Profile for Dr. A.J. Desai > Reviews

Content by Dr. A.J. Desai

Dr. A.J. Desai (London)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best on the market, 6 Aug. 2011
A fantastic shaving cream which is moisturising and leaves a light, coconut-scent after shaving. I use it with a Merkur safety razor and it gives an excellent close shave and does not dry out the skin like some other shaving creams. You only need to use a pea-size amount (which lathers up really well), and so the tub will last a very long time. All in all, a fantastic and luxurious product which makes shaving a treat, rather than a chore. Highly recommended!

Merkur Vision 2000 Brushed Steel Razor
Merkur Vision 2000 Brushed Steel Razor

4.0 out of 5 stars Merkur Vision 2000, 6 Aug. 2011
I have been using this razor for the past 3 years and am very happy with both its build and performance. The first thing you notice when you pick it up is that it is heavier than most safety razors on the market, but feels very solid and well-made. It takes about 15 twists to open the head of the razor to insert the blade (which is perhaps a few too many) but is not really an issue for me. The exposure of the blade is controlled by twisting the neck. Instead of grade numbers (as there are on the Merkur Futur), the word V-I-S-I-O-N is engraved on the neck so you have to remember the letter for the grade required. I tend to use the middle setting which works perfectly well for me.

Because the razor itself is heavier than most, you do not need to (and indeed shouldn't) apply pressure to the skin when shaving. Instead, let the weight of the razor do the work. I tend to use it with some Truefitt No.10 pre-shave oil and Trumpers coconut shaving cream. I get an excellent close shave with this razor using only one pass, but sometimes use two for extra closeness.

The Vision can be disassembled into several parts quite easily to facilitate cleaning, which I think should be done every month to remove soap build-up that can clog the mechanism if left unchecked. It is very easy to clean and reassemble.

All in all, this is a very solid, well-made, and easy to use razor which should last a very long time if cared for properly. I have been using it regularly for the past 3 years without any problems at all. It feels heavy to use at first but you quickly get used to it and I find that it is streets ahead of other safety razors on the market. In conclusion, although seemingly quite expensive, I feel that it is a worthy investment.

Merkur Vision 2000 Safety Shaving Razor - Matt Chrome
Merkur Vision 2000 Safety Shaving Razor - Matt Chrome

4.0 out of 5 stars Merkur Vision 2000, 6 Aug. 2011

Geo F. Trumper Coconut Shaving Cream Bowl
Geo F. Trumper Coconut Shaving Cream Bowl
Offered by Cube for Men

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best on the market, 6 Aug. 2011
A fantastic shaving cream which is non-drying and leaves a light, coconut-scent after shaving. I use it with a Merkur safety razor and it gives an excellent close shave and does not dry out the skin like some other shaving creams. You only need to use a pea-size amount (which lathers up really well), and so the tub will last a very long time. All in all, a fantastic, luxurious product which makes shaving a treat, rather than a chore. Highly recommended!

Blade Runner: The Final Cut [Blu-ray] [1982] [Region Free]
Blade Runner: The Final Cut [Blu-ray] [1982] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars The picture quality is AMAZING!, 6 Sept. 2009
For a film over 25 years old, the transfer here puts a lot of recently made Blu-rays to shame. From the opening scene you'll notice the difference immediately. The sharpness and clarity of the transfer makes it look like the movie was only made yesterday. Certainly worth the upgrade from DVD!

Watchmen (2-Disc) [Blu-ray] [2009]
Watchmen (2-Disc) [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Carla Gugino

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this version!, 11 July 2009
Get the American director's cut version. It's region free so will be able to play on UK players. 5 stars for the movie but afraid that this UK version only gets the one star.

Operation Good Guys Complete - Series 1-3 [DVD]
Operation Good Guys Complete - Series 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic Anciano

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Beware of the Pig!', 29 Nov. 2006
Caught this on TV few years ago and it's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. It's a fly on the wall comedy doc (before The Office, by the way) and it's just fantastic. Don't think, just buy.

Decipher
Decipher
by Stel Pavlou

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 12 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Decipher (Paperback)
This is one of the best page-turners that I've read in a long long time. It's a totally engrossing story which moves at a very quick pace. The book reminded me of a lot of Michael Crichton's work, in particular the combination of a thriller with cutting-edge science. In fact, if I didn't know who had written it, I would have assumed that he had, so similar are the styles. Impressive considering that it's Stel Pavlou's first novel.
If you like Michael Crichton then this book is definitely for you. A thrilling read from start to finish! I look forward to reading his next novel.

NHS Plc: The Privatisation of Our Health Care
NHS Plc: The Privatisation of Our Health Care
by Allyson Pollock

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all in the NHS!, 9 Mar. 2005
This is an extremely well-written and though-provoking analysis of the effects of labour's healthcare policies, and obsession with targets and red tape, on the current state of the NHS. I would highly recommend that every doctor and nurse working in the NHS read this as it opened my eyes to the extent of the current situation and helped me understand how we got here in the first place. In the current political climate, where debate on healthcare has been put centre-stage since the case of Margaret Dixon, it is an important and necessary book to read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 6:46 PM BST

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition
Offered by MEDIA-MOST-WANTED

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the soundtrack you have been looking for!, 27 Dec. 2001
I bought the original Phantom Menace soundtrack as soon as I had seen the movie because although the movie didn't qute live up to my expectations, John Williams' score most certainly did. When I saw that this version was being released not too long after I thought it was just a shameless marketing ploy to grab a few more pounds from my rapidly emptying pockets. However, this soundtrack version is a lot better than the original. It's got all the themes and cues exactly as you hear them in the movie, as well as a few extra tracks, such as the version of the Duel of the Fates score from the music video. All in all it's a great addition to John Williams' already outstanding body of work and even if you already own the orginal soundtrack its well worth getting this one too. Go on, you won't be disappointed!