Profile for Martinsci > Reviews

Burgon & Ball Digging Spade: Endorsed by the Royal Horticultural Society
Burgon & Ball Digging Spade: Endorsed by the Royal Horticultural Society
Offered by The Greenhouse People

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality tools, 26 Nov. 2014
I bought both the B&B fork and spade through Amazon last year through another dealer but as the company has changed its merchandise I noticed my review has dropped off. However, I am very pleased with both of them and wanted to reaffirm my review.
These are top quality tools. Very well made and a pleasure to use. They are sturdy and have that 'last a lifetime' feel. There is a sound principle when buying work tools - you get what you pay for - and it applies to these. The tines of the fork are very sturdy and, in the year I have been using it on my large garden, have not bent the tiniest fraction ( compared to some other cheaper forks I have mistakenly bought in the past) while the blade on the spade is still as sharp as new. The stainless steel surfaces make it easy to clean off my clay soil at the end of the day. If you are starting out in gardening then invest in these, they will be with you for a long time. If you are already a gardener try them for feel and balance in your local garden centre before telling someone who cares about you to buy you them for Christmas / birthday.

Burgon & Ball Stainless Large Digging Fork 111cm
Burgon & Ball Stainless Large Digging Fork 111cm
Offered by The Greenhouse People

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality tools., 26 Nov. 2014

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun for a while, remarkably cheap but NOT FOR CHILDREN, 6 Oct. 2014
Amazing cheap for such a piece of technology. A minnie laser with four more interchangeable heads for less than £4 including postage from Japan. How is that done? I saw these being sold by street vendors on a recent holiday in Italy and was sufficiently intrigued to ask how much they were. Then came the predictable next half hour of being followed around by the vendor where we went from: "15 Euros", "You have to be kidding" to "12 Euros", "No thanks, I didn't really want one anyway" to "8 Euros", "Oh okay then" to then find them for less than £4 on Amazon when I got back! So I bought 2 more. Oh well, at least he made a sale that night.
I had thought of giving them as presents to grandchildren but realise that would be very stupid as they are lasers and I don't want the risk of them looking in to the light source so they are staying in a hidden drawer and are only going to be to used by me to make pretty patterns on the ceiling, or perhaps on winter snow, when the kids come to stay.
You will need 2 AAA batteries and it does matter which way round you put them in so check the polarity if it doesn't work first time

Crystal Mining
Crystal Mining

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a 4th birthday present for my great nephew who had become excited with discovering fossils after ..., 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Crystal Mining (Toy)
Bought as a 4th birthday present for my great nephew who had become excited with discovering fossils after his summer holiday near Lyme Regis. He loved it. My niece bought him a guinea pig. He said the crystal mining kit was his "...best present ever!" so the guinea pig is on e-bay (just kidding)

Thomas & Friends My FirstThomas
Thomas & Friends My FirstThomas

5.0 out of 5 stars How come a 3 year old child in Australia who has never seen a train let never mind a steam train can love an engine with a face, 6 Oct. 2014
Ah Thomas .... How come a 3 year old child in Australia who has never seen a train let never mind a steam train can love an engine with a face so much? On our weekly Skype he runs to show me he still has his beloved birthday present.

Skechers Womens Go Walk 2 Hyper Athletic and Outdoor Sandals 13954 Charcoal 6 UK, 39 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite shoes, 6 Oct. 2014
MY wife LOVES these shoes and so I am now having to trawl the internet to find the most economic way of keeping her in: best pair / going round the shops pair / wearing in the house pair / summer garden pair.

Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope
Natural History Museum Pocket Microscope

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed birthday boy who will now need future counselling having ..., 6 Oct. 2014
It didn't work. Bought this to go along with the gem mining kit - which went down very well - as part of my great-nephew's 4th birthday but although both I and his father tried every combination of batteries etc. we couldn't get it to illuminate. Disappointed birthday boy who will now need future counselling having witnessed his father and great uncle totally unable to make a plastic toy work on his birthday. We had hoped he would grow up to be an archaeologist or mineralogist but now he will probably only end up as an investment banker in The City.

BLACK+DECKER GLC3630L20-GB 36V Cordless Strimmer with 2.0Ah Li battery & battery charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 30 Jun. 2014
I have a fairly big garden, 100yds by about 50ft, which has lots of beds and lawn so there are lots of edges and odd places to strim. This copes with them easily. I leave it on charge in the shed and when I have finished mowing the grass I go round using this strimmer to tidy up. Switching from horizontal to vertical strimming takes seconds. It has always completed the job without needing recharging. It is comfortable, light and powerful enough for the growth in my garden. I can't comment on how it will deal with lots of really tough undergrowth, because I haven't got any, so I'll leave that for other reviewers.

Oxford Reading Tree Read at home Songbirds Phonics Collection Julia Donaldson 36 Books Set Pack RRP: £128.82 (Stage 1,2,3,4,5,6) (Read at Home)
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable resource at a remarkable price, 30 Jun. 2014
Like a lot of grandparents, I have spent a small fortune over the last few years on things for my grandchildren. I am happy to do this but do feel a bit 'ripped-off', as they used to say when I was young, by the cost of some comics, toys etc. I keep a stash of reading books for when the children come to visit but get the feeling that many of these are published, understandably, with a view to their shelf appeal more than their reading level. I have to say that some of the bedtime stories, published by well known multinationals, have a reading structure more in line with Joyce's Ulyses than a children's story. One granddaughter is hesitant with her reading and was becoming insecure over it so I wanted some more structured books to boost her confidence. I was quite amazed to see these 36 books offered for less than £20 and bought them on a 'I'll give them a try' basis. They have been a real success. Okay, they are not all the most exciting stories in the world but they start from very simple and progress, in a nicely structured way, to some quite complex word structures. There is lots of repetition to build on word structures such as 'eigh' or 'ay' and, although I don't know much about the theories of teaching children to read, they seem to have a sound learning sequence. My granddaughter likes the way they are colour coded in a neat plastic folder. When she comes round at the end of a school day she picks ones she likes and reads them to me. If she is tired she chooses an easy one to reinforce her confidence and if she is feeling more adventurous she picks 'harder ones' and tries those. As a result she has grown both in confidence and in her ability to deal with reading. What is more much important is that she is enjoying her success and hopefully will soon be able to return to the bedtime books that proved so difficult before.
I don't know if these books are subsidised but, if they are, ... thanks.

1 X 1L ROSATE GREEN VERY STRONG PROFESSIONAL GLYPHOSATE WEEDKILLER
1 X 1L ROSATE GREEN VERY STRONG PROFESSIONAL GLYPHOSATE WEEDKILLER
Offered by Gardener's Dream Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY dilution saves you money, 22 May 2014
I am a big fan of Glyphosate as a weedkiller. As it works by preventing the plant from building an essential amino acid (which is needed to produce the plant's own proteins) it is very effective on rapidly growing plants but, as animals get this amino acid from their diet and do not need to synthesise it, Glyphosate has potentially no harmful effects on animals. Okay, if you drink it or wash your face in it then you are in for trouble but the same can be said for half the liquids in most homes. A quick internet search shows that the the various world health organisations do not regard Glyphosate as a risk to human health. I will avoid the debate about whether using any herbicide is a problem because of environmental disruption because almost any human activity has some effect somewhere.
If you cannot be bothered to buy yourself a sprayer and then simply measure out a small amount of glyphosate, dilute it with waster and spray it on your weeds then go in to your local garden centre and pay an extortionate amount of money for a 'ready to use option (You will then throw away the sprayer and add to global pollution). If, like me, you: (a). Can mix water with glyphosate and (b). You like to save money then buy this and you will have enough herbicide to last many years. It is very concentrated.
Practical tips: Don't expect overnight results, you are killing the plant by depriving it of protein and, depending on how much protein the plant already has in its tissues, it will take some time to work.
It has to be absorbed so waxy leaved plants like ivy may need repeat spraying but wait for a few weeks in between..
If you have creeping weeds, like bindweed, intermingled with your precious plants try carefully untwining them, folding them in a plastic bag, and then spraying so the glyphosate is contained in the bag.
Don't spray even if it is just breezy! You will kill off surrounding plants. Be patient and wait for a still day day!
Buy a small hand sprayer and get up close and personal to your the weeds that really annoy you.
UPDATE june 2015 Having said all that I now read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/roundup-weedkiller-banned-from-french-garden-centres-over-probable-link-to-cancer-10319877.html
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 10:45 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3