Profile for A. R. Jacubs > Reviews

Content by A. R. Jacubs

A. R. Jacubs (Kent, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
X (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet series Book 24)
X (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet series Book 24)

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor read from a Great author., 14 Oct. 2015
This is by far the worst Sue Grafton book I have read. I have enjoyed all her "Kinsey" novels up to about T but since then she seems to have tired of writing and especially in X relies on "padding" her books out with inconsequential information. Such as medical and scientific details which sometimes go on for several pages by which time one has lost touch with the plot. As for the plots well they get thinner and thinner. I am so sorry to go on like this about a writer who has given me hours of pleasure reading and twice re-reading her early works. I feel that she is straining to complete the alphabet which means she has two more to go. Please Sue if you have to continue on padding your books with boring "stuff" then get someone to help you with the plots and who will leave out the padding. The only part I enjoyed was the last 25% of the book and especially the matters that deal with Kinsey's domestic situation such as with dear Henry and the problem with the neighbours. And why have you skimped her love life and also Rosie's homely café? I will of course buy your last 2 books if I am still around to do so but I do hope I won't have to skip page after page of padding. I am so sorry to be critical of someone who has given me so many hours of reading pleasure in which I felt I knew the Kinsey "family" and her way of life.

Sidiou Group Mini Led Torch 7W 300LM Cree Q5 Led Flashlight Adjustable Focus Zoom Flash Light Lamp
Offered by GLOBAL SOURCING GROUP LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries., 1 Oct. 2015
Have just started to use it and it seems very satisfactory so far. Very bright adjustable light which is ideal for bedside use in middle of the night. Will update report later. Some users say battery life is short so I shall watch out for that.

After 2 weeks of occasional use I have found it eats my Duracell Ultra batteries like no tomorrow. Also flashing light that comes on every other switch is infuriating. Am therefore binning it.

It's Turned Out Nice Again!
It's Turned Out Nice Again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable read., 30 July 2015
This is a first rate read and gives the reader a fairly well balanced idea of the lives of both George and his wife Beryl It is however clear throughout that the authors are trying to “put right” the harsh criticisms of these two artists in other publications. Generally – in my opinion – they succeed but I did find some of the writing in the second half rather disjointed and contradictory. That aside there is no doubt that both George and his devoted wife were loved by millions especially during the war when they both gave their all in travelling to British troops all round the world. It is therefore such a shame that things deteriorated greatly at the end of their lives and especially after George died. Such animosity almost destroyed all the memories of the wonderful entertainment George had given to so many.

I love George's songs (well most of them!) and his playing of the ukulele is simply amazing so I am strongly biased. However there will always remain questions about his private life and I suppose that applies to most show business people. All in all I think this book gets nearer to the truth than those whose authors have set out to ruin George's reputation by talking extensively of his meanness and harsh domination by Beryl. They both gave so very generously to charity which has been well documented and they both spent their fortunes well. Cars, boats, jewellery, furs etc. they were certainly not tight with their hard earned cash – especially George who was the highest paid performer in the country for a time. Also it is clear from many sources that George and Beryl were very fond of each other. I think it is quite possible that George owed his success in no small part to his wife's hard work in organising him and promoting him.

For those people who want to get to know all about George Formby (and his wife Beryl) this is probably not only the best read but also as close to the truth as one is likely to get. For me is has turned out nice again!

You Are Dead (Roy Grace series Book 11)
You Are Dead (Roy Grace series Book 11)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous and unecessary horror., 9 Jun. 2015
I fully realise that Peter used to write horror books and oh boy! does it show in "You are Dead". He must have an incredibly sadistic mind and I would not want to be closely associated with him! He wastes page after page describing the minute by minute suffering of the killers victims which I found both unsettling in the extreme and also so boring. As for the end of the book well Peter really loses all believable plot/story and I seriously have to wonder whether he should go see a psychiatrist himself. As for Roy Grace and his new home and Cleo and Sandy etc. well they hardly feature which is in my opinion necessary in order to create a believable book series. After all, those things are his life and reasons for living. The sheer horror of the victims suffering finally turns into a farcical horror of totally unbelievable proportions. Despite having read all his Roy Grace series I don't think I shall want to risk any more ludicrous horror in a supposedly detective crime series set in a town I know quite well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2015 10:28 AM BST

Tuffa Carbrooke Riding Gloves - Brown, X-Large
Tuffa Carbrooke Riding Gloves - Brown, X-Large

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously too small., 19 May 2015
The gloves delivered were ridiculously small even though they were marked XL. I have a size ten hand and they were even tight on my wife. I could not be bothered to send them back. Having said that I have to say I have worn out 3 pairs of these gloves (proper size and bought elsewhere) and they have been excellent.

BIG EXTRA LARGE BROWN AND BLACK BARRIER MAT RUBBER EDGED HEAVY DUTY NON SLIP KITCHEN ENTRANCE HALL RUNNER RUG MATS 120X180CM (6X4FT)

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate buy., 19 May 2015
This is a very good looking mat for my kitchen. It lies down very flat with the black edging. If it wears as well as it fits and looks it will be a very good buy indeed.

MENS CLASSIC DRIVING GLOVES (505) CHAUFFEUR LAMBSKIN LEATHER DRESS FASHION MOTOR BIKE GLOVE VINTAGE STYLE BLACK (X-Large)
Offered by Kango Fitness

4.0 out of 5 stars Great driving gloves., 19 May 2015
These gloves are made of lovely soft leather and are first rate for driving. However even though I bought the largest size they are needing quite a lot of wearing in to get them to fit snugly but not too tight. My hands are a size 10 and that is the largest size these gloves will fit. My advice to a would be buyer is go for a size larger unless you like them on the tight side.

OPTICAID NIGHT SIGHT POLARISED NIGHT DRIVING OVER GLASSES, DESIGNED TO BE WORN OVER PRESCRIPTION EYEWEAR BY OPTICAID
Offered by Happy Sunny Days

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money., 8 Feb. 2015
I have been driving for 60 years and have to say that these night glasses are a total waste of money. They may slightly help someone who drives for hours at night on motorways otherwise all you will see is a faint yellow tint on everything. I found that even when I moved the specs up and down over a bright stationery headlight the result was much the same. A bright yellow headlight instead of a bright white headlight. I really cannot understand those who found them useful.

Switchblade
Switchblade

1.0 out of 5 stars Michael Connelly's low point., 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Switchblade (Kindle Edition)
Come on Michael you have let yourself down with this so called novel. I had just started to get interested in it when I was confronted with a preview for Gods of Guilt a book I read in November 2013. As others have said this so called book would have been overpriced at 99p. I have purchased every one of M/C's books and read many twice and can't believe he has sanctioned the sale of this. Michael is my favourite author in this genre hence my amazement at this attempt to advertise a "proper" book. It should be withdrawn immediately if only to protect his reputation.

Riding In The Shadow Of Death
Riding In The Shadow Of Death

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this wonderful book to everyone, 23 Jan. 2015
This is without a doubt the most revealing book on Bomber Command I have ever read. I lived every dreadful minute of Bill North's missions. If only this book was made compulsory reading by every pupil from age eleven upwards perhaps many of them would grow up knowing what a huge sacrifice was made by the bomber crews in order to help win today's freedom. I lived next door but one to a B/C bomb aimer who was killed in November 1944. It killed his mother and ruined his father's life. I was only 11 but I remember him so well as he told me what he did. However he left out the terror he must have been going through. These were the bravest of men who it is said helped shorten the war by at least one year. I recommend this wonderful book to everyone!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13