Profile for Sperick > Reviews

Linked: The New Science of Networks
Linked: The New Science of Networks
by Albert-László Barabási

4.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating read, 24 May 2011
I purchased this book after reading a piece that the author wrote for New Scientist magazine that I found really intriguing. The main reason why I gave the product 4 stars is that there really isn't anything much more then was in that actual article which was a minor disappointment. However, that was a great article and hence so is the book.

Having read it has given me a new perspective on observing certain aspects of life. For example, I find myself looking around my groups of acquaintances trying to figure out who are the 'hubs'. It has also taught me a lot about the importance of getting in early to something in terms of being successful.

It must be said as well though that this book is 8 years old now and in such an emerging area of research I can only assume that there has been a lot of advances and hence some of the material (especially that on the internet) is probably very outdated.

With this in mind I have been inspired to find out more and am currently reading a more advanced book that was written a few years later-one that I wouldn't have gone near without the solid grounding that I gained from reading Linked.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2011 11:52 AM BST

Funeral
Funeral

5.0 out of 5 stars Arcade Fire!, 18 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Funeral (Audio CD)
Three attributes of a classic album:
1. No poor tracks
2. A number of absolutely magnificent tracks
3. longevity
Since I have only possessed this album for 6 weeks I can only safely vouch for the first two. However I would be very surprised if this album does not pass the test of time and I fully expect to be playing this in (whatever format music is listened to then) 10 years time.
There have been a lot of bands in recent years that have been heralded as the next big thing. Bands such as the Killers, The Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian, and Snow Patrol have all released commendable albums in the past number of years but for me none of them is as exciting or as original as this opening salvo from this motley crew of French Canadians.
I first became aware of the Arcade Fire at the start of September when I was lucky enough to be persuaded into seeing them by a friend at the Electric Picnic festival. Up until then I had never heard of any of their music and so did not know what to expect as I went to the tent at the appointed time. Their following was apparent from the huge crowd that gathered even though it was not the main stage and it was still relatively early. What followed over the next 90 minutes was without doubt the best live performance from a band that I have ever been privileged to witness. They opened with the amazing "Wake Up" and it still makes the hairs stand up on my neck to remember the entire bend standing in a line on the stage absolutely screaming out the chorus to the crowd. I have never seen a band expend so much energy in a performance-every single member seemed to be possessed. It truly was amazing to witness.
Needless to say I was straight out to the shops to buy Funeral and I have not been disappointed. There are some incredible tracks on here. "Power Cut" stands out but for me my favourite is the penultimate track "Rebellion".
What more can I say. If you have the chance, see this band live, failing that buy this album, turn it up load and sit back and appreciate some magic.

Live [With DVD]
Live [With DVD]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Average, 24 May 2005
This review is from: Live [With DVD] (Audio CD)
If you already own Archive One and Devil's Advocate then there is really nothing new here for avid fans. The only affect of the famous new mixing system seems to be the insertion of odd explosions and beeps at irregular moments in the session. The tracks tend to drag on also and the overall quality of mixing is a lot poorer from World Service and his previous live set from Fuse. The DVD features two live mixes but unfortunately since they're taken from the same tour the track selection is almost the same-Also the camera tends to stay locked onto Dave Clarke-who let's face it isn't the most interesting individual to watch at the decks. You can't help but feel that this was a good idea that was carried out poorly. The one good thing about the DVD is that it features an interview with the man himself but this is only about 10 minutes long. Having said all of that he's still a great d.j. but this is his weakest album. Great front cover though.