilities over and above the model previous. The 563 comes with an additional extra large debris bin but I've never used it as the standard sized bin that you would get with the 560 is plenty big enough and comes with the particle filter which is missing from the extra large version. The additional brushes that come with this model are also pretty unnecessary providing you maintain them regularly.

With that one word of warning out the way, I have to say that my Roomba has been a revelation! It gets used at least once every day (usually coming on around 3pm whilst I'm at work) and simply needs its bin emptied when I get home and every couple of days I clean the brushes/bearings as you are asked to by iRobot.

If you are chosing this version because you have shedding dogs, you may find that Roomba asks you to clean it's brushes even if you have already done so. In this case, it is most likely that hairs have been pulled into the gearbox and are causing Roomba to detect resistance, giving you Error 2. Check online for instructions to access the gearbox (behind the square holes that your brushes fit into), remove the cogs and give them a good clean. This usually ensures smooth running for a number of weeks before I need to do it again. It's dead easy and just requires a couple of cross head screwdrivers - trust me it'll breath new life into your robot buddy.

Look after it and it'll keep your floors clean every day.

The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Addison

5.0 out of 5 stars Best political comedy since Yes Minister., 29 Mar. 2011
This has to be one of the best TV shows out of the UK for several years. It's sharp as a tack yet quintessentially British and instantly loveable. Kudos to the cast for making their characters so likeable yet utterly dispicable at the same time. Arise Sir Peter Capaldi!!

Canon Digital IXUS 120 IS Digital Camera - Black (12.1 Megapixel, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Never lets you down..., 30 Mar. 2010
I bought this camera ahead of a four month trip across Asia and I wanted something easy to carry, great battery life and very durable. So far I've been absolutely delighted with this camera and in comparison to the many travellers I have met along the way, this device takes far better pictures.

The camera has stood up to a severe beating in four months as I never carry it in its case as I find it slows down my chances of taking that perfect shot. As a result there's a few scratches from keys and coins but it still performs amazingly well.

Battery life is beyond belief - typical 3-5 days with heavy usage. I prefer to use this camera in 'P' mode, not Auto as you can change all the settings as per a typical SLR. Some of the shooting functions like Macro for ultra-close-up shots and Fireworks for long exposure/no light settings are very effective and I had great fun experimenting with them. I twinned my camera with a 16GB SDHC card and got 4500 shots at 12.2 megapixels.

This camera has been roughed up, dropped, abused etc but still takes amazing shots for something so compact. User interface is simple and I'd encourage experimenting with the Program function to get the best possible shots. Try turning the flash off for darker/indoor shots as it sometimes looks much better...

A great purchase, and I'm very very happy. If I lost it tomorrow I'd buy another one without hesitation.

Lifeventure Pocket Wallet - Black
Lifeventure Pocket Wallet - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect BUT..., 30 Mar. 2010
I bought this wallet from Amazon at the end of 2009 ahead of a planned 4 month trip across Asia which I knew my existing wallet wouldn't be suitable for. I wanted something compact, secure and durable.

This wallet is a good size for travelling, and is more than big enough to carry 5 or 6 cards (doubled up in the 3 slots available), a few coins in the little pocket and a healthy wad of notes. The material itself is very durable and held up well to the onslaughts of round the world travel, HOWEVER my one and only criticism of this product is the construction quality of the two zips....

On a number of occasions the zip 'tag' disattached from the mechanism and I was very lucky not to lose it in the process. I realised that the zip wasn't clasping the tag properly so I clamped it shut with a pair of pliers and the problem hasn't reocurred since. However I wasn't so lucky with the zip tag for the rear pocket, which I think must be somewhere in Vietnam!

In the last few days the main zip has broken and I cannot reattach it as the beginning of the zip is hidden in the middle of the wallet.

So, to sum up, when the zip was working this wallet was excellent. Without the zip it's a bit of a mess. Luckily I'm going home next week. This wallet lasted five months in total so I'm hoping for a free replacement.

Page: 1 | 2