Profile for patsy > Reviews

Content by patsy

patsy

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Dead Lucky (DCI Michael Lambert, Book 2)
Dead Lucky (DCI Michael Lambert, Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the second book I have read by this ..., 22 Aug. 2016
This is the second book I have read by this author. And again, I was gripped to begin with, yet found myself reading many pages and getting nowhere at times. Slightly repetitive with different systems, routes of detection work and people involved. The same irritating habit of using first names, then surnames, with so many characters was also irksome. The plot was well planned and I really didn't see a connection (as in the story) but found it very believable when the jigsaw fitted together.

I probably knew, before Lambert, who the perpetrator was! Characters however, I just couldn't get to grips with. I foudn the romance between Tillman and Matilda implausible. And I didn't have a clue about Matilda and her much mentioned issues with Walker? As for her father, either I missed something or the author forgot to wrap this section up??

My issues are that the identity of the attacker just didn't match the amount of immediate and accurate information he came across. Unless it was a simple bugging device on Lambert's phone? And in which case,how amateur of them all!! And the red herrings - croations, DC Harrogate, the drugs (which we never heard the outcome of) and the very ending itself!

Did Matilda survive? His relation with with his wife and new baby? His own romance? Tillman/Walker scenario ? And so much more......just felt a bit 'and then we all went home for tea' ??

Dead Eyed (DCI Michael Lambert, Book 1)
Dead Eyed (DCI Michael Lambert, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts out well ......, 13 Aug. 2016
Well I can see I'm in the minority here. And I must admit, this started out as a really good read for me.....really gripped as the mystery deepened. But at times I'd find myself reading 20-30 pages and wondering what I'd just read....? Did this plot actually move on, has something developed or did my mind shut down? As anotehr review states, the mix of cops between London and Bristol and the divisions within, were confusing. Especially the use of surnames which I found slightly irritating.

But more than anythng, whilst I enjoyed the plot as a whole, there were such tenuous links that it became less credible just after half way ..... As for Lambert's technique...why on earth would some minister of a weird church, still have details of a members husband (estranged for many years) which he was expected to give to our dear old Lambert......As for poor old Klansky - how many ways can a person describe how drunk, disheveled, spaced out someone is. As in, every time he is featured!?

Sarah May has her own issues - suddenly appearing two thirds of the way into this read.....and just as quickly obliterated so I'm not sure what purpose this back story served? Her own moral yardstick or what?

But more than anything my three stars is because of the sheer incredulity at the prolonged ending and the lack of insight into the real villain of the piece.....I still have no idea why Campbell shot himself (why on earth would Lambert, asking about Sarah May fill him with enugh fear to end his life?!!). Why the abduction of Klansky (from Bristol) became a sudden change of heart? To be spared another day or so -- is it likely he would have fallen for it again- to end so horribly?? As for Campbell, a bona fide counsellor suddenly turning hapless souls over to an evil monster to meet a gruesome fate? None of which was properly explained yet lots of inconsequential detail littered throughout this book.

The Lambert failed attack by two henchmen - one of whom was also brutally murdered.......why? I needed more of a decent ending to explain this far fetched plot and didn't feel the book gave one at all.

The Racketeer
The Racketeer

1.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction without the science!, 5 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Racketeer (Kindle Edition)
I have to go along with the other one star reviews here. But my reason is purely because of the implausibility (to say the least) of just about every event and action in this entire book. The expense to set it up must have been astronomical - yachts and all. And just how far does reward money go in the US? Private jets X 2. But not just the financial side of things - I found that the ridiculous amount of padding used in Max's alter ego as a film maker, was like treading water. Far fetched and lazy.

Kirkland Signature Ultra Plush Microfiber Towels 36 Pack
Kirkland Signature Ultra Plush Microfiber Towels 36 Pack
Offered by AK Wholesale

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cloths, 1 Aug. 2016
Absolutely love these cloths - the only microfibre item worth buying !!

Buried (A Bone Secrets Novel)
Buried (A Bone Secrets Novel)

2.0 out of 5 stars Long winded and cliched, 26 July 2016
I ploughed through this book and foudn it almost a photo copy of the next book (which I'd read, not realising it was the same author). That was a book full of padding as well - and an implausible romance....

A hideous man who goes undetected by an important senator's staff. Does a few dark side jobs yet well known by his family as a trusted staff member? Lives threatened, murders here and there. The blabiest small town people I've even heard of. Yet the electricity she felt as he touched her shoulder, small of her back etc., etc., etc.,

Vax S2S-1 Hard Floor Pro Steam Cleaner, 1600 W
Vax S2S-1 Hard Floor Pro Steam Cleaner, 1600 W
Offered by U Stores

1.0 out of 5 stars and worse yet, dried streaky, 6 Jun. 2016
I have read a few other one star reviews to see if opinion was the same as mine. But I was surprised at how many of them related to the product just no working? So mine is a review of the product in use.

The detergent and water vessels are incredibly hard to remove - as someone else said, anyone with difficulty in their hands would have no chance! but the machine in action? Very little steam unless the trigger is held down constantly. My ceramic tiles were clearly wet with each pass, and worse yet, dried streaky!

I also have a vax cordless vacuum whose power is said to be the same as a Bosch I have. The vax was cheaper but nothing like the power of the Bosch for suction?! But back to this product. I am totally disappointed with it - and worse still, it didn't actually clean the floor! Seriously, I went over a few tea spills which had dried.....didn't even wipe them clean. Worst product I've ever bought. Ps I wish I'd watch the tube review first. You can actually see how wet the floor is, as the lady says "and you can see the floor is stil dry" hahhaaa!!!

Don't Turn Around: A dark, thrilling, page-turner of a crime novel (Detective Jennifer Knight Crime Thriller Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite a non interesting read, 25 May 2016
I'm beginning to think that the five start reviews are simply from people who are given the book free of charge.....because I didn't feel any of the excitement, thrill, page turning that others found.

Anything that can be explained as supernatural is a bit of a a cheat -- yet the tangible parts of the book (discovering that her superior really did do the dirty on her father, ruining his career) counted for nothing?

No - not for me I'm afraid.....

Follow Me: A chilling, thrilling, addictive crime novel
Follow Me: A chilling, thrilling, addictive crime novel

1.0 out of 5 stars made me annoyed that I'd stuck it out so long, 15 May 2016
Irritating in the extreme. I honestly struggled to get through this book which was written in the juvenile style of its main character.....totally bonkers view of the police and their naievity regarding social media. Certainly not a page turned - and the underwhelming revelation of the killers identity, made me annoyed that I'd stuck it out so long.

Between You and Me: The bestselling psychological thriller with a twist you won't see coming

1.0 out of 5 stars I foudn this to be less of a page turner ..., 29 April 2016
I foudn this to be less of a page turner, than a plod to be honest. There was nothing 'psychological' about it? I also found both versions of the same event no more than a series of padding. No surprises as to the differing views - no depth at all. Similar to other books but without the panache or mystery.

Victim barely likeable - and the side issue was too predicable for words......the twist at the end was more of an irritant - as though this made up for the rest of the book being without gasp, shock, amazement. Talented bloke though! And a dab hand at entertaining --- deary, deary me.

The Girl You Lost: A gripping psychological thriller
The Girl You Lost: A gripping psychological thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather than deliver a pretty miserable two-star rating, 22 April 2016
I'm not sure if a review needs to be an outline of the book itself? Surely this can be found on books description - and people want to see whether other readers found it captivating?

The first review of this book is just as I would put it myself however....

I found it totally engaging from the start. I too foudn some of the actions less than beleivable, but you have to buy into the story or simply put it down and find another book? Rather than deliver a pretty miserable two-star rating ?

I'm saying no more because I hate spoilers....and it's difficutl not to reveal any with a full blown account. In all honestly I found the book dipped a bit in the middle.....but picked up the pace again, which stayed until the very end. Well done and I will certainly be looking for more from Kathryn Croft !!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17