Profile for emma who reads a lot > Reviews

Content by emma who reads...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 735

emma who reads a lot (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
What It Means When A Man Falls From The Sky: The stunning short story collection from the Caine Prize shortlisted author
by Lesley Nneka Arimah

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCEPTIONALLY good., 23 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really exceptional book of stories. Some of my favourite short story writers are Alice Munro, David Foster Wallace, Javier Marias, Frank O'Connor: I really feel like Nneka Arimah is right up there with the gods! From the moment the book began, with a story that played with the reader so powerfully, I was drawn in. There is Nigeria, there is America, there are ghosts, mobile phones, killings, tendernesses, wars, motherhood, magic, confidence tricks, medical costs, bereavement, horrible choices, accident compensation, LOVE.... All mixed around with the most incredible confidence, and narrative skill. Felt more like i was watching a great footballer getting away from the defence, or a fabulous acrobat, at times. She is just exceptionally skilled but also has a huge heart. Really so excited to see what comes NEXT.

Scholl Light Legs Compression Tights 20, Den Black X-Large
Scholl Light Legs Compression Tights 20, Den Black X-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tight compression tights for those who genuinely need them, 23 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I quite liked these tights, but they are (surprise surprise) REALLY tight. They aren't just for people who get tired legs, they are most suitable I'd say for people who genuinely fear for their circulation (for example, taking a long flight) as I found them uncomfortable enough to question the trade-off, myself! Good quality, heavy duty, does what it says on the packet.

KS2 Maths and English SATS Practice Papers (updated for the 2017 tests) - Pack 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set of example papers, 23 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Found these very useful. I know there is MUCH debate about preparing or not preparing for testing, especially at the mere age of 6 or 7. However my kid I felt would benefit from being prepared, and seeing the questions in an actual booklet was helpful. It just helped him know what would happen on the day, what the "booklets" (the school code term for the SATS!) would appear like and how he'd work through them. Really useful set and good value I thought too.

New KS1 Maths SAT Buster: Reasoning (for the 2017 tests and beyond)
New KS1 Maths SAT Buster: Reasoning (for the 2017 tests and beyond)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reasoning helper!, 23 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very useful - the reasoning section is one of the hardest to practice without example questions, because obviously you can help your kid do addition and subtraction but showing reasoning is sort of a specialist skill. Really fun as always from CGP, good layout and thoughtful colourful approach, building each step. Recommend.

Hallmark Funny Mother's Day Card "No Salad" - Medium
Hallmark Funny Mother's Day Card "No Salad" - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars good funny card, 18 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Made me laugh, which is surely what we want!

Riemann P20 SPF20 Continuous Spray
Riemann P20 SPF20 Continuous Spray

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get past the odour, 18 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sure this is a high quality sunscreen but I just absolutely hate hate the smell. It's a slightly oily, unperfumed, sort of almost engine-y smell. To me, it almost has the tang of WD40. It may well be the propellant, as another reviewer suggested, but I can't put that on my skin. I would rather reapply cream six times a day, and smell good, than this. Sorry Riemann, I'm SURE the product is good, but I can't use it.

Spear & Jackson Razorsharp 18-30 Inch Telescopic Ratchet Bypass Lopper
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp 18-30 Inch Telescopic Ratchet Bypass Lopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended nifty loppers, 10 Mar. 2017
Yep, I've had Spear and Jackson loppers for about six years now, used them for all sorts: one thing I find particularly useful is that they are sharp enough (still!) to do a good cut, but that they are also gentle enough that you can pull a twig or branch down that's already been cut, without chopping it in half. I find that really handy as I do a lot of chopping of wisteria etc and half the job is picking the bits that you've chopped back out the remaining growth. Would highly recommend. Rubber handles have lasted well, too, and they are extremely quick and handy to telescope and un-telescope. Recommended.

Addis Soft Dustpan Set Metallic
Addis Soft Dustpan Set Metallic

5.0 out of 5 stars nice affordable dustpan, 10 Mar. 2017
Really like this dustpan and brush. The brush is very, very soft, which means it's really good for doing that fine dust that seems to lurk after you've swept with a coarser broom. I like the way the handle and tray click together, and I really like the rubber edge to the dustpan to give the bits you sweep up a bit of help in!!

Addis Roll Top Bin Lid, Soft Black, 50 Litre, 3-Piece
Addis Roll Top Bin Lid, Soft Black, 50 Litre, 3-Piece

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, decent, affordable bin !, 10 Mar. 2017
I really like this bin. It doesn't have too much annoying plastic structural moulding inside, making it much easier to clean than my old bin. And I really like the lid. The thing about more expensive bins is that they have spring mechanisms to break on you, and then you keep the bin because it cost so much that you feel guilty about chucking it. I love my plain Addis cheap bin!

New KS1 Maths SAT Buster: 10-Minute Tests
New KS1 Maths SAT Buster: 10-Minute Tests
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars a good little maths test book with 10 tests taking 10 minutes each, 8 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think these are ideal for school term practice when you really do not want your child to be having to do too much. They already do a lot of school, so for me, a little ten minute practice every now and again is just right. Each ten minute test (there are 10 in the book) has ten questions, and there is space for working and for marking, just like there will be on the real test.

It also gives them a positive learning experience, as they try to work against the clock, and keeps the energy upbeat and fun, hopefully. These aren't the absolute hardest SATS maths questions I've seen - (Letts Revise had "what is 3/4 of 48" which I think is pretty tricky...) but they are a good standard for practicing for the twenty questions in twenty minutes paper they have to sit in May.

Some people will think (like I do) that 7 is too young for this sort of testing, but if our kids are going to be tested, I want mine to have as unstressful and positive an experience as possible, and that means being prepared. This is a great little way of working towards that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20