Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Scribbles66 > Reviews

Content by Scribbles66

Scribbles66 "pclangdon"

Page: 1 | 2
The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown: Baby Ganesh Agency Book 2
The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown: Baby Ganesh Agency Book 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, not for me!, 8 Dec. 2016
I had read the first volume in the series and thought it was okay although using the phrase "Goons" to describe the villains in the story was a turn off but I decided to give the author the benefit of the doubt and try volume two.
I really wish I hadn't bothered. I just didn't like any of it. Clichéd characters and, by the farthest stretch of the imagination, the prospect of a crime solving elephant is beyond ludicrous.
If you enjoyed it that's great but no, not for me.

No Man's Sky (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ambitous but flawed.., 7 Sept. 2016
This review is from: No Man's Sky (PS4) (Video Game)
Very very dull. Kept crashing, numerous updates, graphics aren't the best and I found it quite hard to make any progress. I think its highly ambitious and I might be missing out on some amazing things but its hard to keep the motivation up when Planet 30 looks like Planet 1 and you cant find a new ship, your inventories are always full and its such a stop start game.
But, that said, if you want some fairly relaxed exploration and have time to spare then go for it...

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 3D - Extended Edition  [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 3D - Extended Edition [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sir Ian McKellen

5.0 out of 5 stars An all round great package!, 24 Nov. 2015
As an avid fan of Peter Jacksons Tolkien adaptations I supposed it's a foregine conclusion that I would give this five stars but, if truth be told, the film is probably with four.
The five stars recognises the whole package, great film, superb extras and an attention to detail I have rarely, if ever seen, in box sets of this type.
The Hobbit is more than just a film, it's an immersive experience backed by hours of in depth extras that, in my experience, add to the film and give great insight into the film making experience. Sets, costumes, actors viewpoints etc really go to prve that this is film making on an epic scale and that the end product is just the tip of the iceberg.
As for the film itself ?. It's an action packed romp played out in subtle yet vibrant 3D. The visuals are spectacular, the acting uniformly good and whilst it will never satisfy the Tolken purists, it's a highly enjoyable and well crafted affair.
The extra 20 minutes add to the experience and, as with all the extended versions, I prefer them to the cinema releases for two reasons. Firstly, they make the films slightly more cohesive in structure and secondly, who wouldn't want to spend as long a possible in Peter Jacksons masterfully realised Middle Earth ?.
Highly recommended!

Vulkan Lives (The Horus Heresy)
Vulkan Lives (The Horus Heresy)
by Nick Kyme

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes its okay, 1 Jun. 2014
Yes its okay but, as with recent books in the series, it doesn't move the heresy along. I felt that it was more a case of "here's a legion we haven't used before so let's give them a book" rather than " let's move the story on a bit". In a way its just a money making exercise as the story gets extended more and more by average books.
The early books were much more enjoyable and better paced but now its all a bit bogged down.
That said, Kyme is a decent writer and he moves the story along at a decent pace. Not great not awful just average overall.

Hydra
Hydra
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I get the criticism ?, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Hydra (Audio CD)
To begin with I have no issues about the production on the album as it sounds fine to me. It may be a little "baseless" and a little clean to some peoples ears but its certainly not a disaster as some appear to think it is.

Putting Rap on a Metal album is, I must admit, not a great idea. That said though its a single track, a good song and the rap element isn't overly intrusive save for the pathetic stereotypical swearword (motherf***er) thrown in for good measure. Why artists of any description find the need to swear is quite beyond me especially as we have such a rich and varied language but there we are.

The rest of the album contains some catchy tunes with all the melodic hooks we have come to expect of WT. Sharon sounds in fine voice and the guest artistes suit their individual contributions well.

The Wolverine [Blu-ray] [2013]
The Wolverine [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 1 Mar. 2014
Its okay.

Always liked Hugh Jackman and found him the perfect fit for Wolverine but I find this sort of "bloodless" violence type film not one thing or another.

I know they want it to be for Kids as they want it to be seen by as many people as possible and I am not posting this as an advocate for increased violence in films but if you have a film in which many people get killed/injured you cant always make that child friendly and bloodless as it becomes unrealistic and very samey. I think Wolverine is a gritty character but that grittiness is diluted by the need for the right rating and box office success.

So far as the story goes its okay - hence the rating

Around India in 80 Trains
Around India in 80 Trains
by Monisha Rajesh

3.0 out of 5 stars Found it slightly dull to be honest, 1 Mar. 2014
I am not sure I agree with Mr Dalrymple that this is wonderfully wry and witty.

Half way through I just found myself getting a bit bored as it seemed I was always waiting for the wry and witty to raise its head.

Its not a bad book and, as I am off to India in a few months, I thought I would catch up on reading some books, both fiction and non-fiction, about the land I will be travelling through. It just didn't grab me I suppose, it didn't make me want to drop everything, hop on a plane and then ride Indias rail network.

I am sure others love it and I am fully prepared to admit that perhaps I expected more or simply wasn't in the right mood when reading it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2014 4:46 AM BST

Sony PS Vita (Wi-Fi only) (PlayStation Vita)
Sony PS Vita (Wi-Fi only) (PlayStation Vita)

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are the games ?, 27 Nov. 2013
I think the Vita is a lovely bit of kit and I haven't had any technical issues with it but in the many months I have owned it the console has spent 95% of the time in the cupboard beacuse there are so few decent games to play on it.
I had a PSP which suffered the same fate and being a bit clumsy and un-coordinated I have found it quite a tricky bit of kit to play well on.
Would love to try some exciting RPGs biut there aren't any.

Bit of a shame really.

Brother L14 Sewing Machine
Brother L14 Sewing Machine
Offered by UK Sewing Machines

5.0 out of 5 stars Partners Birthday Present, 17 Nov. 2013
She loves it and that's the main thing. Its enabled her to make curtains and nets to her hearts content and its both quiet and efficient. Service was lightning fast as well.

From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

2.0 out of 5 stars My Mother says, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
A huge Studio Ghibli fan this, according to her, was just very disappointing and far removed from the classics. As much as she admired the animation she didn't like the characters or think much of the story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2014 12:00 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2