Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Dude, Where's My Career?: The Guide for Baffled Graduates
Dude, Where's My Career?: The Guide for Baffled Graduates
by Tanya de Grunwald

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 12 Sept. 2008
From one previously bewildered graduate to another - you need this book.

Whether you are a recent graduate floundering in the sea of career possibilities out there, or a second jobber with a bit of experience searching for a career change, this book will help to guide you through the quagmire of job hunting.

Intimidated and not really knowing where to start (who doesn't feel like that after university?) Dude Where's My Career approaches the task in a practical and friendly manner. By busting major myths about the working world, and including useful advice from The Careers Group, it helped to quell the fears which rose in me when I realised that I was living back at home with no real direction and had to work out what to do with the next stage of my life.

The step by step written exercises in the three day plan made me focus on the task in hand, allowed me to pinpoint my own strengths and made me consider a range of jobs which might be worth investigating (some of which I had entirely written off beforehand).

Another aspect of the book which I found particularly helpful was the way in which it deals with the negative emotions which can surface during job hunting, like panic, fear and a lack of self confidence (which came unannounced as I certainly had not felt that way at university). It was good to know that I wasn't alone in feeling overwhelmed and the tips and hints helped me to look at things positively, which consequently improved my attitude and made me much more productive in finding a direction and my subsequent job hunting.

I would seriously recommend Dude Where's My Career: it is helpful, reassuring and will help you to realise that looking for a career can be a manageable rather than an intimidating task.

Lost in the Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Adventure and Survival
Lost in the Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Adventure and Survival
by Yossi Ghinsberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the Jungle - A must read for travel and adventure lovers, 26 Aug. 2008
I loved this book - yes in parts it maybe the writing style isn't as polished as some books you see on the shelf, but I feel this only highlights how young Yossi was when he took this trip and reflects a young man's voice. The story feels real and raw, rather than it has been tampered with and over edited. Absolutely amazing story which shows unbelievable strength of character, in short a real page turner which I would thoroughly recommend.

What's Really in Your Basket: An Easy to Use Guide to Food Additives & Cosmetic Ingredients: An Easy to Use Guide to Food Additives and Cosmetic Ingredients
by Bill Statham

5.0 out of 5 stars A suprise handbag essential!, 28 April 2008
I've always been concerned about the huge list of E-numbers on the back of some food products. What actually are E-numbers and what are they doing to my body?

This handy pocket sized book (which fits nicely in a handbag) turned out to be a great buy which tells you all about E numbers used in food and cosmetics.

Using a simple 'traffic-light' colour coded system, safe E numbers are highlighted in green, with more questionable ones in yellow and red.

Full names and descriptions also help to give a great insight into what is really in your basket!