Profile for Mr. Zebulon tm Minett > Reviews

Content by Mr. Zebulon tm...

Mr. Zebulon tm Minett

Resolution
Resolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Between a black hole and a supernova is where you'll find this album!, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Resolution (Audio CD)
This is quite possibly the best Lamb Of God album released to date - everything that is integral to the LOG sound is here in spades but the guys have thrown even more spanners in the works to add interest and depth to an already crushing sound! Album opener Straight For The Sun is straight out of the Black Sabbath handbook and is something a bit different for the guys, especially when compared with The Passing from previous album Wrath! The two standout tracks for me with regards to LOG adding something different to their sound are Insurrection and album closer King Me - the first of these features clean, sung vocals from Randy Blythe, and they add a totally different and unique colour to the tonal palette of the song - who knew Randy had such a great singing voice? The man never ceases to amaze me with his vocal talents! King Me is a total departure from anything the guys have done before - layered with an orchestra and an opera singer the song showcases yet another side to Lamb Of God that I never knew existed! I won't harp on about which tracks are better than others because they're all fantastic in their own right in my humble opinion! A special mention does go to Randy Blythe when he sings the chorus to Guilty - the ferocity with which he barks -'Bound by the chain of lies you've wrapped around you!' is terrifying - it really gets me riled up when I hear it, in a good way of course! As for the rest of the band, need I go into detail? Those familiar with LOG will already know that the riffs come hard and fast, complex yet easy to understand if you break them down, the bass doubles the riffs a lot of the time (which is no easy feat!) and Chris Adler's drumming is sublime as always! Those that are already familiar with LOG will already own this album, those that aren't, get this album now, you won't regret it! A breath of fresh air in a stagnant music scene, these guys never fail to impress and just get better and better!

Holographic Universe
Holographic Universe

5.0 out of 5 stars This ain't no prototype, this is the real thing..., 27 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Holographic Universe (Audio CD)
I cannot describe in words well enough how amazing this album is. Just... WOW! I must admit, the first Scar Symmetry album I bought was Dark Matter Dimensions, unbeknownst to me that this when Christian Alvestam (the former vocalist) had left the band and been replaced by not one, but two singers. Don't get me wrong, Dark Matter Dimensions is a solid enough record, but it's got nothing on Holographic Universe.

I bought Pitch Black Progress after obtaining Dark Matter Dimensions to hear what the band was like with Christian at the helm - f**k me, was I blown away! He has one seriously good voice, the best I've heard in a long time, and that, married with the astounding musicianship from the other four members, makes for one exciting concoction. I loved Pitch Black Progress and would play it every day, but when I got my hands on Holographic Universe - well let's just say that my respect for the band and music in general increased tenfold!

There are no fillers on this album, just track after track of inventiveness and sheer brilliance. From album opener 'Morphogenesis' all the way through to 'Ghost Prototype II - Deus Ex Machina' this album smacks you in the face from beginning to end and leaves you wondering, 'What the hell just happened?' That was the impression I got anyway!

I'm not really one for choosing tracks, as I tend to encompass and enjoy albums as whole things, but if I had to choose a couple, it would probably be 'Trapezoid' for it's start/stop, almost machine-gun riffing and 'Artificial Sun Projection', just because I love the main riff and the structure of the song! Oh, those people thinking about buying this album - you may take a glance at the title track's length and think 'Nine minutes?!' but trust me, it seems like three, because the song is structured so beautifully with many interchangeable parts that it never gets boring.

If you're a fan of Scar Symmetry, or other melo-death bands (as seems to be the genre they come under) like Soilwork, then definitely pick up this album. You will not be disappointed!

The Common Man's Collapse
The Common Man's Collapse

5.0 out of 5 stars It may not be safe to swim today, but this is certainly a great catch!, 10 Mar. 2010
Whilst I was searching for After The Burial songs on YouTube, I happened to stumble across a band called Veil Of Maya - the link was made between the two bands because they are both signed to Sumerian Records. So I thought I'd give this album a shot - and I wasn't disappointed. These guys have the same start/stop riffage as bands such as After The Burial and Meshuggah, and they also have the technical prowess to boot. All four guys in the band really know how to play their instruments, with tempos and song structures changing so fast you don't even have the time to utter the word 'METAL!' The only downside is that this album is only 10 tracks long and fairly short, but there's so much going on in every single song it's usually more than enough to keep you interested. Again, only a minor niggle, but sometimes the songs can run into one another so flawlessly that it seems like there's no more than a couple of tracks on the whole album. This could be seen as a lack of originality and may bore some listeners, but I guess it's just a case of 'If you're good at something, do it well.' And these guys certainly do it extremely well! If you're a fan of After The Burial, then these guys will be right up your street!

Rareform (Reissue)
Rareform (Reissue)

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Berzerker' just about sums it up..., 15 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Rareform (Reissue) (Audio CD)
This is one of the heaviest yet melodic albums I have ever heard. After getting back from uni one day, my housemate was playing this album and I was instantly hooked. There is some serious musicianship on this album and it has to be heard to be believed. There are constant tempo changes, polyrhythmic drumming and endless riffs, which sometimes weave in and out of each other. After hearing the downtuned riffery of 'A Vicious Reforming Of Features', the band could be likened to Swedish tech metal band Meshuggah, and there are a few similarities that can be made. Number One: downtuned, 8-string Ibanez guitars. Number Two: endless time signature changes and polyrhythms. And Number Three: just sheer brutality. All the songs on this album are excellent (there are only 8 tracks and the album clocks in at just over 30 minutes). If you like the brutality of Meshuggah mixed with the melody of bands such as All That Remains (within the guitars, not the singing, as there is none, only screaming) then I would highly recommend this album.

Sacrament
Sacrament

5.0 out of 5 stars Again They Will Rise..., 30 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Sacrament (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say? They have done it again - and possibly with their best album yet! Don't get me wrong, I love all their albums, but this was the first Lamb Of God album I bought after hearing Redneck on Kerrang, and I've been hooked ever since! If you are a fan of Lamb Of God, then you will love it; if you are new to metal then this album is a very good starting point! I couldn't choose any standout tracks if I tried because they're all amazing - the sound of musicians at the top of their game. Mark Morton and Willie Adler lay down some amazing riffs to rival even the mighty riffs of 'Laid To Rest' and 'Hourglass' from Ashes Of The Wake - 'Redneck' is a favourite of mine, with a riff to die for!
Album opener 'Walk With Me In Hell' has a really dark opening riff, then it goes into headbanging territory, with some outstanding drum work from Chris Adler! This then runs into 'Again We Rise', a song about heresy - again, a truly amazing song. One of my personal favourites 'Redneck' storms in at Track 3 on the album, the riff is a stroke of genius! Then comes the breakneck 'Pathetic' with a breakdown riff so good it'll blow you away! 'Foot To The Throat' has an interesting breakdown to really give the song some variety, and is a very ferocious song, as the title suggests. The machine gun double pedalling of 'Descending' is astounding - this one's a real thrash song! 'Blacken The Cursed Sun' is an absolute stormer and another of my personal favourites, with the band firing on all cylinders. This is closely followed by 'Forgotten (Lost Angels)' and 'Requiem' which run straight into one another with no trouble at all, and both songs are brilliant! Then comes 'More Time To Kill', a song with a really evil and driving riff, and finally comes 'Beating On Death's Door', a huge sounding song that closes a truly epic metal album! As I said earlier, both Mark Morton and Willie Adler churn out some truly amazing riffs, with John Campbell and Chris Adler making a truly formidable rhythm section and a force to be reckoned with! Randy Blythe's vocals are as powerful as ever, although there is some melody added in on some songs, which I think is a great addition to an already great sound! And as always, his lyrics are brilliant and poignant!
Definitely one of my favourite metal albums from possibly the finest metal band on this planet! I recommend this album!!!!

As Daylight Dies
As Daylight Dies

5.0 out of 5 stars Reject yourself, but not this album..., 18 April 2007
This review is from: As Daylight Dies (Audio CD)
I've only recently got into KSE, as I only started listening to metal about 3 years ago. I was introduced to bands like Slipknot and SOAD, but I must say, I am so glad I bought this album, it rocks...HARD!

From the word 'go' this album hits you straight in the face, all the way from beginning to end. Must hear tracks are: 'This Is Absolution', 'My Curse', 'Still Beats Your Name', 'Eye Of The Storm' and 'Reject Yourself'.

But the other tracks are all good within their own right; for example, the brutal 'For You' is laced with loads of time signature changes, yet still retains all that heaviness. Just give the album a listen all the way through and you'll see what I mean. I don't actually have any other KSE albums, but I'm gonna get them all now, as this is a metal masterpiece.

If you want a metal album that's full of aggression, but with meaningful and passionate lyricism, and s**t hot musicianship, then this is a MUST HAVE!!!