Profile for DJ > Reviews

Content by DJ

DJ "DJ" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ladies Canvas FLORAL Waist BUM BAG Fanny Pack Travel Holiday Security (Black Floral)
Offered by Biggest Little Shop Online Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Spacious, durable kinda funky and not too audacious. ..., 21 Oct. 2014
Spacious, durable kinda funky and not too audacious. Although no amount of patterns can disguise that this is still a bum bag.

A Place Called Freedom
A Place Called Freedom
by Ken Follett

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Place Called Freedom (Paperback)
Certainly not my favourite from Follet but nonetheless an entertaining book.

Glow 7 Piece Wooden Handle Professional Makeup Brushes in Leopard Print Case
Glow 7 Piece Wooden Handle Professional Makeup Brushes in Leopard Print Case

2.0 out of 5 stars Was good initially, love the case, 21 Oct. 2014
Was good initially, love the case, nice assortment. But it wasn't long at all before they started to fall apart, the actual handle, I mean, not the brush hairs which remained in tact. The glue that holds the metal bit to the wood obviously isn't strong.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Enjoyed this so much, was hooked from the start. I'm very glad that I knew little to nothing about the story (I like to go in blind) because I got swept along as I believe the author intended. I was constantly forming my own theories (which I thought were pretty clever) about what really happened all the way through the book and felt oddly manipulated yet pleased to discover that all along these were the ideas the author intended to put in my head. I don't tend to venture much into thrillers such as Gone Girl, but this was an excellent, fun read. However, having said that I was very disappointed at the ending. It was resolved and made sense but it just wasn't the ending I hoped for.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
Just didn't do much for me at all. I've read a couple of John Green's books (who, as a person, I am a personal fan of) and I feel the same dissatisfaction whenever I finish one of his novels, that "is that it?" feeling. It's a tear baiter. But the bait sucks. The protagonists, I find to be obnoxious and, sorry to say it, very two-dimensional. They're too self-aware, I guess some people like that, and they hold themselves in very high esteem. Give me a reason to hold you in some esteem too. I read the book through intermittent rolls of my eyes. Hazel watches America's Next Top Model. Wow, how fascinating that she dumbs herself down to watch shows that millions of people enjoy. She's so human. Augustus walks around with an unlit cigarette in his mouth for crying out loud. Oh my God that's so ironic and deep. I can't remember his ridiculous reason for why, but all I know is that is some pretentious bullsh*t.

For a book that is so consciously trying to avoid being overtly sentimental, it all came across as crazily melodramatic and a more uptight version of Nicholas Sparks "A Walk to Remember". I was just really, really unimpressed. I'd still like to see the movie, because these kinds of stories play out pretty well on the screen. With a sappy soundtrack and a few heart-wrenching performances it may even get the tears it begging for. However, as I said, I like John Green and I'm glad for his success I will keep reading his books and hoping for better.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 2:22 PM GMT

Lorenz Genuine Traditional All Soft Leather Bum Bag With 6 Zips, Black
Lorenz Genuine Traditional All Soft Leather Bum Bag With 6 Zips, Black
Offered by Leather Express Dispatch

3.0 out of 5 stars Really really liked this bum bag, 27 July 2014
Really really liked this bum bag, looked nice, good material, it was inconspicuous and pretty spacey. Plus it laid flat and didn't leave a bulge. However it broke within weeks so a waste in the end. Great if you're not using it often or just very short term, like a festival or whatever, but I was travelling up and down and was super vexed when the belt broke.

Round Eye Over Sized Sunglasses 60's 'Lennon' Style.. Iridescent Green Revo Mirror Lens
Offered by Revive Online

4.0 out of 5 stars stylish and nicely sized- if you've got a large head (like myself) ..., 27 July 2014
Absolutely adore this frames, cheap, stylish and nicely sized- if you've got a large head (like myself) they'll fit wonderfully but if you've got a smaller head you'll get that perfect oversized look. Came with a nice little pouch which I lost in minutes but it was great while I had it. Accurate colour representation as well which is always good.
My only gripe is that the frames feel a little spindly and I can see that these are easy to break. They tend to get bent out of shape very quickly, but they are easy enough to bend back as they're really flexible. Anyway, I really like them.

Stylish Unisex Flip Up Round Steampunk Sunglasses Double Deck Glasses 5 Colors (brilliant black gold frame)
Offered by Hotportgift

2.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, 27 July 2014
These glasses are absolutely tiny. I bought them for a bit of a lark, but it defeats the joke. They still look cool and I like the design, I'll just never be able to wear them anyway, because they are clearly made for somebody with the head size of a hamster. I took a gamble and also ordered a leopard print pair at the same time and was very irritated when I was sent another pair of black/gold ones, so now I have two frames that are exactly the same and both of no use.

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

2.0 out of 5 stars Distant, Slow... and Unrewarding. Boring., 19 April 2014
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
I've given 2 stars purely for the depth and conscious effort made by the author to create a very certain kind of book and the concept, which is actually very intriguing. I can respect Erin Morgenstern for writing the book she wanted to write and in the way she wanted to do it. But my actual enjoyment is less than 1 stars. I hated it.

This is the plot: two rival magicians compete against each other in a game where the rules are uncertain, in the arena of a travelling night circus. Tedium ensues. That is the sum of my experience. Tedium.

First of all, it literally took me months to trawl through this. I had to force myself to finish the book because I had to believe there was something worthwhile at the end. I can tell that every decision made by Erin Morgenstern was deliberate, but unfortunately it feels like she sacrificed good story telling for stylistic choices. Awkward, drawn out dialogue with that pretentious contraction free type of language that doesn't read well. Written in first person present, which can be exciting and intense... if the story is exciting and tense, which this isn't. Inserts of pointless 2nd person descriptions of the night circus which do nothing for me. No change in pace throughout the novel. And the pace is SLOW. I felt like there was no real pay off for keeping us at such a distance the whole time. The story ends with no clear explanation about the rules of the game. Character motivations are non existent and it's very hard to feel anything towards anyone, except perhaps the clockmaker Hans who has hardly any page time and the elusive man in the grey suit (one of the mentors to the rivals). I don't mind hard work, but at the end of the day this is a story about a magical night circus and two rival magicians. There is a very clear missing element of whimsicality and fun. It all takes itself too seriously and assumes we should care too.

This was recommended to me as a I enjoyed of Gregory Maguire's Wicked (upon second reading) and even more so Susanna Clarke's far superior Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (my favourite). If that is how you came to hear of The Night Circus then I warn you I am no longer speaking to the friend who made that recommendation.

Ghetto Cowboy
Ghetto Cowboy
by G. Neri

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Sweet, 11 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ghetto Cowboy (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated and a lovely story. I will certainly look out for more of his work. My only fault is that I didn't particularly like the way it was written, very simplistic and aimed at a much younger audience then I anticipated (I thought this would be for teens, it was more appropriate those under 12).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3