Profile for POCUK > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Loyd Grossman Puttanesca Pasta Sauce, 350g
Loyd Grossman Puttanesca Pasta Sauce, 350g

4.0 out of 5 stars This is actually not bad, 10 May 2017
I try not to buy jarred sauces as a rule because of off the chart sugar, salt and fat content, and to be honest, I have never ever bought celeb food products before either as I have an aversion to them. However, my Aunt was waxing lyrical about this particular product a few months ago and I was doing a Pantry shop recently and saw this on offer and thought what the hell and got a jar.

How I used this product:

Placed chicken breast strips (cooked for five minutes first) in an ovenproof dish and poured the contents of the jar over the top and then topped with some grated cheddar and mozzarella and baked it in the oven. My wife and I ate the lot with a freshly baked granary baguette baked at the same time. We both enjoyed the meal and found it very satisfying.

I have since purchased another jar and this time I switched the chicken for cod, and the cheddar for Parmesan, and we had steamed broccoli with it instead of bread. Again we both enjoyed it and it was a quick meal. Haven't tried it with pasta yet.

For a £1 this product is actually good value and much tastier than I expected.

Galaxy Ripple Extra Large Chocolate Egg, 286 g
Galaxy Ripple Extra Large Chocolate Egg, 286 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate eggs!, 10 May 2017
Easter eggs are like hard drugs and should be banned. I will not eat chocolate eggs ever again...okay, that was a lie.

They're eggs, and they're made of milk chocolate, by Galaxy, and you get a few extra Galaxy treats inside, and you may or may not feel guilt after eating.

Old El Paso Cheesy Baked Enchilada Dinner Kit, 663g
Old El Paso Cheesy Baked Enchilada Dinner Kit, 663g

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it...my wife not so much, 10 May 2017
This is a handy kit you can keep in the cupboard for emergencies, as long as you have something like chicken at hand for the main filling, and cheese for the topping.

Not hot in any way, tasty with chicken breast strips and very, very easy and quick to make. I thoroughly enjoyed them; a quick and satisfying Friday night meal. My wife on the other hand wasn't so keen and complained that they weren't as nice as the ones I make from scratch. She didn't eat all of hers. No comment here....well, okay, she is very fussy.

Morrisons Savers Ready to Eat Prunes, 250g
Morrisons Savers Ready to Eat Prunes, 250g

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 10 May 2017
These 'ready-to-eat' Morrison Savers prunes are good value and delicious and every bit as tasty as others on offer.

These prunes are smaller than other well known branded packs, but to be honest, I prefer these smaller ones as they are more useful to me. I have these prunes on cereal or with other fruit and a piece of toast most days for breakfast. I eat them with plain yoghurt as a dessert, have them as the fruit portion of a packed lunch, cook them with chicken, bake them with banana and honey with a blob of with ice cream, and I also have them just as a snack when watching TV . Just remember to buy a good quantity of them when you order as they'll disappear quickly.

Muhle Tortoiseshell Effect Drip Stand RH3
Muhle Tortoiseshell Effect Drip Stand RH3
Offered by London General Trading Company

3.0 out of 5 stars Holds my WIlkinson Sword brush, 10 May 2017
You'll be hard pushed to find a stand on the high street at any price, so that's why I ended up buying this one from Amazon.

This smallish drip stand holds my slightly bulky Wilkinson Sword brush without a problem. I took a gamble so glad it worked out. It looks okay as well, better than the clear plastic offerings. At £5 I'd suggest it is a bit on the expensive side for what it is. I briefly thought about making a more aesthetically pleasing one myself from stuff in the garage but sanity prevailed.

Walkers Shortbread Mini Gold Tin
Walkers Shortbread Mini Gold Tin

3.0 out of 5 stars I love shortbread BUT..., 10 May 2017
I'm probably among the millions that enjoy shortbread with a cup of tea or coffee, and this little tin seemed like a good way to control my habit as the contents were described as mini biscuits. Trouble is I am rather lacking in self control when it comes to shortbread, so taking just two mini shortbreads from the tin worked the first day, but the next day my wife and I ate the lot with a cuppa watching a film. I know, pure gluttony.

The tin is small and oval, and contains 40 mini shortbread shapes, a mixture of triangles, rounds, ovals and fingers. The contents weigh in at 175g, so amount to less than a pack of generic branded all butter shortbread fingers you can grab off the shelf in most shops, which are usually anything between 200 and 210g...unless you go for well known branded luxury shortbread fingers which are often about the same in weight as the contents of this tin.

The price when I bought this tin was excellent. I paid only £1.89 after an Amazon promotion which discounted the tin by .33p. At £2.22 before discount though I'd say it was a luxury item, ideal as a gift or treat for yourself and your partner, and you have the tin at the end so can use that and fill it with sweets or more broken shortbread pieces. I came back to order another recently and noticed that the price has almost doubled, and I personally would not entertain buying this product at the new price. If the price comes down again I'll be quick to order a good quantity of the tins and keep some for myself and set some aside for gifts.

I recently purchased a supermarket brand of shortbread fingers for .59p and snapped each finger into 3 and filled the empty tin with them. Shortbread trunks in a nice tin, yayyyy...

Biona Cranberry Pure Pressed Juice 330ml
Biona Cranberry Pure Pressed Juice 330ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously short best before / use by date (barely 1 month), 1 April 2017
Expensive. Tastes fine diluted with water and or with apple juice. My gripe is that I bought a couple of bottles each of blueberry and cranberry and the use by on both the the cranberry is barely a month. In contrast both the blueberry bottles I ordered at the same time have well over a year (17 months) before they're out of date. Out of necessity I will now have to use both bottles of the cranberry juice within the next month. Not very happy.

Canon PIXMA MX925 All-in-One Colour Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax, Apple AirPrint, Google Cloud Print and Wi-Fi)

4.0 out of 5 stars Everthing I need even if it looks like (according to my wife) a big squashed Darth Vader's helmet., 9 Jan. 2017
After having nothing but trouble with an Epson Expression Photo XP-760 and returning it I was nervous about buying this. However, needn't have worried. Couldn't believe the difference.

Setup

No need to be connected to a PC to do this!

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes (inclusive of unpacking) to setup as it has predefined cycles to complete before you can get on with it. First is 3 minutes and the next is 6 minutes. Basically after initial language and country setup using printer's LCD display you have to insert ink, let it charge them, and then insert special paper (included) to align heads. It's very easy to follow with clear graphical instructions on LCD panel (didn't expect that). Once that part is completed you can either connect to your WIFI network using WPS or manual setup. I have WPS disabled on my router for better security so I manually set up the WIFI. Took a max of a couple of minutes to tap in details and connected straight away. Printed test page. Done.

Canon PRINT app (Android) from Google Play

Installed the Canon PRINT app and was printing A4 photo from mobile in moments. Quick, brilliant! Haven't tried scanning with app yet.

Windows software

Inserted the installation CD and chose everything except My Image Garden software to install. Automated process. Found printer on network within moments. Installed everything without any fuss (Windows 7 Pro).

Printing from Windows

Printed a 6 page colour document from MS Word and after about 30 seconds of head movement it knocked out the document in less than a minute. Excellent almost laser like definition.

Duplex. Duplex printing was just as straight forward. Printed a 2 page colour PDF brochure using duplex. Very easy. It drags the page back in after printing and prints on the other side. Slower than single sided because of the slight delay waiting for the second side (I think it's to allow the ink to dry a bit). Nonetheless, print quality excellent.

ADF (auto document feeder)

Placed 8 sheets of printed A4 documents into ADF and used the auto scan on Canon's toolbar. Took about 90 seconds and auto created a PDF file in the Documents folder. First attempt the scanned documents were skew-whiff so I tried again and made sure the side adjusters were aligned properly and the paper was square and it all came out aligned properly. So a little attention needed there. Haven't tried the duplex scanning yet.

Scanning from platter

Very good, accurate scans from glass platter. Good enough for archiving photos. If you are archiving nothing but photos then a dedicated scanner might be better, but I am happy with this quality.

Haven't tried the CD print yet. The CD tray is clipped on to the underside of tray two. You unclip it, and insert it above the output tray (read instructions). Seemed a bit odd first but after looking at it it is straightforward enough.

FAX

Haven't used it and won't use it. I have an email to FAX VoIP number so don't need this facility.

I have been able to 'get going' with this printer straight away, unlike the EPSON. The build quality is 'okay'. The keypad on the front has separate keys that light up and display icons depending on which function you are using (eg. fax is a number pad, selecting paper size etc are nav arrows). A piece of paper with a little bit of celoptape attached stuck to the front and when I lifted it off a key came out with it. However, it slipped straight back into place.No damage done. Still, a bit too Lego really. Gloss black so you'll be cleaning it frequently with a cloth to remove fingerprints.

The size: it is bulkier than I expected. My wife says it looks like a big squashed Darth Vader's helmet. I see what she means. Bit like a spaceship. But It's got lots of useful features and works out of the box. I didn't purchase extra Canon inks as the price is a bit rich for me. I've ordered Colour Direct compatibles today and when the starter inks run out I'll be using them. I'll update review when I've used them for a while.

You can connect via USB, ethernet and WIFI.

Very pleased with my purchase. Hopefully it'll continue without any hiccups for a good while. If it doesn't I'll update my review. If you don't mind the size it's a good all-in-one that is PC independent (use it as a copier and print from apps etc.). Worth the money? If it lasts a while, then yes, absolutely.

Morrisons Tomato Chutney, 295g
Morrisons Tomato Chutney, 295g

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too tart, not too sweet, 1 Jan. 2017
This was a suprise. This delicious chunky tomato chutney was enjoyed by all of my family. Not too tart, not too sweet. Better than a relish. Perfect for cheese sandwiches. Well priced for regular use. Would definitely buy again.

Maxim's Gift set of Design Small House Roof Tin with Chocolates 54g
Maxim's Gift set of Design Small House Roof Tin with Chocolates 54g

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good value in any universe, 31 Dec. 2016
Not good value in any universe.

Average quality, nothing special. Each tin contains 2 average quality chocolates...and because the base of the tin is almost half the way up inside you can't fit any more inside. Yes, that's right, if you invert the tin, the bottom is actually up 'inside' the base leaving room for just two chocolates..this is clearly a maximum profit design. I'd say it wasn't in any way a good value gift. And I'd say it was very, very overpriced and even though I got it in a lightening deal I still feel it was too much for what it is.

At Christmas there are lots of these things about. Don't usually get caught by them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20