Profile for G. S. Perry > Reviews

Content by G. S. Perry

G. S. Perry (Gosport, Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hammersmith Holocaust
Hammersmith Holocaust

5.0 out of 5 stars never heard anything like it., 9 Feb. 2016
I was there in 1980...never heard anything like it...probably never will

Boy this guy could handle an electric fiddle...absolutely outstanding stuff

Oh! and I've treated myself to all the remastered vinyl...because (to use an old Nash adage) I said so!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Feb. 2015
GREAT CASE...GREAT PRICE...GREAT SERVICE!

Lowepro Monaco Black CD Player Case MNC8
Lowepro Monaco Black CD Player Case MNC8

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Feb. 2015
GREAT CASE...GREAT PRICE...GREAT SERVICE!

JVC HA-S160-B-E FLATS Lightweight Headphones - Black
JVC HA-S160-B-E FLATS Lightweight Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Feb. 2015
GREAT HEADPHONES...GREAT PRICE...GREAT SERVICE!

From Inside
From Inside

5.0 out of 5 stars MY "NU" CAREER!, 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: From Inside (Audio CD)
Bought this as soon as it was available to buy...but have only just got round to fully playing this toe-dip into film soundtracking by the genius that is Mr Gary Numan.
And I am indeed mightily impressed by the huge soundscapes on this particularly fine release...definitely the way I see the boy from Hammersmith going in future years...though please don't think about giving up the day job yet while you are still at the peak of your solo musical mastery!
Word of praise to for Gary's sometimes-maligned partner in crime these days, Ade Fenton, whose guiding hand is clearly leading Numan into more and more interesting territories.
Put simply...this is great stuff (and I didn't even see the film this accompanies...I'm more into music than film)...buy it!

Evidence Of Time Travel
Evidence Of Time Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars BACK TO THE FUTURE PART?, 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Evidence Of Time Travel (Audio CD)
Arguably one of John's finest "new" musical offerings for many a year! Ably assisted by Steve D'Agostino, Foxx has managed to conjure up a wonderfully retro-futuristic 11-track instrumental album that sits nicely (if that's the correct word when all is sinister and edgy on this opus!) alongside the seminal "Metamatic" from 1981.
The last track here is even called "Empty Clothing Blows Across A Beach"...more than a just knowing nod to the masterful "030" from the aforementioned "Metamatic".
I saw this premiere at the BFI recently and just sat back in my comfy seat to soak it all in as the dark enclosed me. Karborn's magnificent visuals were on hand to guide me through the darkest recesses of this electronic gem on that occasion but if YOU allow your mind to wander as you listen...where will you travel?

Unreasonable Behaviour
Unreasonable Behaviour
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I still love this album in 2014, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Unreasonable Behaviour (Audio CD)
I still love this album in 2014...the outstanding track for me is the totally compulsive "Communication From The Lab" which, in my humble opinion, could go on twice as long and I still wouldn't tire of its repetitive "Exorcist-esque" piano melody which invades your head at just after the two-minute mark and whose icy fingers point you all the way to the end...and beyond. You have been warned!

Gone Girl (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture)
Gone Girl (Soundtrack from the Motion Picture)

4.0 out of 5 stars WISH I HADN'T...BUT GREAT MUSIC!, 10 Oct. 2014
Saw this "must watch" film while on holiday and in my opinion it was a case of £13 GONE!

Only redeeming feature was the haunting score by NIN's Trent Reznor...buy that instead everyone

Waiting for Cousteau
Waiting for Cousteau
Offered by entertainment trader

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT...JUST BRILLIANT...EVEN AFTER A QUARTER OF A CENTURY!, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Waiting for Cousteau (Audio CD)
I'VE HAD THIS ALBUM SINCE 1990 AND I'VE JUST RETURNED TO IT AGAIN TODAY. WELL I MUST SAY I'D FORGOTTEN WHAT AN AURAL TREAT TRACK 4 "EN ATTENDANT COUSTEAU" WAS!
THE FIRST THREE "CALYPSO" TRACKS ARE A GOOD LISTEN...BUT THIS 1990 OPUS REALLY COMES INTO ITS OWN WITH THE MAGNIFICENT FINAL TRACK...ALL 46 MINUTES AND 54 SECONDS OF IT!
IT IS UNLIKE ANY OTHER OF THE FRENCH MAESTRO'S OTHER WORKS, BEING JUST "PREPARED PIANO" OVER A MULTITUDE OF UNDERWATER NOISES AND DEEP SYNTH WHALE-LIKE SOUNDS, ALL CONJURING UP A CLAUSTROPHOBIC NAUTICAL WORLD OF WONDER!
IT IS CERTAINLY MELANCHOLIC...SAD EVEN...BUT ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!
BRAVO MONSIEUR JARRE...HOW ABOUT TOURING THIS IN 2015 TO MARK THIS MASTERPIECE'S SILVER ANNIVERSARY?

Fragile
Fragile

5.0 out of 5 stars CD OPENING INSTRUCTIONS...PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE...MASTERWORK INSIDE!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Fragile (Audio CD)
At long, long last...an instant classic solo album by the Ultravox frontman!
Not since 1985's "The Gift" has there been a Midge opus that truly reflects this man's talents and influences (and they span from 70's pop...across 80's electronica...to today's stripped-down approach).
Well here it is in all its glory...I give you (well Mr Ure does actually!) "Fragile"...a 10-track collection of such delicacy and delight that you know this work must have been produced by some kind of musical genius!
Midge is certainy that...an excellent singer who delivers this immaculately conceived album with his usual aplomb...majestically wields his electric guitar when absolutely necessary...and wraps the whole thing up in a safety blanket of swirly synths and filmic orchestral touches here and there.
Stand out songs for me are the (autobiographical?) "I Survived", "Let It Rise" (which could easily have fitted on Ultravox's "Brilliant"), the imaginative instrumental "Wire & Wood" and the wonderful "For All You Know" (a single if ever there was one as us oldies used to say!)
I just can't stop playing this...that's a good sign of an albums quality now isn't it?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3