Profile for Mr. S. Poore > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Poore

Mr. S. Poore (Reading, England)

Page: 1 | 2
TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender
TP-LINK TL-WPA281 300Mbps AV200 Wireless N Powerline Extender

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a dream - but be careful !, 3 Jan. 2014
This works like a dream ! Take it out of the box, plug it into a wall power socket & it worked instantly with my existing older powerline boxes. The Wireless connection is now happily feeding my laptop, Android tablet and Nintendo Wii. It broadcast's through a new SID by default rather than extending an existing WiFi signal. The Wired connection is feeding my Humax DVR.

HOWEVER BE CAREFUL - straight out of the box it broadcasts through an open (i.e. password free) SSID which anyone in range could connect to, potentially giving access to your home network. Log onto the device (by default 192.168.0.247) using a web browser and add a wireless password.

Dougal and the Blue Cat (Special Edition) [DVD] [1970]
Dougal and the Blue Cat (Special Edition) [DVD] [1970]
Dvd ~ Eric Thompson
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a long awaited masterpiece on DVD !, 9 Oct. 2010
At last my worn out VHS tape version can be retired to the shelf as I await the release of this long awaited treasure on DVD.

If you never saw the five minutes long children's program "The Magic Roundabout" from the late sixties and early seventies, which appeared on TV every night just before the news, this will be completely lost on you.

If you know and love the characters, then you'll love this longer, darker movie. When Buxton the Blue Cat arrives in the magic garden, Dougal is no longer the centre of attention. Suspicious, Dougal does some investigating and is horrified by what he finds.

Full of topical (for the seventies) references, sarcasm and subtle drug references, no wonder this is a cult classic amongst students. It's great to hear the original voices from Eric Thompson (none of that disappointing 1980's remake stuff). Fenella Fielding is wonderfully cast as ....., well that would be telling !
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 9:35 PM GMT

Panasonic DMR-EZ47 - DVD Recorder & VCR Combination - With 1080P Up-Conversion & Freeview - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars You CAN'T transfer transfer your purchased VHS collection to DVD with this, 20 Dec. 2007
Good
* The Freeview digital tuner images are great (no analogue tuner at all - unlike the earlier EZ45 model I bought for my Mum).
* Electronic Program Guide (EPG) can be configured to remember programs for quick start-up (unlike my Humax).
* Video and DVD images are crisp.
* DVD records and plays every option imaginable (+R, -R, +RW, -RW, DL & RAM - RAM is most flexible).
* It's great for copying home video into DVD, either from VHS or direct from your camcorder via a DV socket.

Bad
* Most commercial video is Macrovision encoded and this device deliberately stops you copying them to DVD - even from an external source.
* Menu and Titling options on home burnt DVDs are not as flexible as I'd like.
* No SD Card input which the earlier EZ45 model had.
* Remote control crowded and hard to find all the options.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2014 6:06 PM BST

Panasonic DMR-EZ47 - DVD Recorder & VCR Combination - With 1080P Up-Conversion & Freeview - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars You CAN'T transfer your purchased VHS collection to DVD with this, 20 Dec. 2007
Good
* Video and DVD images are crisp.

Bad
* Menu and Titling options on home burnt DVDs are not as flexible as I'd like.
* No SD Card input which the earlier EZ45 model had.
* Remote control crowded and hard to find all the options.

The Best Of Rolf Harris
The Best Of Rolf Harris
Offered by Mattpuss

4.0 out of 5 stars A good summary of his work - but where's Two Little Boys ?, 17 Dec. 2007
This review is from: The Best Of Rolf Harris (Audio CD)
While I can't confirm the copy protection issue reported elsewhere, I CAN say this is a pretty good summary of his work.

It's not just a good collection of his comedy songs such as Tie Me Kangaroo, Jake the Peg and Maximillian Mouse, but also shows off some of his Australian "folk" songs such as Wild Rover and Waltzing Matilda as well as some others of his eclectic styles from the gentle Fijian Girl through to his recent bizarre Led Zep cover of Stairway to Heaven.

But how can a "Best Of" NOT feature his UK number 1 "Two Little Boys???" There are plenty of other best of compilations, so you may want to try Disky's compilation "Best of Rolf Harris".

Jam Sessions: Sing & Play Guitar (Nintendo DS)
Jam Sessions: Sing & Play Guitar (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars This is no "Guitar Hero" - It's a real instrument !, 1 Dec. 2007
This is not "Guitar Hero" on a DS. In fact this is not even a game. There might be a few songs to play along with (not that you'll ever have heard of most of them) but this section of the package is light-weight and poorly implemented.

No this is a real instrument! It might sound a bit quiet - but connect it up to a real amp, get a few songs with the chords written out, and you'll be playing along like a real Guitar Hero.

Effects like Distortion and Phasing are hidden away in there for different sounds.

Not convinced? Just search on YouTube for videos of people playing this thing at live gigs!

Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA6OR 6MP MPEG4 Weatherproof Digital Camcorder w/5x Optical Zoom

4.0 out of 5 stars If I lost it, I'd buy another, 12 Sept. 2007
There's a lot to like about this little hybrid camera and camcorder. The size, the price, the zoom range, that its sand and splash proof & the fact it records everything to SD Card.

However most people reading reviews are interested in the problems - so here goes with my opinion.

The unusual vertical design means you'll struggle a bit if you're left handed or have small hands. You're expected to operate it by gripping with the right hand and pushing the button with your thumb. For the still picture button, this can be quite a stretch. The screen only swivels in one direction (it's also effectively the on switch!) & this contributes to it being hard for left handed people to wrap their fingers around it.

Even if you have large hands & are right handed it takes some getting used to. When I've given it to friends to take a picture of me, they're always failed - the button needs a far harder push than people expect, and the zoom rocker gets in the way. This often means you wobble the camera while taking the picture or starting & stopping the video.

The screen does not have a great viewing angle, and because it only swivels in and out, it means I am often taking high and low pictures nearly blind. Its unusual design also means it's surprising hard to hold square onto the horizon!

I found what the scene settings actually did quite surprising & disappointing. For example low light "lamp" mode restricts the image size to just 0.3 Mega Pixels! I could also see no benefit from the 10 Mega Pixel mode.

There doesn't seem to be image stabilisation for stills, but stabilisation works quite well for video.

That all said, the pictures were good, and the video FAR better than I expected - even with MPEG4 compression. And of course, it being an SD Card means downloading is easy. Many still cameras can take MPEG4 video to SD Card, but few have 5x zoom which can be used while filming - making this a true still/video hybrid.

I've never used the in-camera still or video editing - I do it all on my PC.

The bundled software is so-so, but the included MPEG4 codex means I can use the video editor of my choice.

All this makes it sound as if I don't like it - but for the price, size and convenience it's great, and I can take it to "rough" environments without worry. If I lost it, I'd buy another - what more can I say!

Sanyo Xacti CA6 Weatherproof SD Digital Movie Camera [6MP, 5 x optial, 2" silicon colour screen]

4.0 out of 5 stars If I lost it, I'd buy another !, 12 Sept. 2007

I've never used the in-camera still or video editing - I do it all on my PC.

Kingston Technology 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Kingston Technology 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Offered by Uk Fragrances

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, large size, but quite basic, 7 Dec. 2006
Yes it's 2GB. Yes it's cheap. But other than that, it's pretty basic.

There's no data access light, it comes with a tiny, tiny lanyard (I nearly threw it away in the packaging), and you can forget about any driver disk - it's not supported on Win 98 or Win ME.

But hey - it's huge and best of all - it's cheap !!!

**SANDISK CRUZER MICRO 1GB
**SANDISK CRUZER MICRO 1GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than expected, 10 Jan. 2006
Wow - what can I say - this is even better than I expected. I was expecting cheap and tacky for this price, but already I can see this is the best flash drive I own.

The picture shown by Amazon is now correct. It comes with three interchangeable protective covers (Clear, Red, and Blue). Under the replaceable cover, it a single metal case, which is integrated with the USB connector - so there's no worry about the connector breaking away from the body as with other cheap flash drives. It is ultra thin and comes with a long, good quality lanyard. There's a bright green light in the lanyard loop when it's being written to.

The software mentioned in the description comes on the drive itself. However it doesn't come with drivers - you'll need to download them if you have Win98SE or earlier.

Page: 1 | 2