Profile for mc > Reviews

Sea of Poppies: Ibis Trilogy Book 1
Sea of Poppies: Ibis Trilogy Book 1
by Amitav Ghosh

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful storytelling, 6 May 2015
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Had me hooked from the first page, and even though there was much about this period that I knew nothing about, I found this rich novel educative, entertaining and as addictive as the poppies themselves. Masterful storytelling from an author who was new to me when I was first recommended this book by a colleague: I have now passed this novel on several times, as well as reading everything I can by Ghosh. Quite simply, the best book I have read in years, bar none.

by Robin Jenkins

1.0 out of 5 stars patronising rubbish, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Changeling (Paperback)
The Changeling
Patronising portrayal of a working class slum in 1950'sGlasgow, even more patronising portrayal of a teacher in such an area. Plus Jenkins is a dreadful writer, whose prose reads like a pale imitation of a very poor version of a West of Scotland Catherine Cookson on a bad day. As they say in Glasgow - MINCE!

New Morning
New Morning

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: New Morning (Audio CD)
So underrated. A brilliant album, with Dylan's voice never sounding sweeter. A real classic, and one which stands the test of time.

Independence Day: Bascombe Trilogy (2) (Vintage Contemporaries)
Independence Day: Bascombe Trilogy (2) (Vintage Contemporaries)
by Richard Ford

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing sequel, 3 Aug. 2011
Sportswriter was excellent, a 4 not quite 5 star novel which actually depicted sports stars quite originally, accurately and un-dramatically. But this was dull, dull, dull and took me an age to read. I still care about Frank Bascombe, but only just.

Whatever Works [DVD] [2010]
Whatever Works [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Larry David
Offered by rightpricediscs

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 20 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Whatever Works [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I am a real fan of Woody, but really do not like this film at all. I don't normally mind the cliched older man/younger woman story in his other movies, because I believe this is often done as a kind of self-parody - and more importantly it is usually funny. Larry David is not funny, nor can he act. The only thing which saved this dreadful film a little was the appearance of stalwart Patricia Clarkson and her estranged husband Jeff Daniels. Again some cliches in the "hick comes to the big city" stories, but these were genuinely funny and well-acted.
Not since "Stardust Memories" have I seen an Allen film which was so uncomfortable to sit through.And I have seen them all, loved most of them and even when some are below par for the great man, I always, always, get something pleasurable from them, and re-watch them regularly on DVD. But not this one.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 2:34 PM BST

The Beat That My Heart Skipped [2005] [DVD]
The Beat That My Heart Skipped [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romain Duris
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 24 Sept. 2010
Too arty for its own good. Not at all believable. I watched this because of its reviews but I was very disappointed. I love the quirkiness of so many French films, but this one, while watchable, didn't live up to its hype. Tom was far too nervous throughout - like Cain Dingle on too much speed - and how often do you get a reference to Emmerdale in a review of a French film. Enough said.

Whatever Works [Blu-ray] [2009] [US Import]
Whatever Works [Blu-ray] [2009] [US Import]
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 22 Mar. 2010
I am a huge fan of Woody Allen, and sourced a region 2 version of this film from Amazon France.But I don't know Larry David's work well; after this I will avoid it. He does a very poor "impersonation" of Woody, and half way through the movie I realised who he reminded me of - Uncle Junior from the Sopranos, but without the comedy. He is also a dreadful actor.
I preferred the scenes he wasn't in, and there were too few of these. The film improved a little when Melodie's parents arrived, and some decent comedy ensued, but this whole film seemed like a tired rehash of some old Woody ideas, poorly strung together. As another reviewer has stated, I can't believe this is from the same man who gave us Annie Hall, Manhattan etc.Although, having seen "Cassandra's Dream", perhaps I can.

The Last Picture Show [DVD] [2001]
The Last Picture Show [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Timothy Bottoms
Offered by Bee-Entertained

5.0 out of 5 stars a true classic, 19 Mar. 2010
A true classic, in every sense, from the plot to the acting from the entire cast, to the cinematography. Wonderful.

Apres Vous [DVD] [2003]
Apres Vous [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Daniel Auteuil
Offered by TzarKaloyan

4.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly engaging comedy, 17 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Apres Vous [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I enjoyed this, and I don't think it has any pretensions to greatness. Quite tender in parts, and Daniel Auteil is, as always, a very watchable actor, who very quickly gains the viewers' sympathy, as he strives to do the right thing. I do not think, as another reviewer writes, that it trivialises suicide: rather it uses comedy to portray a rather difficult scenario with a degree of sensitivity, as well as some laugh out loud slapstick moments! Not an easy balance to strike, but this film does it very well. The main actors play their parts in an understated way, and I have to say I really enjoyed the whole experience.

I've Loved You So Long [DVD]
I've Loved You So Long [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristin Scott Thomas
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: I've Loved You So Long [DVD] (DVD)
I really looked forward to this, and thought the premise quite interesting. I don't mind slow films which go somewhere, but I found this rather inconsequential. I had lost interest in Scott-Thomas long before this ground to a close. I had hoped there might be some investigation of her motives, not for her "crime" but for keeping quiet about her reasons for committing it. The plotline became very weak here, and I found the character of the little adopted girl a rather annoying, clumsy and Disney-esque inclusion. The "romance" too was introduced then allowed to fizzle away without really going anywhere. The fact that the man had taught in a prison was also chucked in and not developed. A dull film, well acted.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 11:12 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2