Profile for Owen Goodwin > Reviews

Owen Goodwin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
beyerdynamic Byron BT Wireless Bluetooth In Ear Headphones
beyerdynamic Byron BT Wireless Bluetooth In Ear Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality In Ear Headphones with great dynamic range - best yet encountered in 30+ years of music listening., 29 Oct. 2016
Normally I wait until my "daily driver" headphones/earphones have broken before I take the step and buy new ones. In this case, because I was not enjoying the sound quality (and some other elements) of my existing ones, I was ready to make a change.

Key requirement I had was that my new headphones/earphones be wireless. I've also had prior experience with other BeyerDynamic Products, so I knew about the sound quality.

In terms of the key points:
* Sound quality - although not having the complete range that on or over ear headphones have, these BT wireless earphones still have a pretty impressive depth to the bass end with some body at the high end as well (other in ear headphones were too compressed, these Beyers did NOT have that trait - which is an enormous relief.) 8/10
* Battery life - they recharge in around 1.5 hours and give (in my experience) about 6 hours of life. (They provide a slightly "intrusive" verbal warning when the battery is low - when you are listening to a track and the battery is low you get this regular voice saying "battery is low" - over the top of whatever you are listening too. Helpful, but as it comes on every minute or two, you feel you are being nagged a little). So - battery life is 8.5/10; battery alerts 7/10 (too frequent and nagging)
* Usabiliy - simple to pair and simple to use. Stick comfortably in the ears. Enough said. 9/10

Recommend these Beyer Dynamics for portable music.

Bialetti Industries 168910 Caffe Mug, Orange
Bialetti Industries 168910 Caffe Mug, Orange
Offered by RagStoreIt

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little coffee cups - and look really cool too!!, 5 Aug. 2016
Great little 6 pack of coffee cups. Ceramic and look great!

(Note to others - they do rather a good job of transferring the heat to your fingers - so be careful!)

Recommended (especially as replacements - the six pack has worked a treat!)

Ilsa Enamelled Cast Oron Hob Reducer, 12 cm
Ilsa Enamelled Cast Oron Hob Reducer, 12 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved the problem - 100%., 5 Aug. 2016
Length:: 0:15 Mins

Solved the big problem which I had - my little Bialetti coffee maker was sitting precariously on the stove top. On more than one occasion it fell over thus spilling hot coffee all over the place as well as breaking the coffee cups.

This device has comprehensively solved my problem. Now the coffee sits happily with greatly reduced danger of it overbalancing and crashing everywhere. Please see the video I have attached for a quick demo ;)

Win. Thanks!

KES C214-2 Shower Head Bracket Holder Stepless Adjustable Wall Mount, Brushed SUS304 Stainless Steel
Offered by KES Home Global

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional product, easy to install and works as desired, 16 Jun. 2016
Was needing a shower holder for my bathroom, and was unable to find this kind of product in a shop.

Amazon to the rescue! (Again😃)

The product was exactly as described, easy to install (20 minutes - I had power drill etc) and has been 100% solid and reliable.

It's remained on the wall and securely holds the shower up - I can ask nothing more of the product - thanks!!

Oral-B Smart Series 6000 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity and Smart Series Powered by Braun (Packaging May Vary) - Ships with 2 pin UK plug

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes - it's Smart Toothbrush - and it's OK., 4 Jun. 2016
So I needed a new electric toothbrush, and considering we're well into the second decade of the 21st century, decided it was time to move up to a Smart Toothbrush.

Plus points - and if you're a geek - I'll make it the starting point. Yes - there is a Companion App for your smartphone!!!

It's fairly good - records your time, progress, graphs and records other data as well. Also keeps track over time and in true App fashion - provides you little Awards for accomplishments like 'consistency' etc. Yes, it's a bit over the top, but it does serve the purpose and keeps you focussed. The other parts of the app - showing you real time progresses of where you should be focussing your brushing at any given second is really, really helpful and has in all honesty pushed me towards a much more consistent teeth cleaning regimen. Other features of the App/Brush combo include being able to set profiles, and things to focus on - which again is good. I like it. Practically speaking, it's a *lot* easier to use with the App.

Synching with Bluetooth has not been a problem. Ever. And I've been using it now for around 6 weeks.

(Should you not have a smartphone, or not wish to use a smartphone - then its still entirely possible to use all the features, it just takes a little longer.)

Other plus points - it comes with 4 different brush heads, and has multiple speed/pattern settings with let you set up exactly the kind of clean that you require.

Conclusion: Does a kick ass teeth cleaning job.

About the only negative point I have, and I see others have also noted this - the battery life is not stellar. I'm having to pop it to the charger every two or three days. I get that its a battery intensive device, but I think the battery needs a little more staying power to be a true winner. Braun - fix this.

For features and general 21st century coolness - 8/10
For general teeth cleaning capability - 8.5/10.
For the App - 8/10 (its not a bad App)
For the battery life - 6.5/10.
Overall rating: 7.75/10.

(For reference - I used to use an old Colgate electric - no problems ever with it - you pushed the button, it cleaned your teeth. I simply stopped using it because I lost the !@£$%^&* charger and couldn't buy a new one...)

The Castle
The Castle
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feel good movie - with a quirk or two!, 7 April 2016
This review is from: The Castle (Amazon Video)
Really funny, feel good, make you laugh out loud Australian movie.

Watched it with my Italian born partner - she loved it too.

Recommended!

Creative Aurvana In-Ear2 Plus Noise-Isolating Earphones with In-Line Microphone
Creative Aurvana In-Ear2 Plus Noise-Isolating Earphones with In-Line Microphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Real good, light, commuter friendly, 'stay in the ears' Ear Phones., 7 April 2016
This was a rather *sudden* purchase, as my previous headphones (on ear ones, from Beyerdynamic) suddenly stopped working.

Considering my options and some of the faff involved in having on ear phones previously, I decided to change gears and go for something a little lighter and more 'commuter friendly'. After considering a few different brands and options, I settled on these Creative Auvana In-Ear2 Noise Isolating phones. (For reference, I've owned Creative gear previously - 2 different MP3 players plus 2 or 3 different on ear headphones - all of which impressed me for various reasons - so I've got some positive history with Creative)

A few quick points:

0. General reference point: My current music player is an iPhone 6. No EQ - its all flat. Generally use the headphones during my commute (train). Generally the music I listen to is either Metal (many different sub categories) or Rock (ditto many categories)

1. Sonics: It is really unfair to even compare these to the headphones I was using previously (On Ear, upper end BeyerDynamics ones) from a pure sound quality point of view. You can't compare on ear phones to in ear ones. Sufficient to say, once I'd 'adjusted' to the different sound characteristics of the Creative Auvanas - they are what I'd call 'good' (for in ear ones). No - they don't have the sheer dynamic range and things do sound a bit squashed and compressed - but for a commute, listening to metal, on a train - they're fine. No complaints sonically. I would rate them slightly better than the Apple ear pods that came with my iDevices.

2. 'Commutability': Brilliant. Really really light. Come with a slightly cute little case for the headphones to live in. Cord is not too long either.

3. 'Ear compatibility': i.e "Do they stay in my ears?". Yes. They do. Big plus points on that front. The rubber components help them fit nice and snugly. And they don't fall out.

4. Noise Isolation. Is not bad. I've had worse headphones that have claimed this characteristic and not been as good as these Creatives. Of course - they don't isolate the outside world out to the point you don't hear it - but they do help keep things like platform announcements and other background noise out - so kudos on that front. And they don't need batteries to accomplish this either (again - unlike other headphones I've owned that required batteries to get to the same end.

5. Packaging - the only slightly bizarre comment - and here it comes. Getting the box open was a trick - I'm glad that Creative included instructions on 'how to open the box that the earphones come packaged in'. Creative - please learn a lesson from Apple and the like when it comes to packaging - you can do better than this for product packaging!! But I'm not subtracting any marks - you only get these things out of the box when you first buy them. After that - they live in your pocket in the little soft case.

So - recommended for commuters - they definitely do the trick. 8/10.

Designer Oval Coffee Table (RED)
Designer Oval Coffee Table (RED)
Offered by UK COFFEE TABLES

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solid coffee table - and not run of the mill design either - Recommended!!, 18 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Designer Oval Coffee Table (RED)
Great coffee table - very stylish, and solid too!

No concerns regarding any instability if things are left on the corner.

Glass top itself is tempered so is strong.

Assembling it was a cinch - took all of about 5 minutes for my partner and I to complete.

Is a bit bigger than some of the photos indicate - more than enough space for two pizzas, drinks wine and chocolate on it.

Nothing but kind words for the vendor for helping out with arranging delivery requirements. It arrived on exactly the right day - 10/10 to the vendor!

Am now considering other products from the same produc catalog :)

Multicolour Stripes Wideleg Sidepocket Hippy Trouser,Comfortable Fit Hippie Boho (xl, Orange mix)
Offered by SHOPOHOLIC FASHION

5.0 out of 5 stars Super kick ass hippy pants - great for drumming or otherwise just chilling out in. Recommended!!, 17 Aug. 2015
Really really super comfy hippy pants - glad I bought them. Airy, loose, cool - exactly what I was after.

It's worth taking heed the other remarks here regarding sizing/fit and also recommend referencing the sizing chart included here on the Amazon page. (In my case waist size 34 - chose the XL model - perfect size).

Adonit Jot Script 2 Fine Point Stylus for iPad/iPad Air/iPad Mini
Adonit Jot Script 2 Fine Point Stylus for iPad/iPad Air/iPad Mini

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase as a daily driver for a stylus (On iPad with OneNote), 20 Jun. 2015
Having switched to using OneNote (on my iPad) exclusively for day to day note taking, to-do list tracking, my existing (quite old, with the rubber soft tip) stylus wasn't quite doing the business as a full on daily driver, and I was in the market for an alternate. The older one is still perfectly usable, and for other more free form activities, such as free hand drawing it's perfect.

After two weeks of daily use, it's been 'so far so good'. Its nice to have stylus thats got a rigid tip as it does help with accuracy (although the first few days I found I had to learn a slightly different technique).

Like anything, it's a matter of figuring out it's limitations - and as stated, for some free hand drawing, I still prefer the other older softer tipped one I have. But for note taking/handwriting etc - great.

As stated by other people, occasionally there's a lag between the stroke and the line (or letter) appearing, and also the written line occasionally is way from the point. With the lag - this I tend to attribute to a screen which can be a bit dirty occasionally.

Your own experience with your own combination of software, tablet and so may vary - mine has been exclusively using OneNote and Adonit Forge (so far) and so far, so good.

Must also give credit to the distributor (3WM) who managed to deliver it a day ahead of the stated time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3