Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for emma who reads a lot > Reviews

Content by emma who reads...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 683

emma who reads a lot (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hallmark Funny Mother's Day Card "No Salad" - Medium
Hallmark Funny Mother's Day Card "No Salad" - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars good funny card, 18 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Made me laugh, which is surely what we want!

Riemann P20 SPF20 Continuous Spray
Riemann P20 SPF20 Continuous Spray

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get past the odour, 18 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sure this is a high quality sunscreen but I just absolutely hate hate the smell. It's a slightly oily, unperfumed, sort of almost engine-y smell. To me, it almost has the tang of WD40. It may well be the propellant, as another reviewer suggested, but I can't put that on my skin. I would rather reapply cream six times a day, and smell good, than this. Sorry Riemann, I'm SURE the product is good, but I can't use it.

Spear & Jackson Razorsharp 18-30 Inch Telescopic Ratchet Bypass Lopper
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp 18-30 Inch Telescopic Ratchet Bypass Lopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended nifty loppers, 10 Mar. 2017
Yep, I've had Spear and Jackson loppers for about six years now, used them for all sorts: one thing I find particularly useful is that they are sharp enough (still!) to do a good cut, but that they are also gentle enough that you can pull a twig or branch down that's already been cut, without chopping it in half. I find that really handy as I do a lot of chopping of wisteria etc and half the job is picking the bits that you've chopped back out the remaining growth. Would highly recommend. Rubber handles have lasted well, too, and they are extremely quick and handy to telescope and un-telescope. Recommended.

Addis Soft Dustpan Set Metallic
Addis Soft Dustpan Set Metallic

5.0 out of 5 stars nice affordable dustpan, 10 Mar. 2017
Really like this dustpan and brush. The brush is very, very soft, which means it's really good for doing that fine dust that seems to lurk after you've swept with a coarser broom. I like the way the handle and tray click together, and I really like the rubber edge to the dustpan to give the bits you sweep up a bit of help in!!

Addis Roll Top Bin Lid, Soft Black, 50 Litre, 3-Piece
Addis Roll Top Bin Lid, Soft Black, 50 Litre, 3-Piece

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, decent, affordable bin !, 10 Mar. 2017
I really like this bin. It doesn't have too much annoying plastic structural moulding inside, making it much easier to clean than my old bin. And I really like the lid. The thing about more expensive bins is that they have spring mechanisms to break on you, and then you keep the bin because it cost so much that you feel guilty about chucking it. I love my plain Addis cheap bin!

New KS1 Maths SAT Buster: 10-Minute Tests
New KS1 Maths SAT Buster: 10-Minute Tests
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars a good little maths test book with 10 tests taking 10 minutes each, 8 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think these are ideal for school term practice when you really do not want your child to be having to do too much. They already do a lot of school, so for me, a little ten minute practice every now and again is just right. Each ten minute test (there are 10 in the book) has ten questions, and there is space for working and for marking, just like there will be on the real test.

It also gives them a positive learning experience, as they try to work against the clock, and keeps the energy upbeat and fun, hopefully. These aren't the absolute hardest SATS maths questions I've seen - (Letts Revise had "what is 3/4 of 48" which I think is pretty tricky...) but they are a good standard for practicing for the twenty questions in twenty minutes paper they have to sit in May.

Some people will think (like I do) that 7 is too young for this sort of testing, but if our kids are going to be tested, I want mine to have as unstressful and positive an experience as possible, and that means being prepared. This is a great little way of working towards that.

New KS1 English SATS Practice Papers: Pack 2 (for the 2017 tests and beyond)
New KS1 English SATS Practice Papers: Pack 2 (for the 2017 tests and beyond)
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Actual practice papers, as realistically presented as possible., 8 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perfect practice opportunity. These come sealed in a brown envelope, as they will do at exam time, and your child has to write their name on the front cover and the name of their school, just like they will in the actual SAT. There are marking scheme notes down the side of the pages, and the back cover reads 'BLANK PAGE', which my son found extremely amusing, chortling and saying 'well it's not blank then!", so it's good we got that gag out the way before May :-)

I found it really useful to see the actual layout style of the exams themselves, and I think it's useful for them to have actual exam practice. For me, I want my son to have as positive an experience of being tested as possible, and that means being properly prepared, knowing his writing needs to be readable and punctuation in the right place. This is a great way of showing him what he'll experience on the actual day, thus lessening the stress.

Etekcity Digital Body Fat Analyzer Bathroom Scale, 28st/180kg/400lb, Measures Weight, Body Fat, Hydration, Bone, Muscle and More
Offered by Etekcity Corporation

4.0 out of 5 stars Good usable scale with bodyfat analyser., 8 Mar. 2017
This is a really good scale in lots of ways. I wanted a scale to measure bodyfat, not just my weight, and for the price this is one of the best bargains out there. I don't think the controls are totally intuitive to use, but soon got the hang of it. You do need to read the instructions! The only thing I find slightly annoying is that to do the bodyfat thing, you have to get off the scales, press and button and then wait for a second or two, then step back on. For me, that's just v slightly annoying. If I didn't have to do that, I'd probably give them 5/5. But this is what Amazon reviews are for, right, to tell you the pathetic little niggles?
(Also, although this isn't the scales' fault, this scale weighs quite a lot higher than my old one. So in swapping over to new scales, I also 'gained' 5lb, even though I didn't change weight. That was slightly depressing!)
All in all, though, great, and one other plus is that it uses AAA instead of lithium batteries so if it runs out I don't have to hunt for special batteries.

The Girls
The Girls
by Emma Cline

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not get, 27 Feb. 2017
This review is from: The Girls (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just did not really enjoy or get into this book. I'm not saying it was bad, I just couldn't get into it. The prose style is very foregrounded and I felt that I had difficulty understanding what the writer was aiming for.

Black Activity Tracker , FITEEN Fitness Tracker Watch with Heart Rate Monitor,Smart Fitness Band Bluetooth 4.0, IP67 Waterproof Pedometer Wristband
Offered by FITEEN

4.0 out of 5 stars Think carefully about what you want from a fitness tracker, because this might be a MUCH better option, 8 Feb. 2017
Really like this product! Especially because it was so cheap!
I was going to buy a fitbit for over a hundred quid, then wondered exactly how long I'd actually use one for. What i really wanted was the heart monitor.
Downloaded the app very easily, and it's fun to use -and has really really made a difference to what I do. Already going for longer walks and celebrating when i hit 10,000 steps (on top of my gym stuff).
DOWNSIDES: I've noted the same issue as others with the sleep element not noting you've gone to sleep till after 11 -o'clock, and I DO think the strap is annoyingly difficult to fasten. The other thing that might make you decide against is that the app won't sync with your other fitness trackers (like MyFitnessPal) as a fitbit would.
Those are the only drawbacks I've noted, though, after a few weeks of use. It's a useful way to plot the amount I'm doing, roughly, and that's what I wanted; and at £25 to me that is a HUGE saving and well worth it.
Also, absolutely NO ONE has clocked that it isn't a 'real' fitbit; everyone just assumes it is. So I was a bit worried about wearing something that looked 'cheap' and that completely was unfounded.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20